2 wood stoves--- finally warm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sebring

Oct 3, 2011
PA
I have a englander 30 and it is great. Throws lots of heat. But no matter how hot I got the stove, the house would struggle to break 65. Its in the basement, obviously not the ideal placement. So I tried something. I unhooked the oil furnace, and plugged another stove. fired them both up and now the house is 70+ Now here is the good news. I can burn them both at low air and use about the same amount of wood I was trying to blast with the englander 30.

Glad your warm.

Just be certain that the old oil furnace chimney is rated for wood stove use. Even some masonry chimneys that were designed for an oil boiler may not be safe for a wood stove. And metal pipe may not be class A, wood rated.

pen

I'm headed in the same direction. It was 22 degrees this morning with 25mph+ winds. 1st floor just wouldn't go past 63. Just not enough BTUs to keep up with the loss. Hooked up a 100lb tank to the furnace and even it seem to struggle to make 3 more degrees were I let it give up and shut off.

Yep, we have one stove near each end of the house [house is rectangular so one stove near each narrow end in whichever room]. We can heat the house with either stove, but there will be some pretty coolish areas. We also have a third stove out in an attached greenhouse we only burn maybe a dozen times a year. But some days we need all three.

Yeah I found it better to have two smaller stoves, one on each level than one large oversized basement stove. Much more even heat throughout.

sebring said:
I have a englander 30 and it is great. Throws lots of heat. But no matter how hot I got the stove, the house would struggle to break 65. Its in the basement, obviously not the ideal placement. So I tried something. I unhooked the oil furnace, and plugged another stove. fired them both up and now the house is 70+ Now here is the good news. I can burn them both at low air and use about the same amount of wood I was trying to blast with the englander 30.

I'm curious, is this an insulated basement? How hot does it need to get down there to achieve 70+ upstairs?

Status
Not open for further replies.