2004 Dodge Cummins aka - (The New Wood Hauler)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont let anybody on here talk your truck down you got a great truck!

Dieselhead said:

Thanks, I'm not to worried about what anyone thinks as I put a lot of research into the Dodge and knew what I was getting into besides everyone is entitled to their opinion lol.
I checked yesterday and mine is an 04.5 also as the HP rating is 325 and it has the 48re tranny so I'm happy :thumbsup:.

Dieselhead said:

Thanks Zap! I have waited 12 years and 3 months since I sold my last truck to be able to afford to go back to college and finish my Mechanical Engineering degree so it was pretty satisfying.

seeing as you in sled pull heaven in the ohio/indiana area if you go to any pulls you see what brand is dominant!!! Hell I come from CT to Terre Haute every year to watch them Strong Dodges pull. You will have no problem finding a good diesel shop out your way if the need arises also.

I have a 2004.5 , 3500 Dodge diesel , 5 spd standard, single axle. I love it. Had to do ball joints and an in tank fuel pump. Other then that it's been trouble free. Over 20 mpg. 125,000 miles. Bought it with 85,000 miles on it. Removed the cat, installed turbo back 5 inch pipe. Truck has Amsoil in everything from the front to the rear. Have a couple of people always asking if I ever go to sell the truck to let them know.. It's a quad cab short box. You'll love the truck so much it'll be your daily driver. You put your time in to find that, great find!

certified106 said:
Singed Eyebrows said:
certified106 said:
greythorn3 said:
dodge has never made a transmission that was worth a hoot and never will im sure.

Dang I wish I could have found a low resale value but it took darn near two years to find this one. I agree the stock tranny is horrible if it is not maintained properly however it really only takes about $550 dollars of upgrades to pretty much make it bullet proof. There is a local guy about 45 minutes form here who works on nothing but Dodge cummins engines and the tranny that is attached to it. ALL the locals swear by him even the guys buying almost brand new trucks take them down and have the tranny reworked. My best friend has three Dodge Cummins and all three tranny's have been reworked for under $600. His 1 ton dually has 275,000 hard miles on the tranny and is still going great and that truck is constantly pulling a huge skidsteer, 5'th wheel, or very large farm equipment. I already called and set up the appointment for the tranny work so I will let you know how it seems afterwards. I will say the original owner had the bands adjusted every 25,000 miles (saw the receipts) and the tranny still shifts great and drops into gear really solid.
I'd be interested to find out what is done with the tranny reworking. My guess would be a valve body mod. I would recommend doing a pan drop & band adjustment & filter change every 12,000 miles. You only get rid of 4 to 5 quarts out of approx. 18 this way. Good luck there, Randy

I'll get the specifics when I take it down there but what I know so far is he replaces the reverse gear, rebuilds the valve body to be a locking valve body, upgrades some solenoid, raises the tranny pressure, and adds a locking switch to the truck so the tranny can be locked into any gear and you can shift it like a stick. From what he was saying one of the major problems with the tranny is the stock tranny pressure isn't high enough and it's hard on the bands. Once he performs the mods listed above the tranny shifts really solid into every gear. I have driven a few with these mods and the difference is incredible. If you are going to be using the truck for major pulling all the time he usually wants to replace the torque converter and overdrive gear also but he siad 80% of people don't need that. We will see how it goes.
Sounds like he knows what he is doing. The greatest diesel trans man I know of, Bill Kondolay from DTT, says that your hydraulic pressures determine the life of your trans. Dodge could have easily done a better job, unfortunatly many heavy duty truck owners want an automatic that shifts like a passenger car. Randy BTW, regarding the Cummins engine. This is the only medium duty diesel engine available in a pickup truck. All the others are light duty. The Cummins is rated for 300,000 fully loaded miles, light duty is 100,000 fully loaded miles.

Never heard of Bill before, though I know of several guys that do pretty good work.

$550 isn't going to make a 48RE "bulletproof" but it will sure help, more so with stock power levels.

I HOPE the rebuild I did on mine this summer is going to hold up for a while. Had a slow leak that turned into a big leak and melted town while towing a only few tons. Truck does put down some power though, have run 14 sec 1/4 miles with it.

My 47RE was shifting like a poltergeist got in it. Its had an easy life, with very little towing. I was told by the dealer a long time ago that if I used the synthetic fluid (+4) that I only needed to change the filter, big mistake! It's getting better as I did a filter & pan drop oil change(thanks Blades for use of the warm shop). I think theres a bit of band material in the valve body, hopefully it will work its way out. Randy

I've had the pleasure of owning 2 Dodge Ram 2500's. I drove the '99 for 5 years before I gave it to my Dad. Gave it to him with 207,000 miles on it in '04. It now has 263,xxxmiles on it.

When I gave my Dad the old Dodge Cummins, I bought a '04.5............I've got almost 190,000 miles; of which 170,000 miles have been BOMBed!!!!!!! BOMBed is an acronym for Better Off Modified Baby!!!!!! Of the 190,000 miles, almost 2/3rd's of those have been towing some sort of trailer.

On the rollers, my '04.5 puts down 383hp and 787ft. lbs. torque. On the "tune" I'm running now. That's "Rear Wheel" numbers boys...........not flywheel..........like the engine manufacturers use!!! I've got the 6 speed rower, so I'm not gonna 1/4 mile anyone. But if you wanna go 60-100mph; you'd better have a fast car, because once the turbo lights, she's gone!!!! I'm running the "Smarty Revo SO6" tuner on my '04.5.

If that truck is a clean as you say, and you can get it for a price you think is fair................I'd say buy it. The Cummins motor is a "medium duty" motor in a what's classified as a "light duty" truck. This motor is different configurations is in trucks that have GVW of 30,000lbs.+!!!!!! Enough said there!!

dorkweed said:
I've had the pleasure of owning 2 Dodge Ram 2500's. I drove the '99 for 5 years before I gave it to my Dad. Gave it to him with 207,000 miles on it in '04. It now has 263,xxxmiles on it.

When I gave my Dad the old Dodge Cummins, I bought a '04.5............I've got almost 190,000 miles; of which 170,000 miles have been BOMBed!!!!!!! BOMBed is an acronym for Better Off Modified Baby!!!!!! Of the 190,000 miles, almost 2/3rd's of those have been towing some sort of trailer.

On the rollers, my '04.5 puts down 383hp and 787ft. lbs. torque. On the "tune" I'm running now. That's "Rear Wheel" numbers boys...........not flywheel..........like the engine manufacturers use!!! I've got the 6 speed rower, so I'm not gonna 1/4 mile anyone. But if you wanna go 60-100mph; you'd better have a fast car, because once the turbo lights, she's gone!!!! I'm running the "Smarty Revo SO6" tuner on my '04.5.

If that truck is a clean as you say, and you can get it for a price you think is fair................I'd say buy it. The Cummins motor is a "medium duty" motor in a what's classified as a "light duty" truck. This motor is different configurations is in trucks that have GVW of 30,000lbs.+!!!!!! Enough said there!!
The Smarty is real nice, do you have that 3 cylinder cold idle on yours? That was the only feature I wasn't wild about. I'd put one on my 99 except I would run it on economy setting(the most timing lead) & that would tear up my trans fast, Randy

Singed Eyebrows said:
dorkweed said:

The Smarty is real nice, do you have that 3 cylinder cold idle on yours? That was the only feature I wasn't wild about. I'd put one on my 99 except I would run it on economy setting(the most timing lead) & that would tear up my trans fast, Randy

The 3 cylinder idle is only on the 24valve VP equipped trucks I believe. Not the "common rail" 5.9liter trucks which were from '03-'07.5. On my '04.5, from the factory, and even with the Smarty downloaded, I have the "automatic" "high idle" feature which is based on engine operating temps and "cold air induction" temps. IOW, the 'puter bumps up the idle RPM's to 1000rpm from 750rpm when the ambient outside temps and engine temps are below a certain temp. Comprende'???

dorkweed said:
Singed Eyebrows said:
dorkweed said:

The 3 cylinder idle is only on the 24valve VP equipped trucks I believe. Not the "common rail" 5.9liter trucks which were from '03-'07.5. On my '04.5, from the factory, and even with the Smarty downloaded, I have the "automatic" "high idle" feature which is based on engine operating temps and "cold air induction" temps. IOW, the 'puter bumps up the idle RPM's to 1000rpm from 750rpm when the ambient outside temps and engine temps are below a certain temp. Comprende'???[/quote Oh, I understand, do you? Randy

That's about what mine is at I'd guess with the injectors I have in it.

I know it makes over 500hp to the rear tires with the TST all the way up. It's ok quick, but it pales to the 300hp WRX I used to have... could hit 80 in that before even grabbing 3rd gear.

dorkweed said:
On the rollers, my '04.5 puts down 383hp and 787ft. lbs. torque. On the "tune" I'm running now.

Beautiful truck Certified. Treat it well with maintenance and it will treat you well. It will go 0-60 pulling the biggest loads at an incredible rate if you want it too. Take your time getting there instead and it will take you there many times more. Fewer times if you repeatedly try to set records and race the Corvette beside you. Treat the power with respect as I know you will. I have a 97 12 valve 5spd tweeked out but I drive it easy. Love the power, sound and the reliable mileage it gives me. I will maintain my drive line and keep this truck to the end of my existence. Its getting a new paint job this spring. Beats spending $60 grand on a new one with wimpy sound and $hity mileage. Enjoy your new ride. 04 still was a great year. :coolsmile:

north of 60 said:
Beautiful truck Certified. Treat it well with maintenance and it will treat you well. It will go 0-60 pulling the biggest loads at an incredible rate if you want it too. Take your time getting there instead and it will take you there many times more. Fewer times if you repeatedly try to set records and race the Corvette beside you. Treat the power with respect as I know you will. I have a 97 12 valve 5spd tweeked out but I drive it easy. Love the power, sound and the reliable mileage it gives me. I will maintain my drive line and keep this truck to the end of my existence. Its getting a new paint job this spring. Beats spending $60 grand on a new one with wimpy sound and $hity mileage. Enjoy your new ride. 04 still was a great year. :coolsmile:
Nice truck, you got the big pump on that with the 5 speed. I'd like to eventually get a 97 or early 98 3500 with the 5 speed, unfortunately demand has driven prices through the roof, Randy

Singed Eyebrows said:
north of 60 said:
Nice truck, you got the big pump on that with the 5 speed. I'd like to eventually get a 97 or early 98 3500 with the 5 speed, unfortunately demand has driven prices through the roof, Randy

Yes, the Bosch P7100 with a proper machined B&D fuel plate, Star wheel set so only little smoke an very hard acceleration.I am not a young kid any more and the black smoke is just pointless in my honest opinion. Fifth gear nut tabbed,Dowel pin holder modded, 4" stainless exhale B&D turbo back exhaust with muffler and 5"polished SS tip. Stock injectors.
EGT and boost gauges on pillar. Modded fittings on Turbo plumbing for 30psi boost at 2100rpm. 28 miles per Canadian gallon @ highway long distance cruising. Yes I am not joking. :bug: 2-wheel drive extra cab SLT.
Mods done at 185,000 Kms. 300,000 on it now. No diesel starts like a Cummins in the cold. Sorry for getting off topic from the OP. :red: I just love my old Donkey.
Cheers!

Attachments

• Wood Haul.jpg
    Wood Haul.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 290
north of 60 said:
Singed Eyebrows said:
north of 60 said:

Yes, the Bosch P7100 with a proper machined B&D fuel plate, Star wheel set so only little smoke an very hard acceleration.I am not a young kid any more and the black smoke is just pointless in my honest opinion. Fifth gear nut tabbed,Dowel pin holder modded, 4" stainless exhale B&D turbo back exhaust with muffler and 5"polished SS tip. Stock injectors.
EGT and boost gauges on pillar. Modded fittings on Turbo plumbing for 30psi boost at 2100rpm. 28 miles per Canadian gallon @ highway long distance cruising. Yes I am not joking. :bug: 2-wheel drive extra cab SLT.
Mods done at 185,000 Kms. 300,000 on it now. No diesel starts like a Cummins in the cold. Sorry for getting off topic from the OP. :red: I just love my old Donkey.
Cheers!
What is sad is that I had a chance to buy a 97 2500 4wd stick & I wanted the newer 24 valve. I did get a very clean, no 5th wheel, 2500 2wd that was basically a new truck. I have 200,000 on it now. I bought it at 71,000 miles & the VP went out at 105,000. My truck is stone stock except for a Raptor 100 feed pump. If the VP doesn't get good pressure it's history. I drove an early 98 2 valve 3500 5 speed low miles that had everything right with it. They wanted $20,000 3 years ago. It was tough to give the keys back with that truck, it was a joy to drive, Randy

Wheres the rest of the truck?????
congratulations
the engine will still be running strong
when the rest of the truck has fell apart
just the way it is

ironpony said:
Wheres the rest of the truck?????
congratulations
the engine will still be running strong
when the rest of the truck has fell apart
just the way it is
Absolutely, better to have a nice engine than nothing though, Randy