2 wood ID requests and my wood piles :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joefrompa

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2010
SE PA
First wood:

Wood1a.gif

Wood1.gif

I think this wood #1 is elm.

This is the second wood:

wood2b.gif

Wood2a.gif

Wood2.gif

This one was free from a neighbor and has a honeycombed grain and a distinct yellow tint in person. Very wet when freshly split. Any ideas?

And here are my wood piles!

StackedWood.gif

UnsplitPine.gif

The first one is a oak. The water oaks have a thin bark like you have shown but I don't know about water oak in Penna. That said. there are over 50 types of oaks and you have one of them. Second pix looks like popular to me. Good shoulder season wood when it dries out. David

I'm gonna say pin oak and maple, but it is sat. night and a few beers.......

First pic is for sure oak, not sure the type though. Last pic of second type looks like ash, however, pic above that not so much, maybe norway maple? or box elder.....

R. Oak, Hard Maple, Ash

#1 certainly looks like Pin Oak (Hard to see them in the pic, but Oak has medullary rays, "radial sheets or ribbons extending vertically through the tree across and perpendicular to the growth rings.")

#2...No clue.

I think you have two kinds of wood in your second set of pictures.

Not pin oak but red oak, maple and ash.

First one oak. Prolly red.Second one looks like Sassafrass .Common here

Black Oak (I see orange inner bark), and Norway Maple.

Sorry, you guys are right - I posted 3 woods:

Agree that the first one is oak - neighbor just downed an oak with identical bark, he said pin oak.

Second wood has 2 pics that are in a row. You guys are saying maple? I believe that, as it split well but was still quite hard and heavy.

Last one is ash, forgot where that came from :)

Status
Not open for further replies.