2014-2015 Blaze King Performance thread (Everything BK)#2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that there no longer a "setting" to find. I always always set the stat dial to a specific setting indicated on the sticker for repeatable dependable results. Sure, a guy could make new marks but that would be a hack compared to the numbered label. At least keep the gold normal range. The way these stoves burn is set it and forget it, this is great but you need settings.

Somebody ought to go to the house of the bk guy(or gal) that came up with this idea and replace his oven temperature control with an unlabeled scale like that. See how they like cooking bread, cookies, or turkeys. It's the same thing.

You know you're invited over anytime you like. You see my oven is the same as your oven with regard to settings. So when you walk in the door at my house you can use my oven because it's just like yours.

But...on the other hand you would have to get use to my King and how it performs when you point the white line at 2 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 4 o'clock or even full blast at 6 o'clock.

Did you get the package?

You know you're invited over anytime you like. You see my oven is the same as your oven with regard to settings. So when you walk in the door at my house you can use my oven because it's just like yours.

But...on the other hand you would have to get use to my King and how it performs when you point the white line at 2 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 4 o'clock or even full blast at 6 o'clock.

Did you get the package?

I'm fine with stove to stove variability but I know that my stove cruises great at the o on normal, my go-to setting. I don't expect any other bk to run the same at the o but without a label on the stat dial I would be guessing every time. To me, the marks (any marks) are extremely important. I can accept that some folks might be indifferent about the marks but did you ever get customers actually asking bk to remove them entirely? I answer questions on the phone a lot, often the same question and it can get boring but that's the job.

I just noticed that I have an weird writing style using "but" too much. Weird.

I just got back home today and opened the package. The cat is ceramic. Stove has been at high output all day bringing the house up from 54 degrees!

I'm fine with stove to stove variability but I know that my stove cruises great at the o on normal, my go-to setting. I don't expect any other bk to run the same at the o but without a label on the stat dial I would be guessing every time. To me, the marks (any marks) are extremely important. I can accept that some folks might be indifferent about the marks but did you ever get customers actually asking bk to remove them entirely? I answer questions on the phone a lot, often the same question and it can get boring but that's the job.

I just noticed that I have an weird writing style using "but" too much. Weird.

I just got back home today and opened the package. The cat is ceramic. Stove has been at high output all day bringing the house up from 54 degrees!

Sorry, shipping guy ws gone and we had a temp.. I'll get it resolved Monday. As for the "but's" no worries,

Reactions: Highbeam
Brought in another face cord tonight. I got an inch of snow int he forecast for tomorrow... dang it.

Strongly agree.

image.jpg
Well we are in full fledged flash fire season, high temps in the low 60's with night temps still cruising in the 30's, I just lit the stove after 2 days of no burning, believe it or not the ashes were still relatively warm, gonna give it a full load, let that cat probe hit high noon then shut the thermostat down to 1.5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Highbeam and tarzan
View attachment 157145 Well we are in full fledged flash fire season, high temps in the low 60's with night temps still cruising in the 30's, I just lit the stove after 2 days of no burning, believe it or not the ashes were still relatively warm, gonna give it a full load, let that cat probe hit high noon then shut the thermostat down to 1.5.

I may be partial...way to go!

View attachment 157145 Well we are in full fledged flash fire season, high temps in the low 60's with night temps still cruising in the 30's, I just lit the stove after 2 days of no burning, believe it or not the ashes were still relatively warm, gonna give it a full load, let that cat probe hit high noon then shut the thermostat down to 1.5.
What are those bars running from the stove top to the fans? I have the same stove, but mine did not come with this.

Those bars extend burn time by 25%, lol no they are just a decorative thing that came with the stove princess ultra I think is the model

Those bars extend burn time by 25%, lol no they are just a decorative thing that came with the stove princess ultra I think is the model
The rails are for decoration. They were welded on in years past, now they just set in place. They became an option about a year ago, no longer included.

The rails are for decoration. They were welded on in years past, now they just set in place. They became an option about a year ago, no longer included.
Thanks. I just went to the BK site and looked at the brochure and it showed those on the parlor model. I was about to call the dealer and ask WTH. It wouldn't have surprised me if he just forgot to install them after my dealings with him last year. If it was an option, then I know I didn't pay for it.

Love the thread folks and have a quick BK question.

I will be replacing my Hearthstone Homestead with a BK princess and wanted to ask every ones opinion on the "options" they sell for the stove. I owned a King (new in 2001) and loved the cat stove, but it stayed when I sold the house. My current HS stove is just too small and the stove will drop to 200*F at 4 hours running on lowest setting. I need the stove to stay roughly around 300*F minimum to maintain the house temp between 67-69 during most of the winter. House is a 1,500sf ranch, spray foam insulated, bottom end newer windows, no basement, stove in central location in living room, standard ceilings.

1. Fans: Are they too loud to run while you're sitting in the same room as the stove watching TV?
2. Ash pan: My BK King didn't have one and I guess I never missed it. The Hearthstone ash pan is a joke so I don't use it. Is the Princess pan functional?
3. Convection Deck: Does this add function or is it a "looks" item?

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Thanks. I just went to the BK site and looked at the brochure and it showed those on the parlor model. I was about to call the dealer and ask WTH. It wouldn't have surprised me if he just forgot to install them after my dealings with him last year. If it was an option, then I know I didn't pay for it.

In the old days you had those rails on top of cook stoves (especially on boats) to prevent your pot of beans or coffee from sliding off the edge. I just figured the rails were a nod to that heritage.

I will be replacing my Hearthstone Homestead with a BK princess and wanted to ask every ones opinion on the "options" they sell for the stove. I owned a King (new in 2001) and loved the cat stove, but it stayed when I sold the house. My current HS stove is just too small and the stove will drop to 200*F at 4 hours running on lowest setting. I need the stove to stay roughly around 300*F minimum to maintain the house temp between 67-69 during most of the winter. House is a 1,500sf ranch, spray foam insulated, bottom end newer windows, no basement, stove in central location in living room, standard ceilings.

1. Fans: Are they too loud to run while you're sitting in the same room as the stove watching TV?
2. Ash pan: My BK King didn't have one and I guess I never missed it. The Hearthstone ash pan is a joke so I don't use it. Is the Princess pan functional?

Thanks all!

1. My hearing ain't what it used to be. A few years ago, when the kids were loud, we got into the habit of watching TV with closed captioning on, and still do. They are kinda loud on high, not bad at all on low.

2. Ash pan is certainly functional, but I just don't like the plug. Some do, some don't. The Ultra pan is actually pretty nifty with the folding cover. Never seen the pan on the parlor model.

3. I have a King Ultra, with the standard convection deck. My sister has a Classic without the deck, and I don't see much difference. The blowers move quite a bit of air either way.

The stove's been fallow for a few weeks, and it's the man's birthday, but one hint from me that it's a bit chilly in here, even though the thermostat says 71*....

Thanks all!
Quiet on low...noisy on high but can move a tremendous amount of hot air.

I think the ash pan on the parlor version is a bit shallow, but functional. It has a clever design that opens and closes as you insert into the stove.

Convection deck is 80% looks and 20% functional. Many consumers say the air feels hotter because it stays focused over the hottest part of the stove.

Lastly, thank you for your purchase.

Well, "the man" has spoken and left little more to be said ;) but we run the fan on low most of the time here and it just becomes a little white noise after a while. Meaning we don't even notice it's running until we turn it up or off. We've never needed to run it wide open but it can get pretty loud to my ears but also move a lot of heat on anything above low.

I don't have an ash pan or convection deck and don't miss what I've never had I guess. Many who have the ash pan on the BK use it and like it but you will find you can go long stretches before needing to fool with ashes, ash pan or not.

Thanks all!

I went from a very similar Hearthstone heritage to a BK princess three years ago. Same house, same chimney, same wood. The hearthstone had no problem keeping the house warm but it ate the wood and had short burn times. The BK is much bigger but so much more controllable that you can burn it during warmer times and not overheat the house plus crank it up and the larger stove makes more mojo than the Hearthstone could have. The BK is a big upgrade with regards to actually heating a house with wood. Long burn times are very important to people that actually use their stoves for heat.

I chose the ultra princess because I found it more attractive. The main body is less oddly shaped than the parlor or classic and the pedestal improves the look. I got all of the options and don't regret it, the options are pretty cheap.

1) My BK is right next to the TV and with the fans on low we do not need to adjust the volume of the TV. Pretty quiet. About like a refrigerator running. Fans only need to run when trying to push up the house temp, not when maintaining. Maybe 25% of the time.
2) Ash pan. The ultra pan is bigger but still only holds the ash from about two inches of firebox depth (out of 6) so you need to be careful to not overfill it. I am actually using the ash pan now because overall I put much less ash dust into the house than when I use the shovel method. It's a PITA but it is cleaner. The Hearthstone ashpan really sucked.
3) The deck is only like 150$. It adds a lot to the looks and can't hurt the function. Even if only somewhat. The only drawback is that you have less stovetop room for things like kettles or cooking if you're into that.

Thanks fellas!
My wife says she likes the nickel legs on the parlor, so I'd bet my paycheck that's what we buy. I can't wait until I can send this HS homestead down the road! Don't get me wrong, it sure is pretty to look at but it is more of a romantic wood stove and doesn't fit MY needs. I need something that has more USABLE cubic inches of firebox and a deeper belly so I don't have to empty the ashes every week. Plus the fact that every time you open the door on this current stove it dumps ashes, which of course the fly ash goes flying up the warm air currents and lands all over the living room. My king was a lot cleaner in that regard. Even if I made a big mess being shaky handed shoveling ash, at least that was only once a month vs. every stinking time I open the door (which is 3-4 times a day).

I imagine I will get fans and maybe an ashpan. My local dealer, Porters out of Riverton, WY seems to stock most with fans. Doubt I will go with the deck unless my wife thinks it's "pretty". ;-)

Next $.05 question:
How much do you think I can sell my Hearth Stone if I consign it at the dealer? They danced around when I asked how much used stoves sell for.

Get the blower, you won't regret it.

Ok all you BK owners. ...I'm hitting the road and have brew funds! I'll be traveling around Ohio, lower Michigan late next week and the entire following week. Then after a day home for laundry I'll be in Massachusetts and other NE states. Send pm with where you live and if possible I'll get a hold of you for a brew. In next 8 weeks I'll be on the road all but 6 days....

Reactions: webfish
Ok all you BK owners. ...I'm hitting the road and have brew funds! I'll be traveling around Ohio, lower Michigan late next week and the entire following week. Then after a day home for laundry I'll be in Massachusetts and other NE states. Send pm with where you live and if possible I'll get a hold of you for a brew. In next 8 weeks I'll be on the road all but 6 days....
How bout south/central Indiana? I'll buy! Upland brewing isn't our only brewery in town...

If your rep takes me there...I'm in. Ask your rep! I'm just along for the ride...the last place we ate was good too!

Status
Not open for further replies.