2012/13 first lite-off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioBurner©

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 20, 2010
Center of Ohio
Well I searched back a couple weeks to see if there was any official 'first fire of the season' type thread. Perhaps I am just way behind here! Been running the propane, it was actually the cheapest propane has been in the 4 or 5 winters we have been here now. That and I know I dont have enough wood to get me through the winter yet, and it too late to properly season so I know I am going to be supplementing with propane.

Anyhow, last night I lit off the Rockland, still havent touched the Shelburne. Got down to 24F, coldest night we have had so far. Found out the Rockland is still the 'run-a-way Rockland' and the house is still craptasticly insulated. lol. Well let me explain... the Rockland didnt run a way it just burns hot with a full load. I got the starter first load going at dinner time, and by bed time it was ready for an overnight load. Put a few cherry splits on the bottom and a layer of bl splits across the top. It struggled a bit at first but finally got going and closed it down around 500. About two hours later after I couldnt sleep I came down and checked it, 850ish. She really throws the heat out in the 800's! But I figure I am wasting burn time there. Anyhow that side of the house had just hit 70 (before firing up the stove the furnace had been set to 64-65). At 6am there was still a nice bed of coals but I didnt feel like running outside to get more wood. I hadnt brought any in the house yet. It was about 66. And I fell back asleep. About 8am when I got back up furnace running away and 64-65ish.

I havent run the other stove yet so I probably could have kept the place up to temp with both of them going, but still... packed to the gills and the furnace is maintaining 64-65 when I get up. And its only Nov6.

Its nice to be burning anyhow. I missed being able to stand in front of it with my back turned and soak up that heat!

And of course a pic! Well that wasnt the very first load but within 24hrs at least...

Reactions: zap
Great looking insert. Glad your run away found it's way back after awhile. As I sit here typing I can hear Christmas music in the background, My wife is already in the spirit. In the good ole days, x-mas wasn't to be seen or heard of until after Thanksgiving...

That is a great looking insert :)

Thanks, and sorry I did clean er up nice before the shot. The glass probably hadnt been cleaned but once or twice during last years burn, one of the advantages I guess of it liking to burn hot!

Nice setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.