20 hr burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
coolidge said:
Sorry for the delay, had too work. The house is 3300 sq ft this includes the basement, i store stuff from freezing down there. Then there is the woodshead that is insulated and heated with the summer kitchen above it totaling 480 sq ft. So all in all almost 3800 sq ft. House is pretty well insulated with 4"(R28) closed cell foam in walls and 7"(R49) closed cell foam in attic.Basement walls have roughly 2.5"(R 17) closed cell foam. All windows have been replaced with Anderson 400 series. Main floor is all radiant, basement is baseboard hung around the perimiter and upstairs is all baseboard.

Wood boiler is the Portage and Main Optimizer 250 gasification, hold 240s gallons of water no other storage anywhere. YET
Wood is 3 years seasoned oak, beech, rock maple, locust. Cut to 22"
NO other source of heat.

Temps were 10 to 14 degrees F at time of 20 hr burn -11F at 830 last night at feeding time, with -15 at 5 am boiler was still about quarter full.
Loading schedule is between 7 and 830 pm full fire box 6 to 630 am fill the box half full for the day. Keeping in mind the length of the wood (22") i am only putting maybe 8 cubic feet in there at fill up and roughly 4 cubic feet in the morning.
Last year the old MB55 took at least four full fireboxes a day which did add up too about a cord a week(too much for me) and it wouldnt heat this shack for nothin, so my estimates are last year 13 FULL cord, this year i am hoping for 6 with a average house temp of 68 to 72.

13 doesnt scare me but the more heat less wood is sweeet. Makes much more sense now Thanks For The Info. Unit looks very well built. Whats the ball park price for just the unit?

I got mine for 10, 600 but others have gotten them cheeper i think. Saw a post earlier that was around 9800 i think, might not have been the gasser though.

coolidge said:
I got mine for 10, 600 but others have gotten them cheeper i think. Saw a post earlier that was around 9800 i think, might not have been the gasser though.

Thats the part that throw me out of the loop......12 cords will have to do for a couple more years....Looks Awesome though!

I know what you mean SJ. I bought and installed (everything) my EKO40Super for $6500. I only heat half the area that coolidge is though. Wonder how that thing handles wood with snow on it too??

Cave2k said:
I know what you mean SJ. I bought and installed (everything) my EKO40Super for $6500. I only heat half the area that coolidge is though. Wonder how that thing handles wood with snow on it too??

Thing looks like it would burn bricks. Not in my budget but new house sure be worth a strong look.

Threads in the wrong spot anyway

CodyWayne718 said:
Threads in the wrong spot anyway

Could be why some boiler specific questions remain in the air. Still looks nice. If it gets moved to the boiler room I hope they find out why the primary heat exhanger only has 6-2" tubes. Is it to restrict burn rate and extend burn time? Hmmm...?? Do you know coolidge?

Status
Not open for further replies.