1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

2-stroke mix for a 6401

Post in 'The Gear' started by Beetle-Kill, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Colorado- near the Divide
    Just got home with the new 6401. Actually reading the manual, and I come across this- 50:1 if using Makita oil, 40:1 when using other oils. Why?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    Because Makita likes to give the impression that their oil is sooo much better than the others.

Any modern 2-cycle chainsaw oil from a saw maker (Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar, Echo) should give you no problems at 50:1. Use full synthetic and you'll notice cleaner parts when you finally have to tear down the engine.
  3. Beetle-Kill

Loc:
    Thanks. I've got a bunch of Stihl HP Ultra, sounds like I'll be good to go. I don't anticipate a tear down anytime soon. JB
  4. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    yep, what he said. just do whatever. i'd do 40:1 probably. On my older Stihl I like to use 25:1, keeps the mosquitoes away, and that way it uses the same thing as my cheap china saw.
  5. atvdave

atvdave Member

Loc:
    Newburgh, IN
    Keep in mind... Check your spark plug color... less than 50:1 will lean out your fuel to air mix.. If running 40:1 or less you may need to richen up your carb...
  6. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    50:1 with any premix oil will be fine. I've never heard of anyone smoking a piston due to burning 50:1 premix.

I burn 40:1 simply because I mix 5 gallons at a time and it makes the math easier (one pint in a 5 gallon can).
  7. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    +1 to this. I had to tweek mine just a hair when I went with a different mix. Got tired of dealing with multiple gas cans of different mixes. Now I only have two.
  8. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Milling I run 40:1 and cross cutting 50:1 stihl ultra but may change do to price.
  9. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    change from Stihl ultra? or change ratios? I have just been using generic synthetic and am happy with that. You saw a LOT more than I do, though.
  10. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    For me, it makes sense to stick with Stihl Ultra. In addition to my saws, I also run two Stihl 4-mix trimmers. The 4-mix engines really do need Ultra to keep them from gumming up (it's not just a marketing gimmick).
  11. HittinSteel

HittinSteel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    Word is Woodland Pro from Baileys is made by the same factory as Dolmar and Echo.....it's what I'm using now.
  12. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Glad to hear I am all in! Cant justify stihl anymore with a 42oz tank.
  13. Singed Eyebrows

Singed Eyebrows New Member

Loc:
    Midwest
    Wacker Corp did some 2 cycle oil testing years ago & gradually leaned out the oil till the mix was 200 to 1. There were no failures & no piston scuffing. They then straight gassed the engine & it seized very quickly. They also said at that time there were 2 or 3 2 cycle oil manufacturers in the US & everybody had their own dye & labels, Randy
  14. Beetle-Kill

Loc:
    That's interesting. Do you have a link to that testing? I'm curious about the 34:1- to 50:1 variation, if any.
  15. Singed Eyebrows

Singed Eyebrows New Member

Loc:
    Midwest
    No, This is just a service manager of a large rental fleet who was involved with the Wacker testing, telling me this about 12 years ago. 2 cycle engines haven't changed much so results should still be valid, Randy
  16. Beetle-Kill

Loc:
    No sweat, I was curious if my 011 would be OK with 50:1, just would make it easier on mixing. My 346 and 6401 should be OK. Thanks, JB
  17. HittinSteel

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    All saws are fine with a good quality modern two stroke oil at 50:1, although I run about 45:1 and a little seafoam. Anything richer than 40:1 and the carbon deposits will become evident.
  18. HittinSteel

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    Yeah I was gonna strain a bottle of Ultra, gotta be gold or diamond flakes in there.
  19. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Make me sick evertime I am on my las couple bottles. 14 inch .043 chain and a 6 pack was over 35.00! Use to order from Baileys a lot. Need some more milling chains now to.
  20. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Brands ratios are good. lol Stihl is way to much.
  21. HittinSteel

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    The key with Bailey's is placing big orders....... wanted to buy a set of their piston ring compressors for $7.99....... shipping was $8.99. I don't think so.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.