200 and counting!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigjim13

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2009
Central Vermont
Last friday it was 65* here and I dared to think spring may finally be here. Well was I ever wrong!! Over the weekend it got cold again, temps have been on avg around 10-15* cooler than "normal" for this time of year. Soon i will be scraping down the stove and giving it a quick cleaning. I will then put bag #200 into the hopper, also the last of my stash. I had planned on getting another 15-20 bags to get through for awhile but just heard on the radio that temps this weekend will be in the single digits :(

So, made some calls and TSC is out, HD still has freedom fuel for $209/ton and soon I will be calling a few local dealers. No point really in buying just a few bags when I can get a ton for just over 2 bills....sigh, I'm ready for winter to be done!!!

It is because of things like this that I always have an extra ton on hand. You aren't the only one who is a bit down over this cooler than "normal" string of months, even one of the "the extra heat is in the pipeline" CAGW folks is concerned because there hasn't been any significant global warming since 2000 and the cycle went to cooling in 2002.

Oh well, mother earth is delivering a lesson.

Global Warming, give that man a prize.

Eric

Just called my local dealer, they have NEWP for $219, MWP for $224, Northern for $230 and turman oak for $256. I have been burning the northerns and like them, may try the NEWP though.

Bigjim13 said:
Just called my local dealer, they have NEWP for $219, MWP for $224, Northern for $230 and turman oak for $256. I have been burning the northerns and like them, may try the NEWP though.

Stay w/ the Northerns, IMO. Their only $.22 more a bag, and a better pellet.

Well, I really can't believe it, but I just dumped bag #200 (shoulder season CleanFires) in my stove tonight. This is the most pellets I've used since i started burning them, and I can forsee burning until the middle of April (mostly at night). Rough estimate will be 210-215 bags before this winter nightmare is finally over. :bug:

I just talked to the global warming folks and they said "nope, it wasn't cold and is still getting warmer. There was less BTUs in the trees this year"

I just inquired with my "Global Warming " folks as to the decreased temps this year but they didn't have time to talk to me. In fact, they were too busy trying to create an excuse as to why they were not protesting the Lybia air strikes to be bothered with their "Global Warming" rhettoric.

On bag 205 I think now, it was cold over the weekend. Glad I decided on another full ton, this just came across the weather service: Storm watch in effect from late thursday thru Friday night, all central and northern vt and northern Adirondacks of NY, moderate to heavy snowfall mixed with rain at times in the lower elevations, accumulations of 4 to 8" in lower elevations, 7 to 14 inches above 1000'.

I am starting to think we are going to skip spring and summer and go right to fall again...

I have a 175 year old house without the best insulation and a new 125 sq.ft. addition to heat. I have a Harmon P61a and I just put in bag number 300. The upside is that I am never cold and aveagae a temperture of 70-75 night and day all winter. I have just noticed that pellets are going up in price around here. We do not have a lot of choice in pellet delivery options. Vermont Woods are now going for $279 ton with a two ton mininum and LG's are $269. I am a big believer in buying now for the next heating season, but I am wondering if I should wait a bit.

Sawduster said:
I have a 175 year old house without the best insulation and a new 125 sq.ft. addition to heat. I have a Harmon P61a and I just put in bag number 300. The upside is that I am never cold and aveagae a temperture of 70-75 night and day all winter. I have just noticed that pellets are going up in price around here. We do not have a lot of choice in pellet delivery options. Vermont Woods are now going for $279 ton with a two ton mininum and LG's are $269. I am a big believer in buying now for the next heating season, but I am wondering if I should wait a bit.

Vermont's can be had for $245 picked up at the mill. I burned 2 tons of them this year and was not excited about them. They seem to burn WAY fast in my P61. A local dealer here has Northerns for $230/ton and that may be what I do for next year. They seem to burn alot better for me this year.

Personally, I don't think we will see as wild a price swing as everybody is predicting. There are more dealers, more producers and a better supply than the last time that oil went through the roof. I could be wrong though.

203 so far this season .... looks like I will be burning all April as well...

Vermont's can be had for $245 picked up at the mill. I burned 2 tons of them this year and was not excited about them. They seem to burn WAY fast in my P61. A local dealer here has Northerns for $230/ton and that may be what I do for next year.
I thought I was crazy, but I guess not; I also thought the Vermonts burned up really fast in my P61 as well! They also seem to be very "sticky" they don't slide down the hopper well at all, and they seem to produce a very black slightly sticky ash as well. I refuse to haul pellets in multiple trips with my little car just not worth it to me so I have to get them delivered. I checked again and the LG's are $259 rather than the $269 that I originally stated. I guess I will get four tons of these to mix in with the 3 tons of VT that I currently have in storage.

Sawduster said:
Vermont's can be had for $245 picked up at the mill. I burned 2 tons of them this year and was not excited about them. They seem to burn WAY fast in my P61. A local dealer here has Northerns for $230/ton and that may be what I do for next year.
I thought I was crazy, but I guess not; I also thought the Vermonts burned up really fast in my P61 as well! They also seem to be very "sticky" they don't slide down the hopper well at all, and they seem to produce a very black slightly sticky ash as well. I refuse to haul pellets in multiple trips with my little car just not worth it to me so I have to get them delivered. I checked again and the LG's are $259 rather than the $269 that I originally stated. I guess I will get four tons of these to mix in with the 3 tons of VT that I currently have in storage.

I am glad to know that I am not the only one who thought they burned fast. So far all the people I have talked to love them and I really WANT to like them being that they are local. I just can't justify spending more per ton for a pellet that burns FASTER that another. I really like the NOrthern's in my stove. They put out good heat and gave good burn times. I also bought a few bags of NEWP's, the dealer has those for $219...we shall see.

224 the most ever
last year 200
glad I have a 15 ton buffer left......

Status
Not open for further replies.