2-stroke mix for a 6401

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
Just got home with the new 6401. Actually reading the manual, and I come across this- 50:1 if using Makita oil, 40:1 when using other oils. Why?

Because Makita likes to give the impression that their oil is sooo much better than the others.

Any modern 2-cycle chainsaw oil from a saw maker (Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar, Echo) should give you no problems at 50:1. Use full synthetic and you'll notice cleaner parts when you finally have to tear down the engine.

Thanks. I've got a bunch of Stihl HP Ultra, sounds like I'll be good to go. I don't anticipate a tear down anytime soon. JB

yep, what he said. just do whatever. i'd do 40:1 probably. On my older Stihl I like to use 25:1, keeps the mosquitoes away, and that way it uses the same thing as my cheap china saw.

Keep in mind... Check your spark plug color... less than 50:1 will lean out your fuel to air mix.. If running 40:1 or less you may need to richen up your carb...

Beetle-Kill said:
Just got home with the new 6401. Actually reading the manual, and I come across this- 50:1 if using Makita oil, 40:1 when using other oils. Why?

50:1 with any premix oil will be fine. I've never heard of anyone smoking a piston due to burning 50:1 premix.

I burn 40:1 simply because I mix 5 gallons at a time and it makes the math easier (one pint in a 5 gallon can).

atvdave said:
Keep in mind... Check your spark plug color... less than 50:1 will lean out your fuel to air mix.. If running 40:1 or less you may need to richen up your carb...
+1 to this. I had to tweek mine just a hair when I went with a different mix. Got tired of dealing with multiple gas cans of different mixes. Now I only have two.

Milling I run 40:1 and cross cutting 50:1 stihl ultra but may change do to price.

smokinjay said:
Milling I run 40:1 and cross cutting 50:1 stihl ultra but may change do to price.
change from Stihl ultra? or change ratios? I have just been using generic synthetic and am happy with that. You saw a LOT more than I do, though.

For me, it makes sense to stick with Stihl Ultra. In addition to my saws, I also run two Stihl 4-mix trimmers. The 4-mix engines really do need Ultra to keep them from gumming up (it's not just a marketing gimmick).

smokinjay said:

Word is Woodland Pro from Baileys is made by the same factory as Dolmar and Echo.....it's what I'm using now.

HittinSteel said:
smokinjay said:

Word is Woodland Pro from Baileys is made by the same factory as Dolmar and Echo.....it's what I'm using now.

Glad to hear I am all in! Cant justify stihl anymore with a 42oz tank.

Wacker Corp did some 2 cycle oil testing years ago & gradually leaned out the oil till the mix was 200 to 1. There were no failures & no piston scuffing. They then straight gassed the engine & it seized very quickly. They also said at that time there were 2 or 3 2 cycle oil manufacturers in the US & everybody had their own dye & labels, Randy

That's interesting. Do you have a link to that testing? I'm curious about the 34:1- to 50:1 variation, if any.

No, This is just a service manager of a large rental fleet who was involved with the Wacker testing, telling me this about 12 years ago. 2 cycle engines haven't changed much so results should still be valid, Randy

No sweat, I was curious if my 011 would be OK with 50:1, just would make it easier on mixing. My 346 and 6401 should be OK. Thanks, JB

All saws are fine with a good quality modern two stroke oil at 50:1, although I run about 45:1 and a little seafoam. Anything richer than 40:1 and the carbon deposits will become evident.

smokinjay said:
HittinSteel said:
smokinjay said:

Yeah I was gonna strain a bottle of Ultra, gotta be gold or diamond flakes in there.

HittinSteel said:
smokinjay said:
HittinSteel said:
smokinjay said:

Yeah I was gonna strain a bottle of Ultra, gotta be gold or diamond flakes in there.

Make me sick evertime I am on my las couple bottles. 14 inch .043 chain and a 6 pack was over 35.00! Use to order from Baileys a lot. Need some more milling chains now to.

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
change from Stihl ultra? or change ratios? I have just been using generic synthetic and am happy with that. You saw a LOT more than I do, though.
Brands ratios are good. lol Stihl is way to much.

The key with Bailey's is placing big orders....... wanted to buy a set of their piston ring compressors for $7.99....... shipping was $8.99. I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.