2014-2015 Blaze King Performance thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my limited 5 hours of experience burning wood.. it seems that most of the flames when it's set on high lick up the front of the stove.. and hit the cat. I'm loading left/right as it says in the book. It doesn't seem like there is any way around flames hitting the cat, except maybe go front to back?

I'll let it rip. The stove seems well enough built in all the right places to take a healthy 600 degree burn for an hour. Like others, I am most concerned about flames hitting the cat. I'll probably run at setting #3 which is above the normal range for that one hour. Small splits stacked loosely.

I run this stove long and low all winter on purpose so this hot rodding adventure will be a first.

I'm equally concerned with stove temps.

I've seen stove top temps at the cat run over 600f for hours once I set the draft/thermostat to 1

Reactions: becasunshine
You could leave the by-pass open when burning crap off inside the box,maybe close the by-pass but don't latch it maybe?
I have never worried any about build up in the box ,seems it burns off now and then.

You could leave the by-pass open when burning crap off inside the box,maybe close the by-pass but don't latch it maybe?
I have never worried any about build up in the box ,seems it burns off now and then.

It might be paranoia but I worry about high heat loads shooting up through the bypass opening. I've seen photos of that sissy bar bent and bypass gasket frames warped out of shape. Shooting intense heat through that opening might not be the intent of the design. I never worried about the accumulation of shmook inside the firebox but after BKVP's input I suppose I maybe should be.

It might be paranoia but I worry about high heat loads shooting up through the bypass opening. I've seen photos of that sissy bar bent and bypass gasket frames warped out of shape. Shooting intense heat through that opening might not be the intent of the design. I never worried about the accumulation of shmook inside the firebox but after BKVP's input I suppose I maybe should be.
You make a good point on the by-pass I guess.
I dunno,I never gave it much thought on burning the crap out..it just seems to happen on it's own.

Maybe even if the flame impingement shortens the life of the cat some it would still be better than the alternatives being discussed.

Or pull the cat and let er rip!
Clean out the area behind the cat while it is out and of course the cat itself.
Maybe once a year when you sweep the flue?
I'm not going to lose any sleep over it though..lol.

Or pull the cat and let er rip!
Clean out the area behind the cat while it is out and of course the cat itself.
Maybe once a year when you sweep the flue?
I'm not going to lose any sleep over it though..lol.

Me neither. I think I'll keep the benefits in mind and burn hotter at the start of a load when it doesn't run us out of the house to do so but considering all the factors involved I doubt I will ever run my stove exactly "by the directions"

You had me let mine rip for an hour and a half. How long can it safely be run this way?
You're good to go. Don't worry about the extra .5 hours.

Oh heck NO!! The gasket retainers for the by pass WILL NOT tolerate the higher temps you would experience. Do Not do this! Only with the by pass closed should you attempt this hot fire to clean out the firebox.

Oh heck NO!! The gasket retainers for the by pass WILL NOT tolerate the higher temps you would experience. Do Not do this! Only with the by pass closed should you attempt this hot fire to clean out the firebox.
Ok boss! lol

Me neither. I think I'll keep the benefits in mind and burn hotter at the start of a load when it doesn't run us out of the house to do so but considering all the factors involved I doubt I will ever run my stove exactly "by the directions"
That's a good idea. The greatest depreciation in the weight of load is the first few hours as the moisture is boiled from the wood. This is also a good idea right after placing in a full load for an extended burn. Good thinking Tarzan!

Reactions: tarzan
Your observations are correct Highbeam. Do it with the by pass closed.

Ok boss! lol
Hey HotCoals I'm in NY (Long Island) Tues-Fri of next week for the Wood Stove Design Challenge. Get your carcass up there and I'll buy you dinner....and BEER!

BEER!

I'm only 400 miles away myself!;)

I was out near Albany last week and that was 3.5 hours from my house!
Picked up another sled!
Plus I don't drink beer..but a Capt/Coke finds it way to my belly now and then...lol.

I was out near Albany last week and that was 3.5 hours from my house!
Picked up another sled!
Plus I don't drink beer..but a Capt/Coke finds it way to my belly now and then...lol.
But that Italian deli "Anthony's" has some good grub!!

But that Italian deli "Anthony's" has some good grub!!
yeah. But just tonight even I settled for a Italian sub from Subway..such as life eh..but it was pretty good and way closer!
Have a good time out there! Cheers!

005.JPG

Tonight, about two hours in. Stove top temperature right over the cat is at 634'F. Stove has been running right in the middle of the "normal" setting on the thermostat for about an hour and 15 minutes or so. Took about 30-45 minutes to get lit, running and established tonight from a stone cold stove. Toasty warm in here now. :) :)

I'm equally concerned with stove temps.

I've seen stove top temps at the cat run over 600f for hours once I set the draft/thermostat to 1

Yeah, here as well. Right now as a matter of fact, except our thermometer is set right dead center in the middle of normal. We are warming up a cold house so I don't mind the stove temp right now, as long as it's OK for the stove.

In fact I'm rather loving the stove temp at the moment. :)

View attachment 142984

Tonight, about two hours in. Stove top temperature right over the cat is at 634'F. Stove has been running right in the middle of the "normal" setting on the thermostat for about an hour and 15 minutes or so. Took about 30-45 minutes to get lit, running and established tonight from a stone cold stove. Toasty warm in here now. :) :)

How's the weather there tonight? Gonna be low 30s to high 20s here for the next couple days and I'm actually looking forward to burning 24/3. Lol

Yeah, here as well. Right now as a matter of fact, except our thermometer is set right dead center in the middle of normal. We are warming up a cold house so I don't mind the stove temp right now, as long as it's OK for the stove.

In fact I'm rather loving the stove temp at the moment. :)

No worries. We were actualy discussing running the stove with the draft/thermostat fully open for an hour or so to get rid of corrosive creosite build up in the stove. My post was in reference to that.

How's the weather there tonight? Gonna be low 30s to high 20s here for the next couple days and I'm actually looking forward to burning 24/3. Lol

Low 40's to high 30's overnight, low to mid 50s during the day, with wind and rain. We'll probably get wind off of the water with significant wind chill. Coastal regions will see coastal flooding with 25-35 mph winds, with gusts up to 50 mph on the coast.

Basically we're going to have *another* Nor'easter. Darn it. Just got over one at the end of last week. =/

You guys look way to deep into BK burns.

Just load it up and run it. Mines never stopped in 2 weeks now.

Don't worry about the crap in the box. Don't worry about the Cat.
Don't worry about the Creo corrosion.

Concentrate on dry wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.