2012 - 2013 Pellet Purchase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdege

Nov 15, 2011
Dover, NH
I have done some looking at my options for the next year and I have narrowed my choices down to:

Vermonts (softwood)- $279/ton
McFeeters Emerald (Softwood) - $250/ton
Green Supreme - $230/ton
Cleanfire Hardwood - $280/ton

I was thinking 2 tons Green Supreme, 2 tons McFeeters and 1 ton Vermonts, this keeps my avergae price below $250/tom which was a goal I set.

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

I understand the goal of keeping the average price below $250, but I think the 2 tons of Green Supreme (re-bagged NEWP's) are a mistake. Their recent history is of low heat output, as has been typical of NEWP products for the last few years.

For the sake of another $12/ton (or .27 cents a bag), you could have a nice stash of 3 tons McFeeters and 2 tons of Vermonts.

I understand the goal of keeping the average price below $250, but I think the 2 tons of Green Supreme (re-bagged NEWP's) are a mistake. Their recent history is of low heat output, as has been typical of NEWP products for the last few years.

For the sake of another $12/ton (or .27 cents a bag), you could have a nice stash of 3 tons McFeeters and 2 tons of Vermonts.

TY, have you burned the McFeeters? I did not have the chance this past winter so I was a little unsure. I saw the review from Jay so it made me OK giving them a go for this year.

I would keep with the Mcfeeters, they burned great. The VT's are nice, but they left my glass black after a day of burning. The Mcfeeters were really clean. Great Works Bio Fuels has them. When I buy again it will be the Feeters.

Have you given any thought to MWP softwoods?

I would keep with the Mcfeeters, they burned great. The VT's are nice, but they left my glass black after a day of burning. The Mcfeeters were really clean. Great Works Bio Fuels has them. When I buy again it will be the Feeters.
TY, I am glad to here good feedback on the McFeeters as I am thinking of ordering 2-3 tons. We had great results out of the VT so those are a certaim buy for me but I understand not everyone had the same results.

TY

Have you tried Spruce Pointe? They are a great pellet also a great pellet IMHO. Cant go wrong if you go with VT's, Feeters, SP's, or MWP softies. Northern are good hardwood pellets.

Don't buy 2-3 tons of McFeeters until you try a few bags first. I wasn't at all impressed with them. My stove actually liked the NEWP/Greene Supreme better.

I have not only because I have not seen them in the area.
Great Works Biofuel has MWP Soft. Limited supplies though.

He also has Spruce Pointe another very food pellet, but expensive these days. I am switching from the Spruce to the MWP soft to same a few bucks.

FWIW, I don't care for NEWP, so the Greene Supreme would be out with me too.

Don't buy 2-3 tons of McFeeters until you try a few bags first. I wasn't at all impressed with them.

x2, I dont have first hand experience, but I got the same comment from a dealer. First batch was terrible, second batch was real good. They claimed to have tweaked the process on the 2nd batch?? I don't believe he has had a 3rd batch to try out yet. That would be the tie breaker.

Great Works Biofuel has MWP Soft. Limited supplies though.

He also has Spruce Pointe another very food pellet, but expensive these days. I am switching from the Spruce to the MWP soft to same a few bucks.

FWIW, I don't care for NEWP, so the Greene Supreme would be out with me too.

I just found out about Great Works. As I find more options I am leaning towrd mixing up the stash between Vermonts, LGs, Spruce Point, MWP Softies and Mcfeeters. Garage sale this weekend to clean out the basement then start stock piling.

That's a good mix. All softies. My stove likes the softwood better.

Status
Not open for further replies.