2003 Model Enviro Windsor System Light Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bretm1

Mar 31, 2009
Buzzards Bay, Ma.
Hello

I have a 2003 Enviro Windsor model pellet stove. I did a search for this topic, have read the owners manual and now am looking for some direction. Just replaced the gaskets in my convection blower assembly, cleaned the fan blowers,the innards, and the outside pipe.

Part of the housing attached to the blower assembly had a couple of stripped screws, it was jiggling a bit, and when I took off the whole assembly I decided to bite the bullet and clean the inside of the blower assembly. There were a couple stripped screws on that assembly which I replaced with the next size up self tapping screws. I put the blower assembly back together, re-applied the red-hi temp sealer then ended up putting the whole thing back together.

I had it pulled away from the wall while doing this, so I stuck it back in, put some hi-temp clear silicone around it and fired it up. The reason for this long explanation is to set up possible scenarios where I might have "done something" wrong leading to the issue.

Finally the issue. The unit will only operate in whaty I will call a start up mode. This unit has a circuit board which controls the operation of the stove and then "turns it over" where you can adjust the fan speed settings, etcetera. It will stay on no problem, it just stays in this mode. Newer models have a switch where you can go manual, but mine doesn't. I do not have a thermostat hooked up to this stove, have tried resetting the board (by unplugging the unit and plugging back in) and now I am grasping at why it is stuckl like this. Could it be because it is too warm and the unit will not "fire up".

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Apologies if this topic has been covered. If so you can "flame me" ( but also direct me to the link)

Thank You
Bret-Buzzards Bay MA.

can you start a fire with a handfull of pellets and fire gel? will it feed as well as turnover? does the exhaust fan run? check your low/hi check level switches.. the low limit switch in usually mounted in line with the exhaust housing somewhere.. disconnect and jump it.. if the stove works, then you know its that. do the same with the other (usually mounted on the hopper/auger tube area)... if it works when it jumps it, then its that. next, jump the vaccum switch (round metal or plastic disk w/ a tube coming out with a set of wires running into the disk.) if it works then, its that switch. otherwise its a circuit board.

Thank you. The fire starts on its own and it keeps going without shutting off. It just is frozen where I cant control the speed of the convection blower. (the one that sends the air through the tubes on the top of the unit into the room) The lights light up on the panel, but the speed doesn't change.

I jumped the 120 F degree temp sensor (aka shut down sensor) which is on the exhaust combustion blower and turned the unit back on and the convection fan ran on a "medium" speed, but I could't control the speed with my control board. This sensor will shut the unit down when the temp drops below 120.

I jumped the 160 F degree temperature sensor and the convection blower went to a high speed. This sensor on this unit will activate the convection blower to high when the unit reaches 160 degrees and bypasses the control board, so I couldn't control the fan speed. I hooked everything back up again, the stove fired up, but is still stuck in the frozen mode with the system light flashing.

There is also a 200 degree manual reset switch which shuts the auger down if the hopper reaches 200 F. I haven't tried jumping this yet.

The vacuum sensor I am aware of as I have bypassed that before. This will shut the auger down if the exhaust blower fails. I have this bypassed right now just to see what happens. As of RIGHT NOW, it is bypassed, my system light IS NOT flashing, and I still get no speed increase on the fan( or any reaction) when I turn the heat level up.

Sorry for the overload of explaining and I appreciate the help.

The irony here and another point I will bring up is that PRIOR to this work being done, the unit would only start when I set the Heat Level Setting on High. At that time it would fire up, then after that I could turn it lower if I wanted. I wonder if this leads us back to a control board issue?

sounds like a board to me. or.. do you have a tstat hooked up?

No thermostat. I will check with the store where the stove was bought and see if maybe they can diagnose or verify that it is the board. I just checked on the price at woodheatstoves.com and the control board is 250.00.

Thanks for all of your help summit.

Update:

I found the issue. The jumper wire on the thermostat connection on the back of the control board came out. Must of happened when I was taking taking everything apart. There is no thermostat connected and when that is the case, the thermostat terminal has to be jumped. Lo and behold when I removed the control panel, the jumper was out. I put it back on, fired her up and now everything is status quo.

Thanks Again!!

that explains your issue... i thuoght maybe if you had a tstat, maybe the wires were crossed or the relay bad... but the jumper explains it.... good 2 know it didn't cost you 250 bucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.