2014-2015 Blaze King Performance thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The ultra does, it's pretty thin I noticed it when I stripped the stove down to move it around for installation

Do you have a photo of you themo set at 0 and was wondering what temps your getting and is it with or with out the fans.?

Cant get a pic but It you were looking at a clock mine is 1 - 4 1 is at about 1o'clock The 4 is at about 5 o'clock Cold the stoves thermo clicks right about the 1o'clock mark. Hot with dry wood I turn the thermostat back past the 1'oclock counter clockwise till it stops which is about 7o'clock and it runs with the cat about half way for hours and hours. 9-10 hours later there is only some coals left and the stove is still pretty warm. I usually only burn at night during the week. We are on a hill with lots of windows and even at -10f outside if its sunny its 75 in the house.

Reactions: Rich2343
Thanks for that, Dave. My stove was old when I bought it new. Stove Brite metallic black.

Bk is asleep for the next few days, between solar gain and just all around warm outside temps no need to fire the beast. I will say though I look forward to the day when I get to stuff it to the brim and get to see that 24 hr burn I've read about for the last few years. I haven't even moved wood to the porch yet, it's too soon, maybe next week to give the house the look and let stuff start to get its final time on earth before being consumed and turned into dust like everything else that walks the earth....

Alright that was dark lol

Bk is asleep for the next few days, between solar gain and just all around warm outside temps no need to fire the beast. I will say though I look forward to the day when I get to stuff it to the brim and get to see that 24 hr burn I've read about for the last few years. I haven't even moved wood to the porch yet, it's too soon, maybe next week to give the house the look and let stuff start to get its final time on earth before being consumed and turned into dust like everything else that walks the earth....

Alright that was dark lol

Not dark; beautiful. Ashes to ashes. :)

Reactions: Dieselhead
image.jpg Alright guy scratch all that soft talk about the stove taking a nap etc..... 67 in the castle and low of 43 tonight the king is now stirring. The kicker is it's the first time the wife is home when the king is awake, hope she dosent ask to go to the 24 hr diner after smelling the pancakes (new paint curing lol)

Very impressive. But my Ashford didn't smell anything like pancakes. More like toxic waste. Perhaps it's something about the enamel finish.

Very impressive. But my Ashford didn't smell anything like pancakes. More like toxic waste. Perhaps it's something about the enamel finish.

Never go to dieselhead's house for breakfast. !!!

Reactions: firefighterjake
Ha! Maybe it's the Teflon from the pan, not the pancakes;lol

Just purchased my ticket to the 14-15 BK thread yesterday in the form of a Princess Parlor. She's setting 3' from the hearth, waiting on side shields to make there way from Washington to my holler.

For some reason, I was hoping by posting it in this thread I could avoid Brother Bart finding out I had gotten a cat! But I can see he's been peepin round the corner.

O'l well, it's still a big honkin steel stove so maybe...;)

Welcome to the most boring show on earth :cool: (for viewing a fire anyways)

Reactions: jeff_t and tarzan
Well. After allot of advise / guidance from people in the real world and people in the cyber world av come to a conclusion.

This stove works best on 1.5!

Friend warned me to run in the 'Norm' only as it will plug the chimney. So I burnt a load of Larch in 5 hours without the cat lighting up, And again with a mixture of wood.

So the last few burns have been @ 1.5'ish and its just cruising. Cat is lit right up, Stove top is 500-600F. Flue is hot, just cruising. Majority of the wood is still present. 12-18hr burns are viable.

Weird.

Reactions: Rich2343
Touched up the paint on my stove pipe a few days ago. Big mistake. Wife hasn't been willing to be in the house since then. She's not angry. In fact, she's been really sweet about it.

Right now, I've got the stove running full bore and the windows in the house open, top to bottom. It's taking days to get rid of the horrible plastic smell. Starting to wonder if it will ever leave.

Touched up the paint on my stove pipe a few days ago. Big mistake. Wife hasn't been willing to be in the house since then. She's not angry. In fact, she's been really sweet about it.

Right now, I've got the stove running full bore and the windows in the house open, top to bottom. It's taking days to get rid of the horrible plastic smell. Starting to wonder if it will ever leave.

Oh it might take a while.

Mine is in the basement and Iam happy I can still smell it a little. Means the warm air is getting up on the main floor.

It does take a while, Wife left with the kids the other day, figured I would take it up another notch. Well had all the doors and windows open and the attic fan on. Hopefully seasoned good enough for the deep freeze of winter. I learned dont paint the pipe with just flat black to make it look good. It burns brown and is a pain to get off.

It does take a while, Wife left with the kids the other day, figured I would take it up another notch. Well had all the doors and windows open and the attic fan on. Hopefully seasoned good enough for the deep freeze of winter. I learned dont paint the pipe with just flat black to make it look good. It burns brown and is a pain to get off.
Flat black is fine to paint pipe with. Are you using Stove Bright? It shouldn't be turning off color for many years.

Ok, I get it now. Decided to do a small break in fire a few nights ago with several pieces of kindlin and one regular split of wood resplit down the middle.

I was just intending on opening some windows and burning off the paint smell. Well, one thing led to another. Next thing I new the cat was active and the dang thing stayed that way for 8 hours.

Gonna take some getting used to though. Every time I looked at the fire box my first instinct was to turn the draft up even though cat was well into the active zone and stove top temp was around 450. Wife was also enamored by the amount of heat it was putting out while " not burning wood" even though she kept looking through the glass and nicknamed it " the dark Obiss" . However you spell that.

Ok, I get it now. Decided to do a small break in fire a few nights ago with several pieces of kindlin and one regular split of wood resplit down the middle.

I was just intending on opening some windows and burning off the paint smell. Well, one thing led to another. Next thing I new the cat was active and the dang thing stayed that way for 8 hours.

Gonna take some getting used to though. Every time I looked at the fire box my first instinct was to turn the draft up even though cat was well into the active zone and stove top temp was around 450. Wife was also enamored by the amount of heat it was putting out while " not burning wood" even though she kept looking through the glass and nicknamed it " the dark Obiss" . However you spell that.

Welcome to the dark side!
For sure when the glass gets all black..lol.
Just crank the heat up and most of the time you can burn a lot of it off. Most of the times when I do that I have the by-pass open though.

Well 22 hours she ran for last load. That was on a load of pine & spruce.

Loaded her up again around 15:30 with a bunch of larch and some pine. Fired right off.

Basically set it to 1.4 and let her rip. 590F ontop. Told the wife to notch it upto 1.5 later and increase if required before she hits the sack. Doing my last Nightshift tonight. Will see how it looks at 08:00 MST.

Reactions: R'Lee
Status
Not open for further replies.