1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

(-: 2010 Pellet review its that time again! :-)

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by jtakeman, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Indeck I might be able to find, But Lumber Jacks might be a tough one. I am always on the look out and you never know.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. fidiro

fidiro New Member

Loc:
    Central NJ
    Philip
  3. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Philip Who?
  4. fidiro

fidiro New Member

Loc:
    Central NJ
    Philip up that hopper and keep on testing.

I just had to.
  5. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Yes, Sir! :) hehe! good one!
  6. fidiro

fidiro New Member

Loc:
    Central NJ
    OOOPPPS added UP when Philip already includes it. :coolsmile:

I wouldn't have even considered the pellets I bought if these tests weren't done and proof with pictures was shown. Real world testing is us using our stoves.
  7. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    SIH results are complete. Mighty nice pellet for $150/ton Sign me up I want some!

Nick you got a good pellet there! WOW! :)
  8. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Looks like we have a freeze warning for tonight and next weeks temps do go much higher than the low 60º's. Sure hope the Stove chow can keep the house warm.

The Freedom Fuel are just about finished up. I should be posting results tonight and updating what I can for the stove chow.
  9. geek

geek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central CT
    jay, I'm interested on the results of the Stove Chow from Lowes......will keep an eye to this thread tomorrow.....
  10. imacman

imacman Guest

Geek, I'm sure Jay will have a little more "scientific" results on the Stove Chows, but I burned a couple of bags a week or so ago, and I was pleasantly surprised....ash was acceptable, and heat wasn't too bad.
  11. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Pete, Science isn't everything. What the seasoned burner says usually means alot. Seasoned veterans don't buy bad pellets! :)

Geek, I got the temp average of 244ºF which is pretty decent. It will be sometime before they are fininshed to get all the other results. So far so good.
  12. geek

geek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central CT
    guys, i poured 1 bag of Freedom Fuel i bought at local HD as a test and it is burning hotter than the green team i tried from lowes, much hotter..!!

Also, little fines in bag, not much.

Lastly, these freedom fuel pellets well just like the Okies, just like pine......did i miss something?

Is this a soft or hard wood pellet, it doesn't mention it on the bag, it says "Super Premium".
  13. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Geek, I think there coming from 2 different mills. check the thread that tink has on the Freedoms. Mark Fellows found different than my batch too! My batch/mill has large diameter pellets around 5/16 of an inch. Mark said his were small. I also found corn in my batch too.

Is yours 1/4 inch diameter?
  14. geek

geek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central CT
    yeah, these pellets are small but diameter a bit "fatter" than any other pellets i've seen, all other pellets i've tried are thinner definitely.
  15. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Break up a few and see if you see some corn pieces in them. You should see yellow bits in the pellet if there the same batch/mill as what I burnt. The stove chow was a lot hotter than these.

Freedom burned OK, Better than what I thought from all the bad reviews I have seen. Just not as hot as some of the big guns.
  16. geek

geek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central CT
    no signs of corn, yet.

I now want to check that stove chow......

Attached Files:

17. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    You definetly got the fat batch!

Maybe the corn messed mine up. Corn has a funny way of burning. Slowly releasing its energy and a bit longer to get the heat. Hard to explain, But you don't get the quick flash of heat like a wood pellet. No complaints I'll burn them in the shoulders even with the corn in there.
  18. geek

geek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central CT
    I think you're right jay, i think they may have corn in the mix (even though i haven't seen it yet) but when they started dropping in the pot I thought the stove was going into shut down cycle as the flames got really short, so i went and checked the stat and it was still "ON", so then waited a couple more minutes and they started burning normally.

The positive thing is they seem to burn hot or at least my new toy seems to like them.

C ya....
  19. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    Jay, I'm in for a shipment of SIH for next season if you are :) I sent a link to BT about 'em. Maybe they will stock them next year.
  20. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    I would definetly add them to my stash! :)
  21. captkirk5858

captkirk5858 New Member

Loc:
    Northern Vermont
    i would consider going in on a couple ton if i were closer to you guys......
  22. geek

geek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central CT
    jay,

yep, found corn mix with some pellets, maybe this is why i feel they're burning hot.
  23. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    I finished the Stove Chow tonight and dumped in the Alleghany's. The Alleghany's had some nice heat. To bad I can't get them locally either!
  24. blaster668

blaster668 Member

Loc:
    Northwest PA
    That's great news! The Alleghenys are one of the brands that is readily available around here, and are manufactured fairly locally. I have not tried any of them up to this point. I'm awaiting your ash results, then will likely be off to pick up a pallet.
  25. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    blaster668, I would try a few bags first just in case. Its safer that way as YMMV compared to what I get for results from them. You just never know!

I went to Lowes looking for some Green Teams today. Figured I would test this years before I tried to put more in my basement. But Lowes was out of them. I wound up getting 2 bags of Clean Energy to try in this test thread.

We are heading to Blakeslee soon. I hope to get Counrty Pine, PWI and Western Wood Products to try. Gonna meet iron stove and get the Blazers too. I am also working on a chart for the first post. Don't seem to have the time I did last season. I'll do my best!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.