2014-2015 Blaze King Performance thread (Everything BK)#2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like burning softies, I prefer the burn times from good hardwoods though

'Slotta walnut ;)

0114151808.jpg

And no, I'm not that focused on using every inch of firebox. That small round is slowing down the flame path between those splits and up the bypass.

Reactions: kennyp2339
'Slotta walnut ;)

View attachment 150733

And no, I'm not that focused on using every inch of firebox. That small round is slowing down the flame path between those splits and up the bypass.

Do you notice excessive coaling with the walnut. I find hat maple and walnut both make an amazing pile of coals that just won't burn down.

Do you notice excessive coaling with the walnut. I find hat maple and walnut both make an amazing pile of coals that just won't burn down.

It doesn't seem to matter much. I wake up to coals a foot deep with any kind of wood. Split size seems to be a bigger factor. Those big blocks make lots of coals.

Smelled nice outside when I grabbed a few armloads to refill the rack on the hearth. Only thing that smells better when burning is cherry, imo.

Still blows my mind how much wood I can stuff in there.

My Dad was visiting and I carried in a big load of splits. He said, "you can't put all that in there." Well, you can imagine his surprise when it all stacked in neatly and lit off immediately. And then there was the next day... 16 hours after loading I told him I was about ready to reload. He assumed I'd been steadily feeding it. His exact quote was... "oh, c'mon."

'Slotta walnut ;)

View attachment 150733

I cut a single piece of black walnut that will fill 88% of my firebox in a single piece. I am waiting for a very special occasion to use this load...like an upcoming 3 week vacation! And yes, coals are the norm.

Reactions: turbojoe
I cut a single piece of black walnut that will fill 88% of my firebox in a single piece. I am waiting for a very special occasion to use this load...like an upcoming 3 week vacation! And yes, coals are the norm.
I have enough wood stored up for the next two years, cut, split & stacked from last winter, I have 5 tree's that fell during thanksgiving snowstorm that I'm going to "take care of" soon, I will be splitting very large and hopefully I'll be able to mix it in with my smaller "normal size splits"

Your going to have to post a picture of that.

Reactions: jeff_t

Problem is, you need to make the door bigger ;)

I have a big white ash split I need to trim up a little so can get it in. Been sitting around for three years, oughta be dry enough.

Your going to have to post a picture of that.

If I remember I will. I am leaving soon to New Zealand and plan on putting in that huge piece with 4 NIELS on top! Might go at least 3-4 days in active and than drop out. I got to keep that old furnace from coming on as long as possible!

Pffff one piece 88% the size of a King.

Sounds like a sauna to me.

Unless you can get it lit off like this.

You win!

Flames are just showing off. This stove is running at just over 650.

Attachments

• IMG_20150117_084754.jpg
    IMG_20150117_084754.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_20150117_084827.jpg
    IMG_20150117_084827.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 386
If I remember I will. I am leaving soon to New Zealand and plan on putting in that huge piece with 4 NIELS on top! Might go at least 3-4 days in active and than drop out. I got to keep that old furnace from coming on as long as possible!
How in the world could you get that to stay in active that long??? I can't keep my insert in active overnight?!?

Flames are just showing off. This stove is running at just over 650.

Well it is a BLAZE-king Ha Ha.

You have the heater in your main living space? Dam I bet its nice and warm in there. Shirts, vest, AC on etc etc.

Woke up this morning to 77F and decided to let the unit go Cold, Will clean the ashes out and maybe try my special piece in once I get it back up to temperature.

Last edited:
How in the world could you get that to stay in active that long??? I can't keep my insert in active overnight?!?

Every install is different.... remember?

Yep! And I bet the king of blaze king has the best set up possible!!!

He's actually posted a time or two his draft is less than perfect. :)

So.. I'm in trouble, this is what my kitchen looks like right now. Things didn't go over well with SHMBO. Its too warm to burn! Its been 50 here and I'm not liking it!

Attachments

• 20150117_194314.jpg
    20150117_194314.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 403
Hope you got reassembly instructions for your saw....

So.. I'm in trouble, this is what my kitchen looks like right now. Things didn't go over well with SHMBO. Its too warm to burn! Its been 50 here and I'm not liking it!

Orange handle. What is that a 290?

Orange handle. What is that a 290?

Good eye! Yep, 290 when I got my hands on it the previous owner appears to have run it on non mixed gas (that's what was left in the tank). So the entire saw was pretty much in perfect/new condition except for the cylinder and piston (both trashed). Its getting a cylinder and piston off a 390 (49mm instead of stock 46mm) and a full port job.

Hope you got reassembly instructions for your saw....

Nope, no instructions! :D All in my head.

Reactions: Highbeam
Yeah I bet the wife just loves the smell of gas in her living room. You're also missing a very important piece.

Anyhow, biggest piece I've put in the BK to date.

Western Red Larch, stump wood. I have the sister piece on the pile, didnt wanna throw both in as unsure of MC in the middle.

Woke up to 25C in the house, combine that with a 'Red Wine Hangover, didnt reload this morning, let her cool off. Unloaded the ash. Fired her up at 19:30 tonight. (With that big split right in the middle)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.