2010 Tax Credit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RnG17

Sep 9, 2010
PA
2010 Tax Rebate for wood stoves:

I apologize now because I'm sure its been posted too many times before. But everyone on here gives quick and direct answers and I like that, so I figured I'd ask, rather than search for another hour. . .

I have the tax rebate form printed out, but can you do it on Turbo Tax?

I'm ready to do my tax's and just want to KNOW before I start the process.

Thanks guys!

According to their website you can.

hmm, probably would have been a good place for me to look!

Thank you!

Yes, it’s in Turbo Tax under: Deductions, Home Energy Credit then click on “learn moreâ€. It goes on to state under the non-business energy credit “stoves that burn biomassâ€. However, when you find that section over in the area where you are entering the numbers, it only talks about natural gas, propane and oil furnaces but I think that’s where it goes. If EPA rated stove better than 75% efficient, you get 30% back up to $5K which is $1,500 maximum return.

NextEndeavor said:
Yes, it’s in Turbo Tax under: Deductions, Home Energy Credit then click on “learn moreâ€. It goes on to state under the non-business energy credit “stoves that burn biomassâ€. However, when you find that section over in the area where you are entering the numbers, it only talks about natural gas, propane and oil furnaces but I think that’s where it goes. If EPA rated stove better than 75% efficient, you get 30% back up to $5K which is $1,500 maximum return.

Yep thats it, even though it doesn't say it on the form itself it does state to put it here in the directions.

Shawn

is there an easy way to find out if your stove is compliant? I put my nz3000 in in 2010 thanks

Dieselhead said:
is there an easy way to find out if your stove is compliant? I put my nz3000 in in 2010 thanks

You should have gotten a certificate from the dealer, even if you do not have the form you still may be compliant, but.... you need to have the certificate from the manufacturer...

A quick look at the brochure it says it is EPA compliant, but I did not see the effeciancy..... effeciancy is the key

Shawn

I didn't get the certificate from Lowe's, but I found it online at Pleasant Hearth website and downloaded it.

It's in the hands of my tax man as we speak...

Nancy

shawneyboy said:
Dieselhead said:

You should have gotten a certificate from the dealer, even if you do not have the form you still may be compliant, but.... you need to have the certificate from the manufacturer...

A quick look at the brochure it says it is EPA compliant, but I did not see the effeciancy..... effeciancy is the key

Shawn
thanks ill dig a little deeper

gyingling said:
Does anybody know if you can deduct a used stove that was a private sale?

100% Against the rules to do so. If you want specifics search the forums. I've provided details, sources, quotes numerous times.

Has anyone had a problem getting this tax credit? I found that when I went through Turbotax is totalled my available credit for the stove at $0. I quick read through FAQ's said that if an individuals tax burden is already $0 then the tax credit is not allowed (I didn't think I had $0 tax burden since my only deduction is mortgage). I was excited to get a cool $1500 but I guess not. Anyone else run into this?

briv said:
Has anyone had a problem getting this tax credit? I found that when I went through Turbotax is totalled my available credit for the stove at $0. I quick read through FAQ's said that if an individuals tax burden is already $0 then the tax credit is not allowed (I didn't think I had $0 tax burden since my only deduction is mortgage). I was excited to get a cool $1500 but I guess not. Anyone else run into this?

It is easy to see what your tax burden was. Line 60 on a 1040. If indeed you had a zero tax burden, then you get nothing. From what I understand it is a credit against tax paid/owed.

Shawn

Thanks shawneyboy. I'll have to check that out. Although it wouldn't have affected my purchase of the stove it would have been nice to get $1500.00

Status
Not open for further replies.