2010 Toyota prius bad wheel bearing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
I have bad wheel bearings in my 2010 prius. Has anyone dealt with these on this car before? The repair shop says these on this car is very labor intensive and difficult to get out.
Aren't the wheel bearings inside the hub? Could I just replace the Hub if the bearings are a pain to get out?

I have bad wheel bearings in my 2010 prius. Has anyone dealt with these on this car before? The repair shop says these on this car is very labor intensive and difficult to get out.
Aren't the wheel bearings inside the hub? Could I just replace the Hub if the bearings are a pain to get out?

I'd do some more research and find out more on your own. Wheel bearings shouldn't be going bad in only 3 years unless you have a LOT of miles on it already.

autozone lists the part at $624.99. You'd need two if both up front are bad (I'm assuming the front is what is bad, didn't check the price for the rears).

pen

I'd do some more research and find out more on your own. Wheel bearings shouldn't be going bad in only 3 years unless you have a LOT of miles on it already.

It has 88k...
autozone lists the part at $624.99. You'd need two if both up front are bad (I'm assuming the front is what is bad, didn't check the price for the rears).

pen

I think I saw that. The advanced Auto parts has one for around $165.

Don't feel bad - I had a bad front wheel bearing on my Ford Flex at 42K. Common on them.

you need to hit priuschat.com You'll find a ridiculous amount of info there & likely have someone walk you through the process.

The car is smart, it don't like Giants fans >>

It has 88k...

I think I saw that. The advanced Auto parts has one for around $165.

Still 88k shouldn't be enough to have the wheel bearings go bad. Something else is amiss, have you looked to see if there was a recall on wheel bearings for that year?

Well, my father in law and I took out the wheel hub today. We had to torch half of the hub out because it was just so stuck in there. It has two bearings in it. One closest to the wheel and one on the rear of the hub. The one on the rear was completely chewed up and gone. We have to some more work on it. There is a ring on the back side where the hub was that look dented. So we have to some how take off the half shaft ( or whatever it is ) to take that ring off. That will have to wait until tomorrow.

Wow- only 88k? My 2003 Chevy Impala has 172,000 miles and is still on 3 out of 4 original. I think one of the back ones might be starting to go bad but oh well. It will get replaced when it gets loud, its just starting to hum a little. I love the car though, and will keep fixing it until it can't be fixed anymore. By far the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

So I assume it's the front axle bearing...I have 45K on my 2011 Prius. So far so good... Yes it seems like wheel bearings are not lasting very long any more...my son's VW Jetta, 80K, rear bearings, Rav 4, 85K, front bearings. Used to get double the miles on bearings...Good luck and let us know how it goes..

Status
Not open for further replies.