2010 Harman Advance grinding/scraping at mid-level heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

downtocamp

Oct 11, 2008
Central Maine
Hi, everybody - been lurking a long time - have learned so much from you guys on this site. Got my Harman Advance a couple months ago and love it for the most part. I scrape down the burn pot every few days and clean it well 1 x week. But I noticed when I turn it down to 63 degrees at night, the grinding and scraping begin. They happen a few times per hour. It's pretty loud. What is that? Anybody know? I called a guy from the Harman dealer over and he put a stove gasket in between the heat shield and the component above it saying someone else with an Advance had the problem of the shield rubbing up against it, but that didn't do the trick. I recall reading someone else's post who had an Advance with the same problem, but can't recall what he said and if he had a solution. It works fairly quietly and efficiently when I've got it running on room temp at 68 degrees on low and the feed at 3, but setting the temp below 65 seems to bother it somehow!! Anybody familiar with this and what's causing it? Thanks! Oh, and I'm including a pic of my cat who's made her bed on top of my stove - a cozy scene, eh?

Attachments

• Molly on Stove - Small.jpg
    Molly on Stove - Small.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 202
you shoulda given me a call when the gasket between the motor and the heatshield didn't work! If it didn't, then it was not the vibration from the offset auger motor against the shield causing the noise. Call the shop tommorow, and I'll set you up a time to check it out, maybe swap out the motor.

downtocamp said:
Hi, everybody - been lurking a long time - have learned so much from you guys on this site. Got my Harman Advance a couple months ago and love it for the most part. Oh, and I'm including a pic of my cat who's made her bed on top of my stove - a cozy scene, eh?

Welcome downtocamp,

Nice looking install you have there. And the kitty looks like she is enjoying it too!

Enjoy you new stove and stop by anytime. Glad you joined and said hello. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.