2016-17 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree here. The cat pulls more btu's from each piece of wood and puts it in my house. My tube stove (hearthstone) would put out the same amount of heat as my princess but would chew through the wood load much faster. That's only one man's real world observation though.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk
Hmm. Now I'm really confused. If what you say is true, why would people in a colder climate have the option to buy a stove that puts out less BTUs with tubes?

Because land of the free that's why....

Oh wait we're not really that anymore either. :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Whoa now. Look closer. The highest efficiencies come from the dirtiest burners in the BK lineup. Low emissions does not mean high efficiency.

The most efficient of the BK designs was the apex wood furnace which even beat the current champion of the EPA, the king, but made emissions well into the 3s in gph.

The insert princess is from the old lineup and is only slightly dirtier than the princess stove but also less efficient. It is an insert after all. The 0.8 line includes steel cats and design changes that also leave some efficiency on the table.

I prefer to focus on excellent efficiency, longest burn times, and very good emissions that all of the BKs make.
Highbeam,

The gr/hr of the Apex was not based upon method 28, rather B415.1-10, a completely different test method.

Second, the fuel loads for size of firebox vary from all 4 x 4 (greater than 3 cu ft) to a mix of 4 x 4 and 2 x 4 (less than 3 cu ft) You cannot compare the numbers outside the various range of firebox size due to this. Also, this is all done with dimensional lumber. (cribs)

Once the EPA approves a cordwood test method, then some better (meaning more comparable) numbers will be available.

I noticed bk has an option for Canadians only to order king and princess stoves in a non cat version. EPA laws or something regulate us out of that option?
ONLY available in a few tribal or unregulated areas of Canada.

Hmm. Now I'm really confused. If what you say is true, why would people in a colder climate have the option to buy a stove that puts out less BTUs with tubes?
Tube stoves, like cat stoves, vary in efficiency and their ability to put heat into the room. There are advantages to each which has been covered in many threads here, including comparisons (and opinions) from very cold climates. In general, flue temps are an indicator of how much heat is going up the flue and not into the room. There can be a 300ºF or more difference between different stoves. However, if the flue temps get too low the trade off can be a dirtier chimney.

Just got done watching a "This Old House" where they were replacing an old oil fired boiler that had a flue running 500F. They said that was inefficient. My wife looked at me and said "what does ours run"? I replied "The Ashford runs 150-350, usually around 300, the old stove ran around 600-1000". Sometimes it got scary hot.

At 8:00 AM our neighbor, who is going to have a Princess installed in a couple of weeks, stopped by to see my Ashford in operation. She asked how often do you put wood in it? I answered "tomorrow". What???

I skipped sweeping the flue this year as it is clean. Active cat+ dry wood=clean stack.

I am really really happy with my BK.

Bad news for me. My new sirocco 30.1 should have been delivered to the dealer by yesterday, for my installer to pick it up next week. I called to make sure everything was good and was told that it wouldn't be in until the end of October.....

I called blaze king and from there end it looks like my stove was only ordered two days ago, not the three weeks ago that I paid for it in full. I would drive the four hours to the factory to pick it up myself if it meant never seeing or giving that dealer another cent.

Cold house and boiling blood.
Oh well.

Bad news for me. My new sirocco 30.1 should have been delivered to the dealer by yesterday, for my installer to pick it up next week. I called to make sure everything was good and was told that it wouldn't be in until the end of October.....

I called blaze king and from there end it looks like my stove was only ordered two days ago, not the three weeks ago that I paid for it in full. I would drive the four hours to the factory to pick it up myself if it meant never seeing or giving that dealer another cent.

Cold house and boiling blood.
Oh well.
That's a shame! I would be driving to pick it up if I had that option. What was the dealers response?

That's a shame! I would be driving to pick it up if I had that option. What was the dealers response?

The owner left a message saying sorry, but with no explanation. I'll go in on monday when he's there. Not much he can do now though I imagine.

There is another place in town that has two in stock, but I already paid this guy. And those two were built last year and I was looking forward to a brand new one.

The owner left a message saying sorry, but with no explanation. I'll go in on monday when he's there. Not much he can do now though I imagine.

There is another place in town that has two in stock, but I already paid this guy. And those two were built last year and I was looking forward to a brand new one.

Expediting shipping is always an option. $$$$

Did you pay with credit card? If so, there may be grounds to cancel and get a refund via the CC company.

I did it.
Despite all my trials and tribulations with the BK dealer,I put all that aside and my wife gave the go ahead tonight to cure the paint on our new Blaze King Chinook 30.
I lit about 1/4 of a super cedar,some fatwood,a couple TSC eco-bricks and finally a few kiln dried splits.
Thanks to all the great info I have absorbed from this forum the Chinook 30 was easier to start as a novice than any previous anthracite burning I have done over the last 30 years.
Kept door unlatched until everything was well caught,latched door,waited about 20 minutes and walla,I'm in the active zone.
I close the bypass,watch the flame disappear and would you believe the cat started glowing,like its supposed too!
After dealing with coal for decades this seemed too good to be true.
No smoke spilage even with moderate temps,took about 10 seconds of holding a duraflame lighter to the super cedar(the keystoker coal stove took blow torches,charcoal,boxes of matches etc...).
I love you BK and the alien technology and I will let everyone know if my opinion changes.
And once again,thank you to all the active forum members providing a wealth of knowledge to those willing to seek it out.You guys rule.

I'm a weather buff too.

My station:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KPABEARC3

Attachments

• 20161001_203554.jpg
    20161001_203554.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 305
  • 20161001_210310.jpg
    20161001_210310.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 335
  • 20161001_211838.jpg
    20161001_211838.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 308
  • 20161001_211523.jpg
    20161001_211523.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
It is not the dealers fault. We are out of stock on specific models. Thank you for your patience.

Chris
BKVP

It is not the dealers fault. We are out of stock on specific models. Thank you for your patience.

Chris
BKVP
We'll have time to talk about the dealer network in the future.
The product itself is unparalleled.

There are two dialogues going on here.

Reactions: Highbeam
I did it.
Despite all my trials and tribulations with the BK dealer,I put all that aside and my wife gave the go ahead tonight to cure the paint on our new Blaze King Chinook 30.
I lit about 1/4 of a super cedar,some fatwood,a couple TSC eco-bricks and finally a few kiln dried splits.
Thanks to all the great info I have absorbed from this forum the Chinook 30 was easier to start as a novice than any previous anthracite burning I have done over the last 30 years.
Kept door unlatched until everything was well caught,latched door,waited about 20 minutes and walla,I'm in the active zone.
I close the bypass,watch the flame disappear and would you believe the cat started glowing,like its supposed too!
After dealing with coal for decades this seemed too good to be true.
No smoke spilage even with moderate temps,took about 10 seconds of holding a duraflame lighter to the super cedar(the keystoker coal stove took blow torches,charcoal,boxes of matches etc...).
I love you BK and the alien technology and I will let everyone know if my opinion changes.
And once again,thank you to all the active forum members providing a wealth of knowledge to those willing to seek it out.You guys rule.

I'm a weather buff too.

My station:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KPABEARC3

When you close the bypass, be sure to rotate that lever until it cams over and clicks into place.

When you close the bypass, be sure to rotate that lever until it cams over and clicks into place.
Interesting.
I only moved it to the direct opposite position of open.If I keep pushing something clicks and it ends up in about the 4 o'clock position,in other words,slightly facing down?

Last edited:
does anyone know how much the convection deck is for the princess?

Interesting.
I only moved it to the direct opposite position of open.If I keep pushing something clicks and it ends up in about the 4 o'clock position,in other words,slightly facing down?

The click is correct. I ran my stove for about a month just turning the handle before a conversation came up about the "click" and I realized I wasn't doing it correctly.

Reactions: begreen and drstorm
The click is correct. I ran my stove for about a month just turning the handle before a conversation came up about the "click" and I realized I wasn't doing it correctly.
Got it.
Thx....

Reactions: Highbeam
Estwing.com is the correct url for the hammer maker. I coild take a picture of one of mine if i was willing to get out of my chair.
Didn't have to get out of my chair...already had the pic. :)
001.JPG 003.JPG

Nice little hand splitter. I won't buy a hammer/sledge etc. not made in the U.S.A. While using a cheapie hammer a chunk flew out. It missed me but losing an eye just to save a few $ is not smart.

Nice little hand splitter. I won't buy a hammer/sledge etc. not made in the U.S.A. While using a cheapie hammer a chunk flew out. It missed me but losing an eye just to save a few $ is not smart.
I don't understand this logic. Great things are made in the USA, but so is crap. Likewise, Japan has phenomenal steel, and many good hand tools are made in Germany and Norway. Do you really believe buying "made in USA" reduces your likelihood of losing an eye?

Status
Not open for further replies.