1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

2010-2011 winter prediction, maybe you want to rethink your wood pile

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by fire_N_ice, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Hmmm . . . I like the colder than normal, but not the drier than normal forecast for the Northeast . . . last year we were robbed . . . rain in January washed away all the snow and severely curtailed my snowmobile riding. :(

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    Winter up here was awful last year....no snow, too warm, rain ect. Even in Berlin, NH they were wearing shorts in Jan. So depressing.
  3. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

4. Pagey

Pagey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middle TN
    Don't worry. The last time I checked the Wood Shed, you were 35.387 years ahead anyway. :lol:
  5. Dakotas Dad

Dakotas Dad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Kentucky
    It's all cyclical.

We just had the hottest June ever, by a couple degrees average.

We are ready. 4+ cords on the stack, figure I need 3.
  6. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    No matter how cold it is, I'm looking forward to it this year. The third stove will be installed next month and this place will be a like an oven if I want it to be.
  7. SteveKG

SteveKG Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Colorado Rockies
    Our shed holds a two-yr. supply. About. A milder winter leaves us with better than a year left, a harsher winter leaves us with a bit less than a year. No biggee because of that. I always stay ahead in case I am hurt or something taking a lot of time makes it tough to get it in. The wood, I mean. It is rough and risky cutting up here in snow times due to the steep slopes in the woods and the difficulty keeping one's feet under one in those woods, old limbs and rocks under the snow making for slippery and dangerous footing. So I like to be way, way ahead on firewood. Then whatever the weather, it is a non-event for wood supply.
  8. laynes69

laynes69 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashland OH
    I have more than enough wood for this year. I'm not going to rush winter to get here, but I will be curious how the home will heat. I found close to 1" gaps in the top plates in the attic letting air out of the home. So the whole perimeter of the attic will be airsealed. All the interior walls were sealed last winter. Plus I'm hoping to get some blown in insulation up there and insulate the ductwork. Currently we have maybe 3" average in depth because it settled. I want to get at least 12-16" more up there. With all that combined we should see a huge improvement. Hopefully in wood reduction and comfort. Currently the garden wants to see plently more of this warm weather so old man winter can stay away.
  9. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Plenty of wood here too. I have about a 1/3 of this years in the shed, and the rest will be filled in soon.
    The stove is being repaired by a friend who is a mech. engineer and a VERY good welder. We'll see how it comes out, but I hope to use less wood this year. While the stove is gone, the new tile and hearth will be put in, but that's for another post.
    Back on topic. This is a pic of the one and only birch in the yard. Notice anything? I don't remember it turning this early in the year, but maybe it's just the nature of the beast. Or, maybe it's the beast of nature coming on.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.