2011-2012 Winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RowCropRenegade

Feeling the Heat
Mar 19, 2008
Southwest, Ohio
Been a mucky, but nice week to get out and cut wood. I finished splitting/stacking the last of 2011-2012 wood. 9 cords in all. 7 cords silver/sugar maple, 2 cords shagbark hickory.

I estimate that I will burn roundabouts of 7 cords this winter. Providing I burn 2 more. Not a bad first season. Considering how many gallons of fuel oil has been displaced. estimated 2200 would have been burnt this winter. Zero thus far.

Supposed to be 67 tomorrow, starting in on 2012-2013 winter. Red oak, bur oak and hickory. Bought 2 new chains just for that 8 cords or so to c/s/s.

You saved 2200 gallons of oil? That is like $7000 right now. I am happy to be saving a couple of hundred bucks a month, but you have me beat. Well worth the effort.

We're definitely headed into the start of the mud season. Some areas will be worse than others, as always. We don't expect much mud this year but if we get lots of rain that will change. We are still very, very dry here so we hope the frost leaves fast so as to soak up some of the run-off rather than sending it all into the Great Lakes.

Savage, I will be happy with the mud. Hope we get the rain tomorrow they are calling for. We are still short on rainfall. La Nina is still here, take any moisture we can get.

Wood duck, pretty easy to cash flow an expensive wood boiler system when you were burning the jack that I was. If fuel oil stayed at 2.50/gal, would break even in year 6. The rate fuel is going though, maybe year 5 is break even point now. I'm having an energy auditor with specialty in insulation knowledge come up to the house next week. Help me determine what the best way to insulate this old farmhouse.

2200 gal of fuel is enough for me to plant, spray 3 times, harvest, haul 60 miles and drive my pickup for a month or two. If the unit lasts 20 years, will help pay off my farm. Amazing when I figured it all up 3 years ago.

Split another 1.5 cord this morning. 2012-2013 is underway!

Wood Duck said:
You saved 2200 gallons of oil? That is like $7000 right now. I am happy to be saving a couple of hundred bucks a month, but you have me beat. Well worth the effort.
Met my "new" neighbors last night. Their house is all electric, just like mine and all other homes in the neighborhood. Their electric bill last month was just shy of $1200.

Multiply that by about 4 months for heating and that is $5k. I'm sure glad I burn wood... I haven't turned the electric heat on at all this year.

Their electric bill last month was just shy of $1200.

Ouch!!

Don't know how people can stand that sort of thing.

Will

1200 ouch is right. We need to insulate! 7000 in oil ooooooouuuucccchhhh! I N S U L A T E ! ! !

CountryBoy19 said:
Wood Duck said:
Met my "new" neighbors last night. Their house is all electric, just like mine and all other homes in the neighborhood. Their electric bill last month was just shy of $1200.

Multiply that by about 4 months for heating and that is $5k. I'm sure glad I burn wood... I haven't turned the electric heat on at all this year.

Holy smackaroons!!!!! $1200 for a month of heating. I think back to the first home I bought. We had fuel oil and a space heater. Our house payment was $50 per month! Fuel oil cost us $.12 per gallon but I don't recall how many gallons we used though.

Perhaps one could consider taking out a second mortgage in order to pay to heat the house at that rate...

We need to insulate!

Pay once for insulation or pay forever for fuel oil.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.