2 wall stove pipe not as efficiant?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can believe single radiates more heat, especially with two stories involved.

I had single and tried talking my installer of the new stove into single, because of the more heat. He would not back down saying single is too sloppily made and doesn't last.
Now I am glad for the double, more cost, less heat out of the pipe,... But, less air for same draft, much less creosote -- creosote condenses at a higher rate in single, and the pipe is built to last.

The single plus shield seemed like a good idea.

"I had single and tried talking my installer of the new stove into single, because of the more heat. He would not back down saying single is too sloppily made and doesn’t last."
Well there is a fine example of a installer not knowing his ass from a hole in the ground, have you ever seen the 22 and 24 gauge welded pipe, and I have 30 year old stove pipe off my old stove that looks like new on the inside. There are a bunch of people who sell wood burning stoves and accesories that do not have a clue.

Forgot- I have burnt wood for over 30 years using single wall stove pipe and never had a creosote problem, single wall pipe is not a problem as long as you dont have way too much of it or other issues with the chimney. A lot of misinformation being thrown around here at times.

oldspark said:
... have you ever seen the 22 and 24 gauge welded pipe, and I have 30 year old stove pipe off my old stove that looks like new on the inside...

I have not seen nice single wall. My last pipe did look pretty flimsy. It used a press seam and unsealed joints that allowed gases in or out depending on circumstance. I have the clearances, so the install would work with the better single-wall that you describe.

Thanks,

Bill_in_CV said:
oldspark said:
... have you ever seen the 22 and 24 gauge welded pipe, and I have 30 year old stove pipe off my old stove that looks like new on the inside...

I have not seen nice single wall. My last pipe did look pretty flimsy. It used a press seam and unsealed joints that allowed gases in or out depending on circumstance. I have the clearances, so the install would work with the better single-wall that you describe.

Thanks,
Sounds like you saw the cheap stuff, I would not use that pipe any where, night and day difference, this is one brand of 22 gauge. You are not the first to have never seen the better single wall stove pipe.
http://www.northlineexpress.com/multiple_items.asp?cc=8HeatFab

Took out the double wall pipe that ran from the ceiling to our wood stove today and installed the new single wall...fire has been going for an hour now and we can already feel the difference!! Thanks for all the replies, it helped me to make the right decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.