20 Saw Deal - Thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Hi guys,

I have chance to pick up 20 saws - following models: Husqvarnas: 266 (3), 268 (2), 272, 338xpt, 353, 61 (4), 51 (2), and Stihls: 019t, MS170, 025, 028 (3).

There were 30 other saws, but they weren't worth my effort (very old stihls and lots of small huskys).

I've been having fun working on saw and selling the saws or parts on eBay - again, I'm ultimately happy if I can make 40 or 50 per saw - I just like working on them.

Here is the deal for the saws: $1700 ($85/saw). Obviously condition is everything and I need to drive about 2 hours to check them out - if they are really beat, I'll likely pass. But, assuming they are in reasonable shape, what do you think of the price? Thanks!

Cheers!

If its what you enjoy doing, its worth it right there, making money is just a bonus. "Live Free or Die" (soon to be buying up your way!) Be Well

That's my thought too - worst case, I think I could break even and have a lot of fun + keep learning how to work on saws. I love NH - great state to live in - but also love PA - worked for a few weeks in Potter County, real pretty. Cheers!

I've been having fun working on saw and selling the saws or parts on eBay - again, I'm ultimately happy if I can make 40 or 50 per saw - I just like working on them.

Kinda says all that needs said ;)

Maybe even get a better deal up close. :)

Reactions: ScotO
Fair enough - I'll make plans to go see the saws - pics if it happens! Cheers!

If you go to see the saws go up with 1200 in 1 pocket and 500 in the other, I bet they take 1200 or run you up just a bit....good luck, it's worth the trip if this is what you like to do...

If you go to see the saws go up with 1200 in 1 pocket and 500 in the other, I bet they take 1200 or run you up just a bit....good luck, it's worth the trip if this is what you like to do...
Hi take note of the old stihls,and any other old big saws.
If you can get some of them cheap they are sot after.
Thomas

Subscription. In case the sale starts here.

Some are nice units.

I don't have any Husqys and the 266/268/272 all would be good for my first. Anyhoo, I like old stihls, too, especially big ones.

Old Stihls over 70cc's could very well be worth your while (041, 051, 056, etc) to pick up. Sounds worth investigating, they didn't post any pictures at all?

Reactions: ScotO and Danno77
Ha! No pictures MM - I need to go look them over. There are two 041's in the lot, but from what I've seen on eBay, the are real hit and miss - seems like only excellent condition saws do well. I contacted the seller and hoping to head down tomorrow to see the saws - we'll see!!! Cheers!

After you buy the "newer" saws, give me a line on the Guy and some pics, I'd be interested in the "old" STIHLS. That's my mainstay in the stable here!!

I'm into the old "iron"!! BTW, I agree with Ram.......try to haggle a bit. You show 'em $1200.00 cash, I'm betting they'll bite!!

Reactions: Danno77
Hi Scott - the older Stihl's are the 2 041's, 2 009's, an 015, 6 031's and 3 032's. I'll take a good look and some pics for you. Cheers!

Id be interested in the 041's and the 015, even just for parts. If you can get them thrown in on the deal, (so long as they aren't TOTAL junk) I'll buy them off of ya.....

Okay - I'll give them a real good look and let you know - Cheers!

What's with all these 032's coming out of the woodwork lately?

I would not go much over 30.00 a saw buying the whole lot. If I can pick the ones I want 85.00 good to go!

Reactions: mikefrommaine
Smokin - he wanted $65/saw for the 50 saw lot, but I didn't about 30 of them - quite a few snoozers - so asked about the 20 I wanted - he came back at $85/saw ($1700) for those cherry-picked units. If the condition of the saws is very good, I'll be pretty happy - but if they are rough, I'll have to go quite a bit lower and leave the deal if we can't work out a better price. Cheers!

Reactions: smokinj
I have had no problem selling those smaller Husky saws to the suburban crowd. They need a Poulan, they want an XP saw, so they settle for the orange color Husky branded Poulan/Craftsman/whatever. Not as much as a profit margin on them but the parts are also a hell of a lot cheaper.

Yes, they would likely sell eventually, but I figure if they needed a lot of work, at $65/saw, and the parts to fix, I'd have a real tough time getting my money back on the homeowner Huskys. Cheers!

If the saws are parts saws without bar and chains 85 seems high. If they are complete and running or need minor repairs (fuel line or carb cleaning) than it sounds like a good deal.

Fwiw I've sold a couple 61's for 185 and a 268 powerhead only for 260 recently on CL. None sold overnight but there was a fair amount of interest.

Good to know Mike - I won't know until I see them - we'll see!!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.