2015-2016 Blaze King Performance thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just remember it's still just a Woodstove. You're results will be very different than others considering all the variables. The numbers mean something different to every user, so they can't really be used as a comparison. If it's that important, make your own marks.
I think the whole sticker thing is hokey anyway! I might remove mine and add it to the pile of numbered stickers In the drawer.
I'm getting a new sticker, making my own marks, and putting it at the front of the bracket where it belongs anyway

Wait till next years models when they put the sticker where it belongs and 3 o'clock is now 9 o'clock ! Oh dear lord what will we do!!!

Reactions: Ashful
Once you all get a few months of burning under your belt you won't care about those numbers on the sticker. This is just about the silliest complaint I've seen about a stove. I mean come on.. On your kitchen range do you need exact numbers on the dial to boil water? Or does high, medium, low or little in between work fine? It sure does for me, I don't have to make sure the range is set to an exact mark to achieve the desired results. You don't need to on your stove either. I can't tell you the last time I even looked at it, after a very short time I knew exactly what to expect from the stove on any of the settings.

Its because there is nothing else to complain about! I cant wait to start a fire. listening to you guys has me going crazy! Side note, I was able to achieve a 42hr burn (still enough left to start another fire) in the princess ultra last year with oak ~20% and a 14' chimney with two 90's. Im in southern Oregon so I didn't require a lot from the stove which helped but my power bill went from $300 to $40 for the winter! I ended up doing 3/4 loads and reloading every 24hrs for the winter with a poor draft. I added 4' class A this summer so I cant wait to see if there is a difference (I had issues with smoke on reloads and the occasional back draft). My wood is also a lot better seasoned now.

Reactions: Woody harrelson
Once you all get a few months of burning under your belt you won't care about those numbers on the sticker. This is just about the silliest complaint I've seen about a stove. I mean come on.. On your kitchen range do you need exact numbers on the dial to boil water? Or does high, medium, low or little in between work fine? It sure does for me, I don't have to make sure the range is set to an exact mark to achieve the desired results. You don't need to on your stove either. I can't tell you the last time I even looked at it, after a very short time I knew exactly what to expect from the stove on any of the settings.

I completely disagree, every time you say this. Try selling a wall thermostat for a central heating system without numbers. Try baking cookies in the oven without numbers. You don't use them, fine, I do use them every single time. Some guys are fine with idiot lights and no tachometer on their dash. Maybe you don't even look at your speedometer. Doesn't make the numbers any less important for those that do.

It doesn't hurt a non-user of the numbers to have them on the stat. It does hurt the guy that uses the numbers to have them removed for no good reason.

Some folks want to operate this appliance at a higher level which requires the numbers. You don't, fine, you have your opinion.

Last edited:
Y
I completely disagree, every time you say this. Try selling a wall thermostat for a central heating system without numbers. Try baking cookies in the oven without numbers. You don't use them, fine, I do use them every single time. Some guys are fine with idiot lights and no tachometer on their dash. Maybe you don't even look at your speedometer. Doesn't make the numbers any less important for those that do.

It doesn't hurt a non-user of the numbers to have them on the stat. It does hurt the guy that uses the numbers to have them removed for no good reason.

Some folks want to operate this appliance at a higher level which requires the numbers. You don't, fine, you have your opinion.
yeah what he said:)

I forgot, your opinion always trumps others. My bad..

Reactions: Highbeam
Ok let's move past the crappy thermostat setting identification on to something more interesting like long ass burn times!

How do you get the piece of wood against the left and right wall to burn. So far I have had to move them towards the middle later on in the burn when there's room. Any tricks?

How do you get the piece of wood against the left and right wall to burn. So far I have had to move them towards the middle later on in the burn when there's room. Any tricks?
Typically this happens when the wood being used is under seasoned.

Typically this happens when the wood being used is under seasoned.
Interesting. This wood is 15% red oak measured on a fresh split

No moisture comes out of the end grain at all when burning. Zero

Is this on a load that was loaded up with no coals in a cold the stove? I've had this happen on occasion, but after the Initial reload it didn't happen again.

Nothing at all comes out of the chimney either.

Nope stove was hot with coals. I mean the side pieces burnt but the middle was gone and the side pieces were still big

Loading north to south. (End grains facing door)

Hi all I just joined a moment ago so if I am not doing this right just tell me . We just built a fire in our brand new BK Princess yesterday for the first time. I figured I would have questions and I have had a few but I thought why not join and have a place to ask where there are people that know. I will try to upload a photo so we will see how it goes? Talk to you soon Jeff P.S. I guess it worked
IMG_0903.JPG

Nope stove was hot with coals. I mean the side pieces burnt but the middle was gone and the side pieces were still big

I'm having the same thing in my Ashford. Not all too worried yet, the season is young and draft is weak with the high temps outside. I see you're in NJ, so probably have temps similar to here (50s).

If it's still happening when temps drop, then I'll start looking at it more.

I
Hi all I just joined a moment ago so if I am not doing this right just tell me . We just built a fire in our brand new BK Princess yesterday for the first time. I figured I would have questions and I have had a few but I thought why not join and have a place to ask where there are people that know. I will try to upload a photo so we will see how it goes? Talk to you soon Jeff P.S. I guess it worked
View attachment 163156
I recognize that hearth!

Reactions: Highbeam
For me, in the winter with full loads, the center burns out first and then I have a split fire. One on each side. The harder I'm running the stove, the less likely I am to have any unburnt chunks left over after the burn stops. You're doing things right to get 24-30 hour burntimes this time of year with the corresponding weaker draft.

I see dramtically lss charcoal in the corners when I load EW and burn front to back compared to any other way.

Reactions: Ashful
I am currently on page 8 and I am reading the whole thread. I am at a point where the people are talking about the new stoves not having numbers on the draft control. I wanted some way to quickly be able to tell my wife where to put the dial when she asked.
I thought I could show you what I have done,... So I went to my office and asked a girl there to take the label maker and make me a label that says 1 2 3 4 5 6 with a space between each letter. Then I came home cut the numbers up and stuck them on the dial in accordance with the "swish" mark "1 at the beginning and 6 at the end where it gets large".
Just me but I know it makes her feel better to know what she is doing with the draft. I can climb my deer stand in the dark and have plowed the roads in a white out. I know the no numbers thing would not be an issue for me. This however is was not about me, now it is a non issue for anyone else too.IMG_0905.JPG

Need the number or at least some reference on the thermo sticker.

Anyhow, over night burning only here. Cleaned chimney but just removed the ash from the stove. Couldn't be on with intensive cleaning with tooth brush. Better things to do TBH.

Even Woodstock uses tick marks and/or numbers for reference.
In the event that you can convince BK to produce a new sticker, hopefully it will be marked with sufficiently small tick marks. Here is my Fireview for reference; 1/4 either side of 1 makes a huge difference in how my stove burns . The WS IS is more controllable than the Fireview and it does appear to have finer tick marks but I don't have a picture of it.

Good luck in getting what you believe will improve your stoves.

IMG_0888.JPG

I'm pretty sure I could get along just fine without numbers, but they're pretty handy to have if you're trying to explain to your mother-in-law what to do from the ER when you're there with a sick kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.