20 year old craftsman dead....finally

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ironpony

Minister of Fire
Jan 22, 2010
mid-ohio via St.Croix USVI
my twenty year old 14" craftsman that would not die, finally did
lost compression, not sure why
really dont care, doesn't owe me anything
still have my really old pioneer p20 which cuts great
and the newer husky
hate to just toss it out in the trash
but no sense it leaving it lay around

I'm usually hopeful that certain tools will die so I can get something new. But then when it actually happens, I always have mixed feelings about actually throwing it in the trash.

Put it on Craigslist as a freebie...someone will either scavenge it for parts or rebuild it or sell it for scrap. All the above are better than the landfill..

DanCorcoran said:
Put it on Craigslist as a freebie...someone will either scavenge it for parts or rebuild it or sell it for scrap. All the above are better than the landfill..

Yup. in 2003 I put my just-dead push mower out on the curb,it was gone the next morning.

We have an alley that runs behind our house. Whenever we want to get rid of something with value, we put it behind the house in the alley and then post the location on the Craigslist freebie section. It usually takes less than 2 hours to disappear.

Thistle said:
DanCorcoran said:

Yup. in 2003 I put my just-dead push mower out on the curb,it was gone the next morning.

Thats how I got the mower I use to trim around the gardens before using the rider
picked it out of someones trash and as I was loading it the lady came out and said
hold on I have the bag in the garage, she brought it out to me
replaced gas line has run reliably the last two years

RIP.......just saw on the Stihl website you can get a new MS170 with a 14" bar and chain...for $179....not a bad deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.