2 stoves on the same floor??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caruso293

Nov 19, 2012
Connecticut
First year burning with the Lopi Freedom Bay insert. I love burning wood and like most of you I have become addicted to all of it. The stacking the splitting the heat etc....My insert is on one end of my 2300 SF colonial. The upstairs is nice and toasty, and on average to warmer winter days the opposite end of the house is a reasonable temp. 65-68. The side where my stove is stands about 70-75. On really cold winter days the opposite end of my house which is the dining / kitchen area is colder than I would like. Prob 62 ish. What are everyones thoughts about putting a smaller free standing stove on the complete opposite end of the home. Not saying I want to burn both 24/7, but it would be nice to have the smaller stove for those really cold spells. Not to mention a nice stove can help the decor of most rooms. At least thats what the wife tells me.

I would suggest a smaller stove that will still offer good burn times. Like a Woodstock Keystone or a Pacific Energy T4.

Nice. Three on one floor. The goal is to have a second stove in the house prior to next years heating season. Any idea on the cost of the T-4? I was also looking at the new Blaze King Sirocco. Still cant find a price on those either. It says 20 hour burn time with a 1.8 cubic inch box. I find those numbers hard to believe, still looks like an amazing stove.

I have two stoves on the same floor in our house now, with the recent addition of the NZ3000 in the living room. We love having two fires going in the house! It has REALLY help balance out the downstairs. Used to be chilly on the one side of the dining room and now with that in the living room it helps balance out the heat. Not to mention that thing is a frigging FURNACE......it puts out some serious heat! I've been able to cut the 1900p in the kitchen back a good bit with the fireplace helping take the load off of it.....

only thing is I'll need a bit more wood every year, but I'm sitting on over 22 cord still so I'll be fine...

Nice. Three on one floor. The goal is to have a second stove in the house prior to next years heating season. Any idea on the cost of the T-4?
Starts at about $1950:
http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/pacaldert4.htm

I was also looking at the new Blaze King Sirocco. Still cant find a price on those either. It says 20 hour burn time with a 1.8 cubic inch box. I find those numbers hard to believe, still looks like an amazing stove.
They are accurate. But, you must remember, to get those burn times, the stove will be producing a low amount of BTU's. If this will heat your area, then you will absolutely get the 20 hours. The more heat you need, the shorter the burn time will be. The BK stoves have a strong following, and if it is sized right for you, it will perform very well.

Did exactly what you propose, for the same reasons. When we remodeled the kitchen a couple of years ago, we put the Hampton H200 in the Kitchen. Really balanced the temps in the house. And, as you have said, it really adds to the decor of the room, in our opinion anyway. If you are interested, you will find in my signature, links to more than you would want to know about ours.;)

Reactions: jjs777_fzr
First year burning with the Lopi Freedom Bay insert. I love burning wood and like most of you I have become addicted to all of it. The stacking the splitting the heat etc....My insert is on one end of my 2300 SF colonial. The upstairs is nice and toasty, and on average to warmer winter days the opposite end of the house is a reasonable temp. 65-68. The side where my stove is stands about 70-75. On really cold winter days the opposite end of my house which is the dining / kitchen area is colder than I would like. Prob 62 ish. What are everyones thoughts about putting a smaller free standing stove on the complete opposite end of the home. Not saying I want to burn both 24/7, but it would be nice to have the smaller stove for those really cold spells. Not to mention a nice stove can help the decor of most rooms. At least thats what the wife tells me.
Some like it hot. But then again it could be a good balance. Stay warm.

Another vote for a second stove at the other end of the house. Exactly what I recently did, but I'm not sure why you would want to go smaller on the second stove. It's nice having equal firepower at both ends of the house, matched reload times, etc.

Reactions: ScotO
I have two stoves. Either can handle the house on "normal" days. It takes both on those frigid cold snaps we get once in a while. I like having both run with small fires, the heat is even throughout the house. With two it also gives me the ability to shut one down if I want to do a good cleaning or other maintenance on the other and I don't have to start the oil fired boiler...

KaptJaq

but it would be nice to have the smaller stove for those really cold spells. Not to mention a nice stove can help the decor of most rooms. At least thats what the wife tells me.
Make momma happy, then everyone will be happy.

I have an f3cb in my family room and a Montpellier in the living room. I need them both when it gets really cold but I can use either one when it's mild and move the air around with a fan on the floor. If I could change anything I would like a larger insert

I have 3 stoves on the same level. I usually only run the Freedom when it's real cold out though.
I agree that it would make good since to not under size the new stove. It's nice to reload around the same time and another plus is that both stoves can run the same size wood. It's very frustrating trying to feed a small stove after you have experienced a big stove reload.

The Sciroco is a nice looking stove but it's pretty small. After doing a side by side comparison of all 3, It appears to have the same cat that the King and the Princess have. I would believe the 20 hr burn times.

I have a pellet stove on one end and wood stove on the other.

We have two stoves , one at each end of the house as well...Fortunately we had the perfect set up off of our kitchen for a wood cook stove, so it worked out perfect, heat and cooking.. Plus now you could bake some bread while your staying warm;lol

100_6512.JPG104_7327.JPG

Ok so I think I am sold on adding a second stove on the first floor. Now the bid decision is what to get. My Lopi is a tube stove and I am very currious to see what a cat stove can do. My burn times with the Lopi have been questionable and I cant help but think that part of it is because it is an insert, and me being very new to this. Even on cold days I would say there is a left over 700-900 SF left to heat up to my comfortable 70-72 temperature. This is the only reason I suggested getting a smaller stove. You all have made good points though about split size in the two different size stoves. Maybe I should start looking at the bigger stoves which unfortunately come with the bigger price tag. I think I would really like the cook top on the free standing stoves. I think then I would actually welcome a power outage!!!

I didn't see anyone mention a pellet stove as the 2nd unit. It's nice to balance things out with the control of a pellet stove. No you won't find free fuel after a nice wind storm like you do with a wood stove but I love burning wood - but there are times I just walk by the pellet stove on a low setting and think to myself glad I dont have to tend it like the wood stove on the other side of the house.

I have thought about a pellet stove. I really like the idea of a pellet stove, however I hate the fact they are a comodity. It seems when oil moves up, as do the price of pellets. I am at war with oil, and I dont like the outside forces to have the ability to dictate my decisions. May sound a bit over the top, I know this. I have been looking on Craigslist and there seem to be some nice stoves for sale. Does anyone know of a New England based company that sells stoves on line. I like thechimneysweep but its based out of WA and the delivery charges to the north east are rather high. Thanks again.

Just contacted a dealer here in CT about the blaze king. They want 3,100 for the Princess, and 2,099 for the Sirocco. Plus 600 for standard instal and delivery which sounds very reasonable. There may be a Blaze King to keep the Lopi company next winter!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.