2 Thermostats Placement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

terryjd98

Jul 1, 2008
Ontario Canada
I did a seach on the site but never seen an answer to my question. I am doing a corner install of my pellet stove, room is 15 x 18, stove is going to be pointing towards where the thermostat for my oil furnace is now and also the doorway into the kitchen, thermostat is beside doorframe and will be about 12 feet from stove. I also am planning on installing a thermostat for the pellet stove. Stove is an Enviro Evolution.
So would it be best to leave the thermostat for the oil furnace where it is or move it 10 feet further away into the Kitchen?
Also where would be best spot for the thermostat for the pellet stove to be? In the same room as the stove or in another room a bit further away, like the kitchen. If in same room as pellet stove would an oppoiste corner be a good spot? Let me know where you have your thermostats and how far away from stove,
Thanks for any suggestions

My furnace thermostat was about 10 ft from the stove the furnace never kicked on.
Had to move up stairs to the second floor. because the first floor was to hot, my room sensor is about 12 ft from the stove.
It will always be warm right next to the stove.

I have the same setup as you, and I left the oil tstat where it was (don’t need zone 1 to turn on from tstat) and then moved my stove tstat into the hall going up to the stairs where my bedrooms are. I took temperatures during the day/night for a week to see what the hall temp was when the bedrooms where at a proper temp then placed the wall mount in the hall and configured it accordingly. I bought one of the ThermGuards (http://www.bearmountaindesign.com/) so it will go on the tstat where my stove is and cycle water every few hours for a few minutes at a time so the zone1 pipes don’t freeze.

I also left my original T-stats where they were, and put the stat for the pellet stove about 16 ft away in the kitchen and set it for 70. I also installed a ThermGuard on my upstairs stat so the pipe doesn't freeze (it runs through an un-heated attic). So far, so good.

The room with the stove gets to about 72, and the kitchen is 70, and the back hallway also gets to 68.

My room with the stove on #3 gets like 80 I'm still trying to get the air movement down :) but I need a week of straight cold to see what works best. Below is my floor plan I need to figure out if closing the door between the kitchen and hall with help move more heat up stairs and then just point a table fan in the dining room towards the kitchen.

Attachments

• house web size.jpg
    house web size.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 760
Sounds like I am going to have to move the thermastat for my oil furnace to a point farther away then the pellet stove heats yet will still come on in the real cold weather. Same with the tstat for the for the pellet stove, try different spots in the house and see where it runs the best to keep the house at a good temp.
Thanks for the replies
Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.