2013-2014 HEATING SEASON PREPARATION

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Garn calls for 3 ft above unit. Is this just so the anode rods can be serviced and the temp sensor in manway?

Burner:

I've got an LS in both WI and IL. Managed the surveying and mapping end of a 40 man civil office for over 30 in the western burbs. Spent most of my time on aerial mapping and easement workj for large sewer jobs, but also did a ton of plant layout, bridges, roads Land Title work, municipal review and subs. Between the economy and a mgmt change it was time to vote with my feet after 40+ years with the same company. Departure was a couple years ahead of my plan, but saved my brain from rotting. Have a great wife that is keeping me in insurance while I tough it out up north about 9 mo/yr working on the retirement home. Pretty tough duty (that's my story and I'm sticking to it)

I was told you could cheat a bit on the 9' and radius the rods as you put them in, but between that and the clearance to get into the manhole opening, I don't think I would intentionally go less than 9'.

George (and others)
Tours available and I'll even throw in milk and cookies (or some draft home brew as we are talking Wisconsin here). Just head north and if you hit Lake Superior you over-shot by about 30 miles.

Dan

Burner:
I was told you could cheat a bit on the 9' and radius the rods as you put them in, but between that and the clearance to get into the manhole opening, I don't think I would intentionally go less than 9'. Dan

I will definitely arrange a visit Dan.

There are segmented anode rods available if you are in a "pinch".

eauzonedan: 40 years good run! Im @ 25yrs in surveying still have a ways to go. Im heading to Sun prairie in April to check out ATS equipment school for my Son.

I have a line on a structure but it has a 7' 9" interior hieght. I can modify the roof easily, looks as though I would be ok with it as long as I create passage for the Rods to get lifted out I assume they are 30"-36" long. likewise for manway?

Burner:
Be sure to consider a "bump out" big enough to let you easily get in and out of the manway ....... I'm a "big unit" and not sure I could climb in there with only 2' of overhead clearance (8' clear in the bldg). Maybe George can check the dia.. of his opening as I'm currently in IL. It looks like the on-line manuals have been updated and I did not see a dimension for the access hole when doing a quick look.
Dan.

Burner:
Be sure to consider a "bump out" big enough to let you easily get in and out of the manway ....... I'm a "big unit" and not sure I could climb in there with only 2' of overhead clearance (8' clear in the bldg). Maybe George can check the dia.. of his opening as I'm currently in IL. It looks like the on-line manuals have been updated and I did not see a dimension for the access hole when doing a quick look.
Dan.

the Manhole is 18".

Attachments

• Garn Manhole Cover.JPG
    Garn Manhole Cover.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 118
eauzonedan: 40 years good run! Im @ 25yrs in surveying still have a ways to go. Im heading to Sun prairie in April to check out ATS equipment school for my Son.

I have a line on a structure but it has a 7' 9" interior hieght. I can modify the roof easily, looks as though I would be ok with it as long as I create passage for the Rods to get lifted out I assume they are 30"-36" long. likewise for manway?

Could you just do a vaulted ceiling in the building instead of flat? It might give you the clearance you need depending on Garn placement and building width.

gg

Simple is always better..... Neat Solution....

GG:
What part of Cheezeland?. We're about 20 miles north of Hayward. Always good to have someone close for "help me - save me" calls.........
Dan

Simple is always better..... Neat Solution....

GG:
What part of Cheezeland?. We're about 20 miles north of Hayward. Always good to have someone close for "help me - save me" calls.........
Dan

In between Baraboo and Wisconsin Dells, probably a solid 4 hours south of you. Usually quite a bit warmer by me also. I always like to talk boilers if you want to talk systems sometime pm me your phone.

gg

Status
Not open for further replies.