2010 Prices for a Chimney Sweep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
In one of the recent threads, there was a discussion about the cost to various members here, of a Chimney Sweep.

I scheduled ours for the 3rd week in September, and he quoted me $150.00 - $160.00. There were SOME folks in here quoting $250.00 or so, if I remember correctly.

For those of you who pay for a Sweep to come out, ..........I thought it might be interesting to map out quotes from the various States, to get a National Average.

Your cost in YOUR state? (What does that include? Just a Sweep or anything else?)

-Soupy1957

My brother-in-law's company out here in Western MA charges $165.00 for a cleaning. That would include sweeping the chimney and taking apart and cleaning any of the wood stove pipe, and clean up.

we charge 125 for a chimney clean (includes cleaning the pipes of the stove, or damper/ smoke shelf if a fireplace)... its a 55 extra charge for extra flues/ appliances.

$125 is a bargin. The most expensive part of the job is getting to the house.

Just had the chimney cleaned yesterday. $135 for the chimney and stove pipe. They guy even helped me hook up my new stove (used the same pipe from the old stove) and then helped me move the old stove.

I get a sweep about every 2 to 3 years this years quote,$129.00 sweep chimney, stove cleaned,full inspection,and certificate for insurance company.about 30 mile drive each way for them. and on my stove it is nessary to take the air tubes and inner top plate and blanket out.not a bad deal.

M: Talk a little bit more about a "Certificate for (the) insurance company" will you? I notified my Insurance Company last year, when we had the stove installed. They waived any "Inspection" of it by one of their Adjusters, since it was Installed by a professional stove company, but I don't recall them asking for, or expecting any sort of "Certificate" from anyone.

In the case you are citing, you are saying that the Chimney Sweep gives you a Certificate for your Insurance company, and I'm wondering "what for?" Do you get some sort of yearly discount for providing them with this? Is this a requirement of YOUR particular Insurance Company?

Do tell..............

-Soupy1957

I had a sweep come out last year when we bough the house. I don't remember exactly but the cost was something like:

$150 for inspection (5 min with a flashlight and a mirror)
then $75 per flue to clean (15min of brushing) with the inspection fee partially credited towards the sweep.

This year I'm buying a set of brushes.

99 bucks a piece for my sweep to come out and do two flu's. One for my woodstove,,,,and the other for my masonry fireplace. Thats fair enough for me.

Woah!!
The Sweep I have used for Two years to clean out my 4" Pellet stove liner up the Chimney, charged me $180 this May. Up from $140 last year. I take it they dont charge by the foot.

I bought the brush and posts 5 years ago for 50 bucks or so. I sweep at the mid season and either at the end or beginning of next when I remember. It litterally is a 10 minute job once the ladder is out...

M said:
full inspection,and certificate for insurance company.

??????

$135 here in Central Mass.
They came last year, and did the clean out from inside...never went up on the roof.
This year I am buying my own set of brushes.

The sweeps I use are firemen from a stove store owned by a fire fighter. When they clean a chimney they also clean and inspect the stove as well as the chimney, clean the surrounding area even though they lay drop cloth everywhere. The stove glass is cleaned as well.They verbally tell you the condition,,and then write out a certificate that they cleaned and inspected the stove,showing any defects or that repairs were made and that it is up to snuff,and is in safe operating condition. This certificate can be given to your insurance company if they require it,or if you want to show it to them. or filed away in case you want to keep it.It is not required by my insurance company,but I like to have someone else check my stove every 2nd or 3rd year just in case I miss finding something wrong.The owner cleaned my stove many times and found no problems and comminted that it really did not need cleaning,as I use dry wood. He inspected MIL stove and had to replace some pipe,and door gasget,and the charge for the trip was reduced because he combined the two service calls. By the way his dog loves to swim in our pond and goes home wet in the front seat of the truck. I ALWAYS try and have a snack and coffe,or tea,or soda for people that come out to do work,and if its a day or more will offer lunch ,and in summer months I will charcoal burgers,or the wife will cook if I am busy.It helps to be nice,and it really dosen't cost that much, and it will surprise you what can get acomplished if you treat them well.(IM not talking about a price reduction but work quality,and professional advice)

I received a card in the mail (bulk mail) for some company that I had not heard of before (with "chimney services" in their name). Anyway, card had a coupon for $20 off firs cleaning etc... I called just to find out what they would charge me to clean my chimney and was quoted $149 so with coupon it would be $129 I suppose the first time. I didn't think to ask what exactly that included... (just another data point).

I charged myself a Big Mac extra value meal. I did a really good job. I highly recommend myself to anybody who lives in my neighborhood.

I just found your excellent forum the other day so thought I'd make my first post. I'm from the UK and over here, in contrast, I pay £25 or $39 for a sweep. But my chimney sweep is the cheapest around. The most expensive I've ever heard of was a friend in the city and they were charged £65 or $100 and that was classed as daylight robbery. However, the guy was the only sweep in the area and cities are smoke control areas so not much business for him I suppose.

Swipe said:
I just found your excellent forum the other day so thought I'd make my first post. I'm from the UK and over here, in contrast, I pay £25 or $39 for a sweep. But my chimney sweep is the cheapest around. The most expensive I've ever heard of was a friend in the city and they were charged £65 or $100 and that was classed as daylight robbery. However, the guy was the only sweep in the area and cities are smoke control areas so not much business for him I suppose.
but do they dress like sweeps?

BLIMP said:
Swipe said:

I think you'd have to pay extra for that :p

Swipe said:
BLIMP said:
Swipe said:

I think you'd have to pay extra for that :p

Sounds like that would make him a shirt lifter rather than a sweep.

Sheesh, after reading the prices above, now I'm feeling a little guilty. The quite competent sweep that has done my chimney (top down) up in the mountains raised his rate from $62 to $77 this year. He spends a couple of hours, on the cap, chimney and stove. Leaves everything clean, even the stove glass.

I would do it myself, but am not that thrilled about just how far up I would need to crawl up a ladder to look down my chimney. At his price, I just can't work up the enthusiasm for the task.

Southern California, small town.

before i started doing it myself. about $130. Now keep in mind if you pay a sweep to come and clean out your chimney.

Costs involved in having your own service business. Fuel, maintenance, wear and tear on vehicle, insurance on vehicle and liability (in case he screws up and your house burns downs). Phone, advertising, equipment and experience. Time to travel to job site.

I my business (not wood heat realted) my customers (emergency service) are not paying me to do the job. They are paying for my travel time to get there and back.

Status
Not open for further replies.