2013/2014 COLD winter season?..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We all like pics.

We all love sources for data too. Please include or it may be a copyright violation.

I've had the lamest winter down here. I think melbourne is going to break the record for the hottest july we've had (on record)...

i had all this wood stacked ready for an icey cold one but no dice...

What do you guys think? Every time I make a prediction like THE JETS are going to win, I am always wrong.... Am I wrong this time that its gonna be a cold one?
First of all you are cheering for the wrong NY team, hopefully they have a better season this year :p. As far as your wood, I'll take it if you don't need it;)

Prediction: Normal winter this year and next because I have adequate wood supply. After that it is gonna be bad ones because I am way behind.

More accurate a predictor than any weatherman on the planet.

Reactions: Trilifter7
Crap, now we're in trouble. He's predicting lower than normal snowfall for our area. Glad I have a good stash of wood this year.

You never can tell what kind of winter you will get. I remember a few years ago we were supposed to get the mother of all winters so we braced for it.... didn't happen. Some of the biggest and coldest storms are the ones around here that aren't predicted. If its mild it means more shoveling of snow and if its colder then it means more grumbles from the kids on school mornings from frozen nostril hairs!. I like to measure the lake ice to see how thick it is, now that's an accurate weather gage! I saw on another post here that the states had a bunch of records broken for cold weather, some were pretty cold. Crazy around here to... a couple of days ago we had weather up to 34c in the day and two days ago we had highs of 13c and lows of 6c! I told the wife I was thinking of lighting a fire.

Welcome to our weather. At least it's good for sleeping and keeps the AC load down if the house is open at night and closed off in the daytime.

It's fun to speculate. I was dead wrong last year, I thought for sure we were due for a long hard winter but obviously that didn't pan out. I'm thankful for warmer then expected winters the last few years because it helped me to have the most wood on hand then ever before. If it's cold, I'm ready, if not then I'll have even better stockpile for next year. Really need a bigger yard at this point though.

So far 2013 has been different year here weather wise then the last few so I'm thinking a different winter too. We have been going from cold in February to blowtorch in March til October then November has been the transition month then cold but above normal winter. This year I burned later then the last few, we didn't hit 100 and 90 plus degrees days were lot less. Trend, sign or anomaly? We will find out next spring but it does seem like a different year. As I said, i've said that before.

It goes something like this. George and Joe lived opposite each other on a old country road. Joe always seemed to know what next winter's weather was going to be like. Finally somebody asked Joe how he knew and he said "George is out in the summer cutting firewood so he must know". George always knew when it was a bad winter because Joe was out in the blowing snow cutting his firewood!:)

So far 2013 has been different year here weather wise then the last few so I'm thinking a different winter too. We have been going from cold in February to blowtorch in March til October then November has been the transition month then cold but above normal winter.

I'm pretty darn close to your "unknown capital", and I remember the last two years differently:

1. Fall 2011: Wettest on record. Incessant rain, flooded lawns, hurricane Irene and a tropical storm a week later that dumped even more rain than the hurricane.
2. Winter 2012: Started off pretty cold, but ended very early. February and March were so warm, it became known as the winter that never was. I had flowers coming up in February, and had to get my weed control down on Mar.8, as they were already coming up in the first week of March!
3. Summer 2012: Hotter than usual. I think we broke some records for the number of days over 90.
4. Fall 2012: Hurricane Sandy, which didn't break any records for rain, but brought down trees and wiring in great fashion. Most of my neighbors were without power for 7 - 10 days.
5. Winter 2013: COOOLD!, with a 10 day stretch around 10F. The heavy cold ended very early, similar to 2012, but the shoulder season lasted forever.
6. Spring 2013: Much cooler than average. Stretched longer than average.

I go by how many tons of fuel i burn. Last winter 2012-2013 it was 5.5 ton. The year before was an all time record breaker at 3 Ton.
Average year lately is about 5 ton. 5-10 years ago average was about 6+ ton. Must be getting warmer.

I'm pretty darn close to your "unknown capital", and I remember the last two years differently:

What I remember and what really happened can often be two different things. I make no claims of having a great memory. FWIW I'll in the Bensalem side of Philly the 8th - 10th. Going to visit some friends.

Don't take much distance to see a change in weather. As I mentioned in another post, really odd this year. There have been flash flood warnings a few times as close as Carlisle, Marysville, Colonial Park, New Cumberland, etc but not here. I have been rather dry. The storms keep missing me or forming just east of the river. Our grass is brown and looks rough, yet a few miles away it's green we have been mowing once a week.

You guys sure have been getting clobbered with the rain this year. Weather fascinates me.

My prediction for winter: Cold ,continued cold,getting warmer in the spring.

Reactions: DevilsBrew
lakefreeze_zps4ed2fd2f.jpg

I hate fighting the crowds at the beach in summer.

(Lows in the high 40s tonight)

I don't buy any of the long term forecasts either. In the Spring of 2010 I bought a garden tractor a snow plow and a snow thrower. I was sure that it would never snow. 2010-11 was the snowiest winter in my area since 1993! My brother in law bought a similar tractor in 2011 and winter 11-12 was the winter that wasn't. I'm sure it will be colder in January than it is now and there may even be some snow. It will all melt by May.

I don't buy any of the long term forecasts either. In the Spring of 2010 I bought a garden tractor a snow plow and a snow thrower. I was sure that it would never snow. 2010-11 was the snowiest winter in my area since 1993! My brother in law bought a similar tractor in 2011 and winter 11-12 was the winter that wasn't. I'm sure it will be colder in January than it is now and there may even be some snow. It will all melt by May.
That may be one of the most unscientific methods of forecasting I've heard...
....however...
...and sadly....
It's probably about as accurate as anything else out there. (So just keep working it.)

Well OK; if you feel that a cold arctic summer will lead to an early winter in US/Canada, there is this hard data:
...2013 is coldest, shortest arctic summer since such things were first recorded in 1958. (per Danish Meteorological Institute)
(Temp is shown in Kelvins. 273k = 32f = 0c)

dmi_80n_meant_08082013.jpg

credit DMI

Reactions: Ashful
Jake, the new Hippy Dippy weatherman, with the Hippy Dippy weather.:cool:
Tonight, dark. Continued dark overnight, followed by partial light in the morning. Ah, I remember it well...

Reactions: PapaDave
Status
Not open for further replies.