20 hour burn with red maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

trguitar

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2011
Harvard, MA
Finally we are starting to get some decent burning weather here. It was in the low 30s last night, and 40s today. I loaded up the Progress at 9 pm with red maple. 70 at the other end of the house when I went to bed. Got up at 6:00, and it was 72. Left for work at 9:15 am, still 72. Got home at 5:00 pm, and it was 68. Stove top was around 275.

Loaded up with more red maple at 5:30 pm, and there were enough coals left for it to catch immediately.

Loving the Progress!

Red Maple ain't too bad, really. Seems to go longer than Silver, in my experience. I've been burning mostly Black Cherry which will go slightly longer than the Red. 20 hrs. is tough for me, with a 1.5 cu.ft. box. ;lol

Last edited:
I wish I had some red maple. Guess I’ll have to make due with lodge pole pine and crappy 12 hr burns. You guys with hardwood make me sick. Lol

12 hrs with pine is excellent! I've got a bunch of eastern white pine ready for this winter, so I'm interested to see how long I can make it go.

I wish I had some red maple. Guess I’ll have to make due with lodge pole pine and crappy 12 hr burns.
Red Maple probably doesn't burn much longer than Lodgepole. Now, Sugar (Hard) Maple will burn a while. But there's nothing wrong with a 12-hr. burn; That would fit most peoples' schedules. You probably have dead Lodgepole out there that is ready to burn the day you cut it, whereas we have to dry most of our wood. Red Maple will dry quickly, though. Six months split, stacked and covered over the summer is usually enough to have some decent-burning wood.

Red Maple probably doesn't burn much longer than Lodgepole. Now, Sugar (Hard) Maple will burn a while. But there's nothing wrong with a 12-hr. burn; That would fit most peoples' schedules. You probably have dead Lodgepole out there that is ready to burn the day you cut it, whereas we have to dry most of our wood. Red Maple will dry quickly, though. Six months split, stacked and covered over the summer is usually enough to have some decent-burning wood.
We have a lot of standing dead that you could burn right away. It’s very dry here and windy. 3 days after splitting green pine it feels like it has lost half its weight in the summer. The pine is doing great, it has been holding down the fort so far.

Reactions: Woody Stover