2014-2015 Blaze King Performance thread (Everything BK)#2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
$150-$180 a cord is the going rate in my area. I'm all electric heat and our first bill here was $650 and that was with 1 stove going! The breakers have been off ever since..

i have a heat pump along with my ashford. got the bill for a very cold feb. it was 180$. i set my emergency heat on 66 when its super cold and windy and the stove cant keep up. my fall and spring (little no heat or cooling) are about 120-130. my wife has an extra large whirlpool tub...

not bad at all.

oh yeah, a cord of oak is about 180-220$

Last edited:
Dumbud question because I'm sure this varies wildly depending on where you are from but what does a typical cord of wood go for? Just wondering if it would still be cheaper to burn wood than all-electric heat. Obviously splitting and hauling my own wood would be but never thought about actually buying wood to use.
Northwestern NJ between $180.00 & $225.00, Northeastern NJ - $180.00 - $300.00 higher as you get closer to NYC

Dumbud question because I'm sure this varies wildly depending on where you are from but what does a typical cord of wood go for? Just wondering if it would still be cheaper to burn wood than all-electric heat. Obviously splitting and hauling my own wood would be but never thought about actually buying wood to use.

I have over 20 acres of woods but messed my back up and now have two fused disks and a third will be fused in the next two months. I found a guy that will deliver and stack for $65 a good short bed pickup load. I will use about 7 truck loads this year so this comes out to $455 dollars worth. Even if I used 10 truck loads its still much cheaper than electric heat and to be honest I just like heating with wood much better or I wouldn't use it any more.

I "think" the average price per cord is around $225 from conversations on this sight but as you said, depends on where you live I suppose.

I have over 20 acres of woods but messed my back up and now have two fused disks and a third will be fused in the next two months. I found a guy that will deliver and stack for $65 a good short bed pickup load. I will use about 7 truck loads this year so this comes out to $455 dollars worth. Even if I used 10 truck loads its still much cheaper than electric heat and to be honest I just like heating with wood much better or I wouldn't use it any more.

I "think" the average price per cord is around $225 from conversations on this sight but as you said, depends on where you live I suppose.

Jack that electric heat up, your paying for my pension when I retire... I hope you feel better and have a quick recovery after your surgery. We got about 2" of snow this afternoon, should top off at 3", Thursday its suppose to get up into the upper 50's.

Lol and Thanks! Man, were in the mid 60's here today.
Jack that electric heat up, your paying for my pension when I retire... I hope you feel better and have a quick recovery after your surgery. We got about 2" of snow this afternoon, should top off at 3", Thursday its suppose to get up into the upper 50's.

150$ a cord all ash. Thumb, MI chimneys around here are going to be a mess when the dead ash runs out and people can't burn right off the stump anymore

Been a while.

Stove is off more than its on. No snow just rain. Currently 3C (37.5F)

My wood pile is thinning fast.

How's everyone doing?

I have about half a face cord left, running the stove about 1 night in three. I'll run out this weekend it looks like, but I am well into spring chores so it will be kinda nice to be done.

All the snow is off the south side of my roof, about 3/4 gone off the north side. I have about 80% of the hardpack off the driveway too. Killed the first mosquito of the season two days ago.

$150-$180 a cord is the going rate in my area. I'm all electric heat and our first bill here was $650 and that was with 1 stove going! The breakers have been off ever since..
Mine was $450 so I here ya. My previous house was gas so this all electric thing is new to me.

There's a place close to my work on my commute home that obviously sells wood. I see him out there splitting all the time. There's another close to my house. Might not hurt to pop in both to see what their going rate is.

Mine was $450 so I here ya. My previous house was gas so this all electric thing is new to me.
lol... I'm what the oil delivery man calls a "7 to 10 day customer." Burning 5 - 6 cords per year, I'm able to knock my oil bill down to $3400. I'd be more than double that, without wood.

While out scouting for firewood cutting opportunities, make sure to look down once in a while. We have found 17 elk sheds in the few weeks but have also seen a few still sporting head gear!

Oh I will be looking for sure.

I give racks to a friend who sells them by the pound.

I will be on the look out for wolves and Yotes this year after I buy glass & sight my new rifle in.

I average $35-$40 a month Gas bill. We also heat water with gas, 98% efficient condensing on demand boiler.

Oh yeah.

Just out of curiousity, if i add another 4ft section of my chimney pipe what benefit should i see?

If you add 4 feet of chimney you will see more, not necessarily better, draft. If you do not have a draft problem I would not add chimney with the possibility of creating an overdraft. Any new 4 foot addition is also going to cost you a new chimney brace since every 5 feet above the roof surface requires one.

Just curious, love my stove and my setup, just wondering as ive read some post of it giving a little better draft when putting the stove to lower temp. In the colder temps (below 30 consistent) the stove never went below 2.5 and my cat gauge would always be in the 12oclock range and higher.

Now with the warmer days coming 35-50 consistent days I'm finally putting the stove at around the 1-2 mark. But have noticed that the cat gauge seems to be heading towards the inactive zone. If I put the thermostat on the r or m of normal it's fine anything before it seems the stove isn't getting enough air and wants to die out.

Haven't really played with I that muh cause I work so much so I always leave it on the R letter which seems to be fine for now

So my thinking is if I add another 4 feet of chimney maybe I can get to lower the thermostat some more.

After 2 winters with an 94 Model year napoleon 1400, which was quite efficient but lacked real heat output, we decided to upgrade. I had my heart set on a progress hybrid. Wasn't convinced it would be quite enough output and the exchange rate and shipping was making it a hard sell. Woodstock folks wouldn't budge on the price. So I decided to clean everything and revamp the napoleon to get us through. To my everlasting joy I discovered I had a 8" flue! It had been twice reduced to 6" to fit the nappy. After phoning around and negotiating a good price I ordered a BK king ultra with fan kit. Super excited to try out a cat stove and with any luck will not be up every 2 hours to stoke anymore! I have a moderately insulated 1700 up 1700 down place in southern bc. Burning birch, pine, fir and larch.

Before you get that third disc fused slug down two 20oz bottles of Gatorade every day. Most back problems occur and can be cured by proper hydration. Been there got a drawerful of Tshirts.

Reactions: tarzan
After 2 winters with an 94 Model year napoleon 1400, which was quite efficient but lacked real heat output, we decided to upgrade. I had my heart set on a progress hybrid. Wasn't convinced it would be quite enough output and the exchange rate and shipping was making it a hard sell. Woodstock folks wouldn't budge on the price. So I decided to clean everything and revamp the napoleon to get us through. To my everlasting joy I discovered I had a 8" flue! It had been twice reduced to 6" to fit the nappy. After phoning around and negotiating a good price I ordered a BK king ultra with fan kit. Super excited to try out a cat stove and with any luck will not be up every 2 hours to stoke anymore! I have a moderately insulated 1700 up 1700 down place in southern bc. Burning birch, pine, fir and larch.

You won't need luck! No stoking every two hours with this one.

Reactions: Gakdudes
My Sirocco 30.1 thermostat do not have dot or number like the rest of BK, wonder why?

My Sirocco 30.1 thermostat do not have dot or number like the rest of BK, wonder why?
They decided to get rid of the numbers to avoid confusion. Everyone kept comparing what number their stove was set on. Some had flames at 3, others didn't, that kinda thing. Every set up is different, no 2 customers will have the same results on the same number setting. Now it's just a range, rather than number settings.
Your ash plug is also 2x the size as others.

They decided to get rid of the numbers to avoid confusion. Everyone kept comparing what number their stove was set on. Some had flames at 3, others didn't, that kinda thing. Every set up is different, no 2 customers will have the same results on the same number setting. Now it's just a range, rather than number settings.
Your ash plug is also 2x the size as others.
Got a photo of the new T-stat label? Was sort of counting on having the numbers so that I could record / reference what setting gives me the desired burn times I'm targeting. Yes, I know the two stoves will be different, on different chimneys. Yes, I know it will vary with weather. Still useful to have numbers.

Welcome to Hearth neighbor!

Status
Not open for further replies.