20% still to high?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisNJ

Feeling the Heat
Sep 25, 2009
Burlington County
My wife complained about my 20% Honey Locust sizzling to much, (which I have yet to see) so I got a load of my super dry emergency stash in the shed which flares up immediately and she loves, but isn't 20% supposed to be sufficient? It was dropped and bucked 9/09 and split and stacked in the sun within a couple months of that. I thought anything under 25% was good to go.

If she dont like it, somthing wrong! Normally the furnaces will burn great with less than perfect wood. When the last time you clean the chimmey?

it is important to check the inside of the wood, this requires a split. If you are getting 20% on the outside you can be sure the inside is closer to 25/27%

20% inside of a resplit large split, yea not really sure what she didnt like, I will seek some clarity.

ChrisNJ said:
My wife complained about my 20% Honey Locust sizzling to much, (which I have yet to see) so I got a load of my super dry emergency stash in the shed which flares up immediately and she loves, but isn't 20% supposed to be sufficient? It was dropped and bucked 9/09 and split and stacked in the sun within a couple months of that. I thought anything under 25% was good to go.

Throw your moisture meter away. Burn your driest wood first. If you don't know which wood is driest replace your woodburner with a propane unit.

ChrisNJ said:
20% inside of a resplit large split, yea not really sure what she didnt like, I will seek some clarity.

I have never used a moisture meter and don't have creosote issues. If the wood lights and burns "right"- then it's dry enough. If it's popping etc freaking your wife out when the stove is opened- that may just be a locust thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.