20 year old Consolidated Dutchwest Cat stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
Installed this stove when I built this house about 20 years ago. The chimney is Stucco cultured stone and the hearth is bluestone. I replaced the cat once so far and last night it ran over 8 hrs. and was still running catalytic when I got up! Many have remarked that this is a junk stove but I have to say it has served me well and it still looks and runs like new. The blower is something I grafted on and bought from grainger for about $30.00 instead of the overpriced one from the manufacturer. All I needed to do was redrill the mounting holes and paint it black..

Ray

Attachments

• IMG_1815.JPG
    IMG_1815.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,259
  • IMG_1816.JPG
    IMG_1816.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 1,056
Glad ya got a good one. I have always liked the look of the DW stoves and darn near bought one in 1985.

BrotherBart said:
Glad ya got a good one. I have always liked the look of the DW stoves and darn near bought one in 1985.
Hi Bart!
Yeah I was sold the minute I saw them.. At the time they were running a sale plus I got all the accessories free too... Too good to pass up. Since I've resolved my draft problem it has been running great and not a single back puff for 3 weeks straight and I run 24/7.... What I want to get now is a good enameled cast iron steamer for short money... Ya gotta have patience if you want good deals!

Ray

Leelli said:
Aren't lampshades combustible?

Yes they are but that isn't as close as it appears.. Plus there is no door on that side of the stove.

Ray

SlyFerret said:
raybonz said:
I replaced the cat once so far

So, is that the new cat or the old cat there in the picture?

-SF

That's the new cat, we ate the old one and it tasted like chicken! :)

Ray

I think that stove looks great. It has an old timeless look and goes perfect in that house. I dont blame you for keeping it as long as it keeps you warm and burns clean its all good. :)

A nice setting a nice home. A 20 year old stove, I think it has proven itself. I think the saying that goes for this one is (They sure dont make them like they use to.) Good on YA. N of 60 ;-)

whphel said:
I think that stove looks great. It has an old timeless look and goes perfect in that house. I dont blame you for keeping it as long as it keeps you warm and burns clean its all good. :)

Thanks whphel!
The 1st floor is rustic with exposed beams and basically all wood (Log home with standard construction on 2nd floor).. I have learned lots at this forum so someday when it's time for a new stove I can make a good decision.

Ray

north of 60 said:
A nice setting a nice home. A 20 year old stove, I think it has proven itself. I think the saying that goes for this one is (They sure dont make them like they use to.) Good on YA. N of 60 ;-)

Hello North!
Thanx for the kind words! Sounds like you live in God's country where you are. Would love to visit there someday..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.