2 Used stove options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mol1jb

Feeling the Heat
Jan 8, 2014
Central IL
Hey all,

I have been scouring craigslist for a while looking for used stoves. I have an opportunity to purchase one of 2 stoves in my general area. What I am looking to heat is 1200sqft of main level, medium insulation, at a supplemental heat level. I have burned 24/7 in the past and am not looking for that kind of commitment. Chimney is not installed yet. I would like to run it through the living room wall then up the interior garage wall through the roof. Here are my 2 options:

Napoleon 1100 pedestal: Plain door, no blower. Guy bought and never hooked up. Never used. $625

PE Super 27 legs: plain door, blower, ash drawer. Don't have as much info on this one but looks like it wasn't used much. $600.

Both stoves are fairly close in size, and have low clearances. I am leaning toward the Napoleon currently since it is unused and has the lowest side clearances of 10", which works well in our smaller living room.

Jump in with your thoughts.

Thanks,

Both are decent deals. I prefer the Super 27 design and the bit larger firebox, but the Napoleon should get the job done as a supplemental heater. The Napoleon wants good draft so be sure the chimney is tall enough. The Super 27 is less fussy.

Both are decent deals. I prefer the Super 27 design and the bit larger firebox, but the Napoleon should get the job done as a supplemental heater. The Napoleon wants good draft so be sure the chimney is tall enough. The Super 27 is less fussy.

Yes I had thought of that due to the fact that my house is a ranch with a low pitched roof. I don't want a ton of chimney sticking up on top of the roof.

Both should be solid stoves . . . I personally like the PE better, but can completely understand going with a stove that has never been used.

Nothing wrong with the Nappy, but the PE is darn near legendary in the smaller stove world. The design seems to equate to holding an extended fire when compared to other stoves of its size.

Happy to report that I bought the used PE today and am excited to install it this coming fall. I appreciate all the advice offered. In the end with our future chimney setup I felt that it would be the best fit for our install.

Congrats. Sounds like a solid deal.

I am a leg man myself.

Congratulations. Hope the stove serves you well. If you are going to purchase wood, buy now and stack it top covered in a well ventilated location.

I have about 3 cords that I split in spring 2015 so that I am good on.

Status
Not open for further replies.