2012-2013 Blaze King Performance Thread(everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's odd. I have always heard the opposite, that the King was more prone to spillage. This was due to the additional turbulence that was created from the extra large firebox.

Hmmm seems we get more complaints around here from the Princess crowd. Mine can spill smoke from time to time during the shoulder season but I've gotten a pretty good handle on it now.

In regards to "John" with the king Ultra. I have the exact same stove, and have had the same issues with mine when it was new. My cat was very sensitive for the first 2 weeks. It will run hot, but just let her go. Mine would stay peged at the "g" of blaze king for quite a while and had the cat glowing beautiful. Now it will run just under max, after burning for 6 weeks. As for starting "new" fires... crank it to 3 and leave the bypass open longer. Yes your making smoke, but it needs a lot of heat to warm her up. Then turn it back slowly, bit by bit over 15 min or so. Mine can be hard to get rolling sometimes too, if I choke it down too soon with the cat engaged. I always, weather it be right or not, leave the bypass open till temps are "well" over active, maybe 10 or 11 o clock. When I re load hot, small splits go on bottom and then I pile it in. Have it cranked to 3 the hole time. Then watch her come to life. I also have found lighting fires from the bottom to work well, and layering as I go up, lighting in multiple spots. Mine wont fire as good if I light it from the top. Just some things I have learned with mine, hope it helps. You will LOVE the stove

Reactions: jeff_t
The whole startup/reload procedure is a lot easier, and consistent when you have big, thick bed of coals in these. Quick and easy, and smooth once you figure out your own style of doing it. Everyone is different.

That BK stove looks "funny" with that little break in load in it. So used to seeing the pics of you guys having them stuffed to the gills....

Congrats on the new stove!

Hey folks, at 33 pages long this thread is getting too long to be useful. I'm going to close this one down and put the 2012/2013 heating season to rest. Feel free to start up a new one for the new 2013-1014 season. K?

Reactions: PapaDave
Status
Not open for further replies.