2012 Free wood score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiram Maxim

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2007
SE Michigan
Tree service cutting across the street......Asked them if they wanted to save some fuel?

They were happy to assist, even cut 95% to 16"-18" lengths:)

Black Locust, Black Cherry, White Ash and some Pear......

should be a good cord there?

28a4zub.jpg

HM, nice score. Looks like the ice is out.

zap

HM, nice score. Looks like the ice is out.

zap

It's been long gone! To say we ever had ice is a stretch. ;lol

I wish I could get some free wood dropped off at my place! One issue with living around a lot of wood burners, most wood doesn't leave the home owners property.

About a two weeks we went to check the body of water we boat on, full of ice, so we will take another ride on Sunday to check it out again.
zap

Hiram that's more than a cord. And that's some daggum good species too! Nice variety of hardwoods, can't beat that deal!;)

Rdust speaks the truth....I saw 2 snowmobiles all year....Ice melted in about 20hrs or less.

I wish I could get some free wood dropped off at my place! One issue with living around a lot of wood burners, most wood doesn't leave the home owners property.

I see wood set out for the garbage men to pick up around here....crazy!

Most of the Tree services drive 20 miles to get to my area, and they would rather not haul it back. I rather they didnt haul it back.lol ;)

Reactions: ScotO
Hiram that's more than a cord. And that's some daggum good species too! Nice variety of hardwoods, can't beat that deal!;)

Scotty, I'm hoping so, as it going to replace the wood I burned this year. So far Ive gone through about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 of a cord.

Theres a lot of Black Locust about 12" diameter.......one splitters!

It will get split,stacked and season for no less than 3 years.

Same here . . . asked Asplundh when they were in the neighborhood trimming up trees and they said they pretty much just leave the wood on site since most property owners want to keep the wood.

HM, I'd say by the looks of it you have darned near 2 cord there. When you get around to splitting and stacking it, let me know what you end up with!

HM, I'd say by the looks of it you have darned near 2 cord there. When you get around to splitting and stacking it, let me know what you end up with!

Scotty, I will for sure!

Same here . . . asked Asplundh when they were in the neighborhood trimming up trees and they said they pretty much just leave the wood on site since most property owners want to keep the wood.
Jake,
I'm smack dead in suburbia where most people probably wouldn't even know how to start a fire.==c

A guy down the street asked me last year for some firewood for decoration? :eek:

Nice score!

A guy down the street asked me last year for some firewood for decoration? :eek:

Probably has a gas stove/fireplace. The tools that now grace the hearth at the Cottage and get used all the time spent many years sitting next to the Berkshire at the Old House for a bit of "reality" along with some white birch logs.

Jake,
I'm smack dead in suburbia where most people probably wouldn't even know how to start a fire.==c

A greenhorn for sure, but I've paid $5 for 5 choice paper birch pieces to adorn my log rack. They may not be the choice of those who burn, but you can't beat the look.

We used to sit stacks of dry barkless silver maple rounds on either side of our kitchen woodstove for decoration. It looked really nice, too....that was until we started seeing piles of sawdust from the powderpost beetles on the hearth underneath them. They went into the stove after that..

Nice score Hiram, good food for the King

Hiram, keep on the good side of those guys and they will make you happy. That is not much wood to burn for the whole winter! I think we're around 2 cord so far. Heating season is not over.

Hiram, keep on the good side of those guys and they will make you happy. That is not much wood to burn for the whole winter! I think we're around 2 cord so far. Heating season is not over.
I used my N/G furnace a little here and there. Some days it's just to warm to burn. It's 80* in the main part of the house right now...

Yeah the Tree services have kept me real warm the last 5 years!!

Well the Fireview has been going steady all day and will tonight too. I had let it go out late yesterday because it was a bit warm in here. It was a little cool this morning but not all that bad. Then the snow came....and thunder too. And yes, it is cold out there.

That's great Hiram! If I could get a deal like that I'd stop buying it c\s\d and do it myself but that isn't gonna happen as many around here burn!

Ray

Nice score, I'll guess 1 1/2 cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.