2 Tons of Cubex!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Madhouse27

Jul 22, 2008
Coastal Maine
For the first time in my pellet life I am completely pumped up about the pile out in the garage. I just got a couple of tons of Cubex pellets put away and I'm feeling good about the upcoming heating season. I had to pick them up myself but it was worth the extra effort. One thing that impressed me was that every single bag was perfect. The place I bought them has an honor system in place to replace any suspect bags. It was not needed. I'm close to Bar Harbor, Maine and while there are several options for pellet delivery there seems to be a real shortage of quality choices when it comes to brands of pellets. EBS and Dysarts seem to specialize in pellet mediocrity, with price appearing to be the defining criteria. While I applaud their efforts to support Maine based businesses there certainly has to be a market for a brand of pellet other than Athens, East Corinth or Maine's Choice. Been there for two seasons, and while the Maine Choice were acceptable my goal for this year was to secure a supply of a high quality pellet. I had a little taste of quality two years ago when Home Depot somehow ended up with a few Rocky Mtns and I scored the last ten bags of them. These days Home Depot and Lowe's seem to be stocking the Maine Choice brand plus one of the middle of the road national brands. They seem to be having a price war, how about somebody trying to win by offering a superior product. Sorry to rant, anyway, I decided to check back at Evergreen Home Solutions where I bought my Harmon. It was quite a sight. Their pellet line-up consists of two brands: Cubex and Oakies. Perfect. The Cubex are slotted at a price point about $30/ton below the Oakies. Bought two tons of the Cubex and will probably grab a ton of the Oakies as some icing on the cake. It's going to be a fun winter.

Quality pellets make one's life much easier... good luck.

You are going to LOVE those Cubies....all the stacking work will be worth it. They are one of, if not THE best hardwood pellets going, and very close if not equal to the best softwoods from the Pacific NW.

Mad house-you may want to try SIB Enterprises in Jay.They deliver anywhere in the state for free,their summer price on Okies was $260 and you can still get them for $275 which I believe is still $25 cheaper than Evergreen with free delivery.

Got two ton of Cubex and two ton of Oakies sittin in my shed. Still have oil in my tank from three years ago...life is good!

Chan

Curious what the cost per ton for pellets is?

Before I got my wood stove I checked into it and I was looking at $300 a ton.

I did the math and it was nearly 3x the cost vs using natural gas or wood.

The price varies greatly. Depends on many factors. The trick is to find the best pellet at the lowest cost. It took me a couple of year to figure that out. I paid $265 for the Cubex and $245 for the Okies. Last year I burned two ton for the season (Approx $500 total cost) and burned almost no oil. That's at least half off my regular heating bill with oil. I did spend a lot of time insulating my house (A 200 year old Colonial) and it has paid off :)

Chan

I figured it by million BTUs. Pellets were $28 per million BTU, natural gas was $12 as well as wood (at $200/cord)

krooser said:
Quality pellets make one's life much easier... good luck.
Simple Truth....... Could not say it any better than that !!!!

NATE379 said:
I figured it by million BTUs. Pellets were $28 per million BTU, natural gas was $12 as well as wood (at $200/cord)

I heard natural gas was cheap in Alaska. Wow. I don't blame you for a financial reason but the heat from a pellet stove is unique and gives the room the stove is in a certain ambiance. Similar to a wood stove but not as "Peaky". More even heat. I'm hooked. I can't believe I'm saying this but I am actually looking forward to those cold days so I can come in to the warmth and comfort of my pellet stove heated family room.

Chan

cat900 said:
Mad house-you may want to try SIB Enterprises in Jay.They deliver anywhere in the state for free,their summer price on Okies was $260 and you can still get them for $275 which I believe is still $25 cheaper than Evergreen with free delivery.
I appreciate the tip. I kind of looked around online looking for some other pellet delivery options but didn't come across these guys. Thanks!

NATE379 said:
Curious what the cost per ton for pellets is?

Before I got my wood stove I checked into it and I was looking at $300 a ton.

I did the math and it was nearly 3x the cost vs using natural gas or wood.
I paid $275 a ton for these. Like you, I weighed out some different options before making my stove decision. I ended up going with pellet over wood simply because it was so much more wife friendly. If I'm not around she can fill it and turn it on with zero anxiety. It may cost a bit more than a traditional wood stove, but a couple hundred bucks over a six month heating season isn't going to break the bank.

I was getting lumber at Lowes this morning and happened to walk by the pellets. $8.95/bag, so just under $450 a ton.

Now I'm not sure if this is the cheapest around, but I would imagine it's right in line with what everyone else is selling them for.

NATE379 said:
I was getting lumber at Lowes this morning and happened to walk by the pellets. $8.95/bag, so just under $450 a ton.

Now I'm not sure if this is the cheapest around, but I would imagine it's right in line with what everyone else is selling them for.

WOW!!! :bug:

i just bought 6 tons of Cubex...and delivered from 30 miles away they were $255 per ton.

Nice.... How does Cubex measure up to Somersets ???

This is nice to read, I have ordered 3 tons of Cubex from Southern Maine Renewable Fuels. I also bought some nice pellets from HD in 2008...they were Blazers and man did they burn hot. Last season I bought Maine's Choice and I'll never burn those again. I bought .6 tons more pellets and ran out sooner. I just didn't get near the amount of heat from the Maine's Choice. I hope the Cubex live up to my expectations.

IIRC,

oakinagans
cubex
hamer hot ones

are 1,2,3 from J's testing.

NATE379 said:

thats alota money..isnt that what a gallon of milk cost as a remember seeing it on a tv show?

Status
Not open for further replies.