2 trips to wood cutting area, pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
More like I don't put any pics up cause it would make Dave look bad. hehe. What he cuts in a whole day I do before I go back in the house for breakfast :p

(where's that little face dude with a stick poking?!)

Seriously though it takes me about 5-6 hours to cut, split and stack a cord. Dunno if that is good or bad but that's working at a reasonable pace.

Oh I cut some maple the other day. The couple I had planted last did didn't survive the winter. They were maybe 2" across, but I cut it and put it in my wood stack just so I could say I burned some.

It certainly is a lot easier and faster when all you're doing is bucking up, splitting and stacking wood all in one pile . . . but just not as cheap.

Saw plenty of Alaskans harvesting wood while I was out there . . . some folks up in Willow off the Willow-Hatcher Pass Road were harvesting birch from where we rode the ATV . . . and then down in Hope a number of folks were bucking up beetle kill spruce hauled out to the road . . . I kindof wondered how many were cutting up the wood for use this Fall though . . . .

Many I'd suspect. I had a guy call last week and wanted 7 cords delivered in October for this winter. I could have said sure, your on the list, but I warned him that it wouldn't be burnable. He went off on a rant about me being full of crap about "seasoning" wood, it burns better when wet, etc.
Told him to have a nice day and left it at that. Can't fix stupid.

I have to stack it on my trailer so it takes a bit of time as well. Where I'm cutting the wood is a few miles from my house, though most of the wood has been going to people in Anchorage. There's no way I could meet the demands of the customers if I was felling the wood as well. I'd have to invest a TON of money into heavy equipment to make it profitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.