2 trips to wood cutting area, pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Cool enough here to cut wood. Mosquitoes weren't bad eihter
Yesterday I cut 5 trees to get loaded.
Small bull moose ran thru the opening while I was gassing up. Never see one that close to a road when I'm moose hunting.

100_7707.JPG100_7710.JPG100_7711.JPG

Went again today. Spitting rain as I was finishing up.
2 trees filled the trailer & some on the truck.

1st pic is the first tree all in the trailer, about 17" at the base.
100_7712.JPG

2nd tree over 20" a base, 20' up it branched out with 3 big limbs. Finished filling the trailer & had to put some on the truck.
Gap in the middle is for the ATV.
100_7714.JPG

Both loads, Will get it split & stacked next day it don't rain. Hopefully tomorrow.
100_7716.JPG 100_7717.JPG

Beautiful pics. I'll be up there end of next week. I hope the reds arrive on the Kenai for us.

Dave, it's incredible the amount of birch you process. Is that your land you're cutting on? Would love to see Alaska sometime.

I think Dave does a GREAT job up there! To SOME people down our way White Birch isn't so desirable, especially in New England-I personally like it-but up there to Dave White Birch is like GOLD!

I think all of us on this forum should each send Dave a few splits of Hickory, Oak, Apple, or any other rockin' hardwoods that the poor guy doesn't have access to up there! Load him up for the Winter....

Dave, it's incredible the amount of birch you process. Is that your land you're cutting on? Would love to see Alaska sometime.

Thanks
Is it my land?
Well kind of. I'm cutting on State of Alaska land. I pay $10 per cord & need to register & have a permit.

I consider US & Alaska land my land.
❡ "This land is your land, this land is my land" ❡ kinda thought process LOL

Reactions: milleo
I think all of us on this forum should each send Dave a few splits of Hickory, Oak, Apple, or any other rockin' hardwoods that the poor guy doesn't have access to up there! Load him up for the Winter....

Thanks
I'm "all in" for this one :)
If every member from the lower 48 would send 1 or 2 cubic feet.
Maybe when "Free shipping to Alaska" happens LOL :)
I've never been "subsidized" or "bailed out" but I could get into something like this. LOL :)
Bring it::P

Only wood with better BTU than this, please:
AK-WOOD-BTU.jpg

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Sure it wasn't a big skeeter that went through? :)

Well he scared me for a few seconds. You know how it is when you take off your hearing protection.
My hearing was OK, but I could hear thump thump but not pick up the direction for a few seconds.
There I was, bull moose charging & me with an empty chain saw & no firearm close.
It just kept on trotting away & I'm thinking how good his hind quarters would look hanging on a meat pole ;)

Thanks
I'm "all in" for this one :)
If every member from the lower 48 would send 1 or 2 cubic feet.
Maybe when "Free shipping to Alaska" happens LOL :)
I've never been "subsidized" or "bailed out" but I could get into something like this. LOL :)
Bring it::P

Only wood with better BTU than this, please:
View attachment 70219

After seeing your choices up there I REALLY want everyone to send you some better fuelwood!

Have you lived there all of your life, or did you once live somewhere that had Oak, Hickory, Maple etc.?

After seeing your choices up there I REALLY want everyone to send you some better fuelwood!

Have you lived there all of your life, or did you once live somewhere that had Oak, Hickory, Maple etc.?

Grew up in the Pittsburgh area, some years in WV, 80 miles S. of Pitts & some in PA, 30 miles S of Pitts.
Dad had a sawmill in WV.
Few years in Oregon, Klamath Falls area.

Well he scared me for a few seconds. You know how it is when you take off your hearing protection.
My hearing was OK, but I could hear thump thump but not pick up the direction for a few seconds.
There I was, bull moose charging & me with an empty chain saw & no firearm close.
It just kept on trotting away & I'm thinking how good his hind quarters would look hanging on a meat pole ;)
Yummy....Gotta love them rump steaks........

Dave, $10 is a sweet gig! Thanks for the shots of the trees. Never knew Quaking Aspen was white. Anyhow, great job and keep it up.

Nice work bogydave,I see your running with chains on the back, is it muddy?

zap

Nice work Dave.... $10 a cord....... And you pull it right to the truck! Love it.

As always. Love the pics and the scenery.

Nice neat rounds there, I've become a birch fan myself. I think I got converted reading some of your posts a while back. Nobody else really bothers with it so there's plenty around. For me it burns long and hot. The fact that it splits easy and seasons quickly is a bonus.........:)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Glad to see you are at it again Dave. The wife just mentioned the other night how she can tell the daylight is getting shorter here. I checked today and we have lost about 15 minutes since June 21st. I'm not ready to start cutting again though.

zap

I was going to ask about that also Dave.

Dave, $10 is a sweet gig! Thanks for the shots of the trees. Never knew Quaking Aspen was white. Anyhow, great job and keep it up.

The 3rd pic on the first post shows the aspen grove real white trees, most of the birch was cut to the line of aspen. Small tree close on the right is cottonwood. You can see the trail goes down & to the right where there are quit a few birch I can get to.

zap

Not wet, just hilly & soft organics, vegetation & mossy top layer.
Hard to see but it's pretty steep to pull the logs up to the landing area I made. Without chains, I spin out on the hill when pulling logs. Also I have to pull up hill slow so not to roll the ATV over if the log gets stuck. As it is, I have to stand on the right foot rest & lean out & forward to have the right front tire bite in enough to make the front end turn. Slow, easy & smaller logs now that I rolled it 1 time already coming up the hill.

Yea please don't roll that sucker again Dave. We like the pics too much to see you hurt or worse. A C

More like I don't put any pics up cause it would make Dave look bad. hehe. What he cuts in a whole day I do before I go back in the house for breakfast :p

(where's that little face dude with a stick poking?!)

Seriously though it takes me about 5-6 hours to cut, split and stack a cord. Dunno if that is good or bad but that's working at a reasonable pace.

Oh I cut some maple the other day. The couple I had planted last did didn't survive the winter. They were maybe 2" across, but I cut it and put it in my wood stack just so I could say I burned some.

The birch looks nice and easy to process though once you haul it to your cutting spot. Since you have a BK I bet it burns long enough.

I get 12-14hrs out of a full load. The birch we have is up there for BTUs vs any other hardwood that grows in the lower 48.

Status
Not open for further replies.