2014-2015 Blaze King Performance thread (Everything BK)#2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone of these would work ;)

Don't need bottle openers for taps. ;)

That is a impressive bottle opener collection though.

Attachments

• IMG_5084.JPG
    IMG_5084.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 299
Don't need bottle openers for taps. ;)

That is a impressive bottle opener collection though.

Ha awesome. Never trust a man who:

1) Doesn't have a bar.
2) Doesn't want a bar.
3) Doesn't plan on building a bar.

Those openers are not mine. Neat collection thou.

Super Jolly actually, wish it was a major. Haven't found a broken one to fix yet!

Yep, there are several Aladdin lamps floating around the house, great for power outages! They are all kept in working order.

Anyone of these would work ;)

83D7B0C2-3B31-4FE5-B6A1-E55B7283D1DA-4385-00000241A11D0579_zpseca4a573.jpg

Top of my 'Split' pic you can see the missing ingredient.
Bottle Openers? Don't I see a Coors Light can east of the big boy?

I took advantage of the warmer weather today to shut down the stove and recheck the bypass gasket seal. When I did the dollar bill test, I wasn't getting much resistance. The gasket is smushed pretty flat but I was able to tighten the seal up by turning the adjuster bolt a few times. It's getting changed out this summer for sure.

I also applied a few drops of gun oil on the t-stat and flapper washers which took away all of the crunching I was getting, taking it back to the smooth turning like it was new.

The one thing I did find though that I wasn't expecting, was to find the cat had walked about an 1/8th inch out of its housing. I was able to push it back home with a little nudge, and I noticed the gasket was intact. Has anyone else had this happen? That gasket is getting replaced before next season too, and I may double it up on one side to make it a little more snug in the housing.

ive had little baby flames bouncing around between the cat and screen. looked pretty cool. PS you cant hijack a thread thats really about nothing in the first place ;)

I wouldn't worry at all about the flame between the shield & CAT. Just keep loading it, keep your family and property warm.

BKVP: Coor's lite baby. Also a can of Bud Lime just for laughs.

Loading the wood stove? Just an excuse for another beer.

Still waiting for pics of that giant split?

I wouldn't worry at all about the flame between the shield & CAT. Just keep loading it, keep your family and property warm.

BKVP: Coor's lite baby. Also a can of Bud Lime just for laughs.

Loading the wood stove? Just an excuse for another beer.

Still waiting for pics of that giant split?
I just got a bottle of Don Julio 1942 from a friend...a really good friend. Looking for new friend for bottle of Don Julio Real. Photo will be posted soon...vacation begins end of next week!

First year of using my new BK Princess Ultra and it has been fantastic! Still learning every day on all fronts but it has been a blast. Now, thinking ahead to warmer weather (we got up to 48 degrees F today which made me think spring) what is the best method to clean up the outside of the stove after the burning season ends? Curious to hear what you all do. Do you dust it off and call it good....stove black...paint.... I just want to get ahead of the game and have everything on hand when that dreaded day comes that I can burn no more this season. Appreciate any advice and I really have enjoyed this forum!

First year of using my new BK Princess Ultra and it has been fantastic! Still learning every day on all fronts but it has been a blast. Now, thinking ahead to warmer weather (we got up to 48 degrees F today which made me think spring) what is the best method to clean up the outside of the stove after the burning season ends? Curious to hear what you all do. Do you dust it off and call it good....stove black...paint.... I just want to get ahead of the game and have everything on hand when that dreaded day comes that I can burn no more this season. Appreciate any advice and I really have enjoyed this forum!

Clean sponge and water on the outside. Really, you're just dusting it. Rinse several times or you will just make mud.

You're already planning for the end of the burn season?

Reactions: jeff_t
Clean sponge and water on the outside. Really, you're just dusting it. Rinse several times or you will just make mud.

You're already planning for the end of the burn season?

Sorry Highbeam....but as I've read over and over....this stove can also be quite boring so my mind begins to wander... I'll try to refocus on winter for a few more months. It's just not easy with this stove. Reloaded the stove when I got home from work yesterday at 5:00 p.m....got up this morning and still had 1/4 of a load left to burn...

The paint on mine looks just fine. It's the spots from the big, slobbering dog that shakes her head all the time that muck it up.

Mine has Stove Bright on it. I guess they have different vendor these days.

Mine still looks brand new although it is new'ish ;)

Every time I load I blow any dust off it, run a brush along the ash plate etc. I cleaned the glass the other day and its 'Mustard'

BKVP : Dinny worry about the pics pal, your friend sounds like a keeper.

Last edited:
So you guys like clean glass eh?

Lighting up on me while loadin the dam wood in.

Now she don't take long at all. Woowzers.

Good time to close her down when the flue starts to buzz with the by-pass closed.

Good for another 12hrs worth I imagine.

With dry wood and a good draft, simple, no fancy pansy IR's or added temp probes needed.

Has anyone here used a princess without side shields then added them? I am looking to possibly add some as my wall gets kind of warm and it got me thinking: would adding the shields add to the burn time? I'm getting about 12 hour burn times BUT I also leave a door to my breezeway and sunroom open which is a HUGE heat loss. Trying to keep the sunroom with all glass around 55 works fine. the rest of the house is comfy! This stove is the best money I have spent this year next to my tractor.

First full month running the King, and I received my energy bill yesterday. 88% reduction in gas (-165 therms over last year) and about 55 kwh lower on the electric. The energy company showed up promptly around noon to do an "annual audit" on my gas meter. :)

Oh thank you Jesus. Forecast to drop to -42dF tomorrow night when the snow quits, the clouds move out and the cold moves in.

I am literally excited about running my Ashford wide open to see what it can really do.

I'll keep you posted ;-)

Oh thank you Jesus. Forecast to drop to -42dF tomorrow night when the snow quits, the clouds move out and the cold moves in.

I am literally excited about running my Ashford wide open to see what it can really do.

I'll keep you posted ;-)

Some 'Real Deal' temps. Hope you have success.

What kinda burn times are you expecting?

Some 'Real Deal' temps. Hope you have success.

What kinda burn times are you expecting?

I'll take four hours at wide open and hope for six.

Updated forecast as of this morning is -36dF Sun and Mon nights with daytime high Monday of -24dF.

I am not worried about keeping the house warm with a full load. The trick is going to be getting the coals burnt down far enough and fast enough to reload before the house cools too far.

Reactions: turbojoe

Updated forecast as of this morning is -36dF Sun and Mon nights with daytime high Monday of -24dF.

I am not worried about keeping the house warm with a full load. The trick is going to be getting the coals burnt down far enough and fast enough to reload before the house cools too far.

We are setting high temp records here in Washington. Will be in the 60s this weekend. Hard to heat with wood when it's like this. 80 degrees inside right now.

I've had to shovel coals out to make roof for fresh fuel, kinda wasteful but you gotta do what you gotta do. I think next time I evac coals I might try to seal the pail with aluminum foil to make charcoal, worth a try right.

Status
Not open for further replies.