2000 Avalon Olympic 1190 cracks in secondary air chamber repair question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bushman

Burning Hunk
Dec 28, 2014
Northern Michigan
Yesterday I traded an old Kawasaki 3 wheeler and a Ruger 10/22 for a used Avalon Olympic with a pedestal and blower. The stove is in very good shape other than its was missing the secondary air tubes, Y bracket and it has a few cracks in the T shaped area of the secondary air manifold and corners.

I researched a few posts about Lopi Libertys having the same problems along with some other Travis steel stoves. Was there ever a repair kit for this or could my welder fix this more efficiently?

Some posts from pro welders say not to weld the stress crack but, what would be the fix, to weld plates over top of the cracked areas? Has anyone bought the repair kit from Travis?

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1194.PNG
    IMG_1194.PNG
    168.3 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_1195.JPG
    IMG_1195.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_1196.JPG
    IMG_1196.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_1198.JPG
    IMG_1198.JPG
    221.8 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_1199.JPG
    IMG_1199.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_1197.JPG
    IMG_1197.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Depending on your skill level at welding, I would weld patch plates over the cracks. All that steel does is conduct air and hold your firebrick in place. It's not like a crack on the exterior of the firebox.

Yesterday I contacted a fellow from Travis Industries and was informed they did not have pre made kit's for covering the cracked areas.

Tonight I will try to get the stove to the welding shop and see what they come up with, should be a simple job.

My concern is having raging secondary burns from these cracks instead of the stainless tubes and it just doesn't look nice.