2009 Tax Credit on New Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wet1

Minister of Fire
Apr 27, 2008
USA
I know the details aren't scheduled to be released for this $300 credit until March (or later), but does anyone have a feel for which stove should or might be included?

Looking at the EPA ratings, it appears all wood stoves are thrown into one of two "Default Efficiency" rates of either 63% or 72%. I know some stove manufacturers have done independent testing and rate their stoves even higher (eg: Blaze King rating their cat stoves up to 82.5%). I have a hard time believing the gov. will allow private parties to rate their own stuff, so do you think it's safe to assume a 72% or higher EPA requirement will be the qualifier for this new tax credit? Perhaps the EPA will come out with a higher standard, such as 75%+ and do (very costly) retesting???

Thoughts?

I asked Blaze King about this last week, and this is the response I got:

As for IRS Tax Credit, the IRS (not the EPA), has yet to determine which
test method all manufacturers must use or abide by in order to meet the 75%
efficiency. If any stove is more likely to pass than all others, it will be
a Blaze King King or Princess. The new administration has directed the IRS
to have a final decision by the end of February.

Status
Not open for further replies.