(-: 2010 Pellet review its that time again! :-)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BTU said:
deprayb said:
Really thinking about getting a trailor load of those SIH up here in Bloomfield, CT only problem is they don't have a truckers who will drive this far :/ maybe my guy will do it for me but the price on those pellets are very reasonable and from what your test say J they are a decent pellet. But a pellet that I can sell for $150/ton and is low ash with decent btu sounds pretty good to me

Brian my guess would be that you have $80+ per ton to get them to you, which makes them not as good a deal as it looks on the surface....

Brian I agree with BTU. Logistics will hurt the price. But if you can get a truckload or 2 and market them at a reasonable price? I'll buy my next seasons stash from you. But one thing you might also want to think about is if you do get them and you cust love them. Can you continue to supply the demand? Because there going to sell! :)

That 150 price was consumer per ton retail. a dealer picking up by the truck load can get an even better deal. Even if it costs $80 a ton, it still can be a profitable sell at $225.... and i'm in for a couple tons at that price :)

you know it doug, I ran the numbers after getting a quote from them for delivery and lets just say it's not worth it. Even if I could get them to my shop for under $50 per ton it still wouldn't be worth it. I'm burning those Curran blend right now in my stove and I'm really pleased with the heat and the amount of ash as of now and I can get the blend much cheaper than either than soft or hardwood pellets alone. Looks like Okanagan and the Curran lineup may be our new deal. Great softwoods from okanagan and a cheaper but still solid pellet from curran. Guess will just have to wait and see

BTU -- in regard to coast to coast transport...

Seeing as you are building a nice NE following, and we are ripe for pellet growth here with all the oil burners in basements, have you looked into bulk rail shipment and packing on the east coast?
NEWP used to do it, if they don't still, so it worked financially at some point.

BTU said:
mascoma said:

Seeing as you are building a nice NE following, and we are ripe for pellet growth here with all the oil burners in basements, have you looked into bulk rail shipment and packing on the east coast?
NEWP used to do it, if they don't still, so it worked financially at some point.

We have looked at it in every possible way...but the numbers still don't work the way they need to ....We would LOVE to do some bulk/custom bagging somewhere in NE if it makes sense, but there are a lot more factors than one might think than to just bring it box cars....pluses and minuses on both sides here, but the railways just aren't set up or willing to play ball yet regarding bulk ...in our opinion. Not to say it won't happen at some point, just haven't been able to do it quite yet.

I hear there is a nice place somewhere in Mass sitting there doing nothing and might be able to be scored pretty cheap? AFAIK there are tracks going right to the building. Silo's and the works, Fairly new too. But the previous occupant couldn't make a profit doing it though.

BTU said:
j-takeman said:
BTU said:
mascoma said:

We have looked at it in every possible way...but the numbers still don't work the way they need to ....We would LOVE to do some bulk/custom bagging somewhere in NE if it makes sense, but there are a lot more factors than one might think than to just bring it box cars....pluses and minuses on both sides here, but the railways just aren't set up or willing to play ball yet regarding bulk ...in our opinion. Not to say it won't happen at some point, just haven't been able to do it quite yet.

I hear there is a nice place somewhere in Mass sitting there doing nothing and might be able to be scored pretty cheap? AFAIK there are tracks going right to the building. Silo's and the works, Fairly new too. But the previous occupant couldn't make a profit doing it though.

I know who you are talking about, but the bagging side of things isn't the real issue, it's what you have to pay the railroads to get it there. There lies the problem and it is something we are working on to see if we can't make it happen, but things in that world don't always happen overnight....if you know what I mean....stay tuned.....

One would think bulk is less work for the railroads than loading rail cars. Unless the railcars are loaded by the manufacture. What about the bagging labor? Labor rates in New England have to be more than whats out west. Were all rich here in New England ya know!

CSX is in the process of moving the rail yard in Allston out west by expanding the yards in Worcester and Palmer (to allow for more commuter trains between Worcester and Boston). So, things will be changing in the realm of rail shipping to NE soon ("soon" being a relative term; it will be a couple of years before everything is completely moved).

Double stack containers seem to be what the railroads prefer these days. Easy to load/unload and transfer to trucks.

They are supposed to be rebuilding some bridges as part of all this yard relocation. I don't know if they are the same as those you refer to. There is private, state and fed $ going into it though. Hopefully whatever happens improves things for the pellet market around here.

Apologies for taking this thread further off topic.

We now return you to our regular programming. ;-)

Gweeper64,

I am a rail buff. Son and I love to watch the rail vids and go chasing our local road. The Housy. So this was very interesting to me! And if getting our pellets shipping charges reduce even a smidge is interesting. Learning about how they are getting to me is interesting. Seeing that some brands go thru a Mass distrubution facility, I'll bet they are hauled by CSX. My son would hope Union Pacific had something to do with them along the way.

Are you in the business or just a buff like me?

Rail buff here too, but not when the driver leans on the horn for atleast a half mile
at 5:00am every morning ;-)

I live about 2 miles from the interchange tracks but in the winter we can hear the engine
chugging so loud it sounds like they are in my backyard.

Come on BTU...give us a hint - where abouts in MA?

Just a buff here too. Well... I was a long time ago anyway; me and my dad when I was growing up. We were H.O. modelers too. (I was a Chessie fan, pre-CSX days. He was a D&H fan). After I went off to school and what not, I just never had much time for it. I still have an interest though. I have the P&W line between Worcester and Gardner a few hundred yards through the woods from my house.

WOW.. This Thread is WAY off Topic.

(Love it)

BTW Jay. Is your burn time readings per bag or for Two in your Testing?

samm6 said:

(Love it)

Yep, We tend to stray sometimes. :) ;-P

The Length of burn is form the 2 bag weights combined. I should be able to figure out my average pounds per hour with them too. But probably over-kill! Only one with a one bag length is the LG's as thats all I tested.

Once you add the new stove and pack in the in route ton. Add the piggy stuff to your sig please! you earned it! :)

j-takeman said:
samm6 said:

(Love it)

Yep, We tend to stray sometimes. :) ;-P

The Length of burn is form the 2 bag weights combined. I should be able to figure out my average pounds per hour with them too. But probably over-kill! Only one with a one bag length is the LG's as thats all I tested.

Once you add the new stove and pack in the in route ton. Add the piggy stuff to your sig please! you earned it! :)

Tanks me Friend..... I will. Building Hearth Pad now. should be done in the AM.

hope to start cutting hole in wall tomorrow.

Then again... highs in the 50's need to get rest of yard work completed and garden tilled and covered.

Winter is here for us. Snow just Melted yesturday... Lows stable in the 20's

Any chance of the moderators applying the sticky to this thread? I love using it when looking at pellets, and I'm sure that many other members would benefit from seeing this at the top.

thanks!

Vermont Wood Pellets results

Temp average 249ºF

Ash volume 12 ounces

Ash weight 3.25 onces

Ash Percentage 0.246%

Density 42.76 LBS.

Fines volume 8 ounces

Fines 3.63 ounces

Fines Percentage 0.276%

Bag Weight Bag 1 41.03 LBS
Bag 2 40.41 LBS

Diameter .254

Length 1/4 to 1 1/4

Total Burn Length: 27 hrs 37 min

Attachments

• Vermont bag1.jpg
    Vermont bag1.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 1,290
  • Vermont fines1.jpg
    Vermont fines1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,051
  • Vermont sample1.jpg
    Vermont sample1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,065
  • Vermont ash1.jpg
    Vermont ash1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,032
Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Okanagan results

Temp average 265ºF

Ash volume 12 ounces

Ash weight 3.68 onces

Ash Percentage 0.284%

Density 44.98 LBS.

Fines volume 4 ounces

Fines 2.08 ounces

Fines Percentage 0.161%

Bag Weight Bag 1 40.59 LBS
Bag 2 40.28 LBS

Diameter .255

Length 1/4 to 1

Total Burn Length: 23 hrs 42 min

Attachments

• Okies bag1.jpg
    Okies bag1.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,180
  • Okies fines1.jpg
    Okies fines1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 994
  • Okies sample 1.jpg
    Okies sample 1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,002
  • Okies ash1.jpg
    Okies ash1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 976
Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Jay.. Would you consider putting together a video on each of your test steps? i am sure the rest of the gang would find it as interesting as your results are!!

Honestly this would be the most boring vid on the planet. Watching me clean my stove would be brutal. Shifting ash and screening pellets probably not much more interesting either. If I find the time maybe? My camera skills aren't the greatest either. I would have to hire the wifey. Not sure I can afford here going rate!

give me a call :D i have a flip and can edit it up to make it about 8 seconds of action :D

Thanks j for the great info. This is my first year burning wood pellets and im buying my first ton based on your review. Going with the maine woods for one im from maine and 2 they impressed you! THanks again

Turbojoey said:
Are these the pellets that are supposedly the same as Hammer Hot Ones?
My local Agway (Hooksett NH) said their Agway brand was made by NEWP. Sooo...does it matter which one you are at?????

Status
Not open for further replies.