2013 - 2014 Firewood Complete!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all! I have been reading all the wonderful postings on this site for the last few months and you guys have motivated me to get a little ahead on the wood inventory. :) I kept adding a little at a time to the stacks and ended up with a little under 4 cords of oak and hickory for 2013 - 2014. I really don't have the room to go out another year ahead but I would love too (still some grass space left in the yard - lol). Anyway, I am soooo excited to have just finished stacking wood for next year so I thought I would share. Since it did not happen without pics I will try to add them as well. ;)

Attachments

• 2013 - 2014 Firewood a.JPG
    2013 - 2014 Firewood a.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 264
  • 2013 - 2014 Firewood b.JPG
    2013 - 2014 Firewood b.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 254
Beautiful stacks...........I would mix in some wood that only needs to be seasoned for a year.
That way you can have better rotation and possibly save some space
Your stacks make me want to be a better stacker

Beautiful stacks...........I would mix in some wood that only needs to be seasoned for a year.
That way you can have better rotation and possibly save some space
You stacks make me want to be a better stacker

Thanks! Good idea, perhaps I should add another pallet of maple or cherry if such wood becomes available? I was planning on mixing some in with these stacks but I ran into a big scroung of hickory trees that I could not pass up. :) Also, we are new to burning so I really don't know how much we will use. We have about 3 1/2 cords of seasoned maple, oak, and locust for this year and about 3 3/4 cords of oak and hickory on these stacks for next year. Maybe we will have some wood left over this year that we can add to next years wood for easy starts? We burned some maple, poplar, cherry, and oak this year and actually liked using poplar to get the fires going with the good flame produced. Sure it burned quick but sure was easy to ignite.

The stacks look neater than they are, most of the straight grained pieces are in the front row saving the best ones for the corners, the 2nd row is not as pretty but you can't see it from our house. ;lol

Hmm. You think. ;)

Hah! It is easy to keep on adding pallets down the row. lol You can see the previous stopping points where the cross stacks are. I thought I was done with the first two pallets of oak on the far left then I keep reading the posts on here about how long it takes oak to season so I thought we should add more to the stacks. All the wood came from local scrounges so it is hard to pass on free wood. Ok, so I THOUGHT I was complete with 2013 - 2014 thanks... :eek:

A thing of beauty.
Awesome stacks.
You must use a laser, levels, squares & GPS aids to get stacks that perfect . :)

Great picture, stacks & wood hauler ;)

Awesome work and great looking stacks!

Looking good. And always a good feeling to be a year or more out there. And 3 1/2 cord should do ya fine in Carroll County. Not a lot different from our temps and precip and three to three and a half gets it done.

Feels good doesn't it? Nice job, I wish my piles (mine are piles compared to your stacks) looked that good.

Really Looks Nice! :)

Hello all! I have been reading all the wonderful postings on this site for the last few months and you guys have motivated me to get a little ahead on the wood inventory. :) I kept adding a little at a time to the stacks and ended up with a little under 4 cords of oak and hickory for 2013 - 2014. I really don't have the room to go out another year ahead but I would love too (still some grass space left in the yard - lol). Anyway, I am soooo excited to have just finished stacking wood for next year so I thought I would share. Since it did not happen without pics I will try to add them as well. ;)

You have done an excellent job of stacking that wood. With stacks like that I do not see how anyone could say a wood stack is ugly. It is a thing of beauty. You put mine to shame but I do not mind at all. Be proud.

Lgooks like giant wood legos... :)
Well done!

:)
A thing of beauty.
Awesome stacks.
You must use a laser, levels, squares & GPS aids to get stacks that perfect . :)

Great picture, stacks & wood hauler ;)

Thanks for the kind words but the wood actually speaks for itself. I found some good sized approx 22" diameter hickory trees that blew over in a recent storm and the wood was very straight grained and split clean. This is my first year splitting so perhaps the novelty will wear off in future years and I might split a little quicker. :) When you find some knot free wood it REALLY makes a big differance. It also helps that a guy I scrounge hunt with likes the smaller wood and I prefer the medium sized stuff.

cool, I never thought of cutting my firewood with a table saw.;)

Oh my, hilarious!!!! My wife and I did joke about how some of the square pieces looked store bought and if the price bar codes were removed before stacking. ;) I always enjoyed woodworking so this was another excuse to go play and make dust. Seriously, that was a funny comment. ;)

You have done an excellent job of stacking that wood. With stacks like that I do not see how anyone could say a wood stack is ugly. It is a thing of beauty. You put mine to shame but I do not mind at all. Be proud.

Thank you! Everyone here knows you are one of the real true legends on this site; you offer great advice and have tought many of us valuable things. I don't know if I am more happy for finishing a year ahead of firewood or reading they comments you guys are posting? Sure does feel good both ways so many thanks!!!!:)

Very nice looking stacks....welcome to the world of wood burning. Start those plans to build a woodshed soon...you will want one..;)

The stacks look neater than they are...... ;lol

What???? Neater than that?? You make me want to restack my stacks :(

Beautiful looking stacks... True works of art. Lots of beautiful BTU's that are gonna wait till they are good and ready...

Nice, thats some primo wood you have, I see you went to the Backwoods Savage/Dexter Day school of wood stacking :p.
Now you can start working on 14-15.

Thanks.. But Fire Breathing Dragon raised the Bar. He is among the ranks of Papa Dave!

Status
Not open for further replies.