2016-17 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see any tubes inside the princess. Does it come in through the front right side, and just enter behind the firebricks? I went through the online manual, and couldn't find any info or drawings on it.

The tubes are not like the tubes in a non-cat. The tubes are those two big (maybe 2"?) diameter pipes that run north/south across the roof to bring air from the rear of the stove to the front. The tubes are not perforated like in a non-cat. When you open the loading door, look at the very top corners and you can see where the tubes dump combustion air into that area at the top of the loading door. You can see them in the firebox way up near the top beside the cat chamber on either side. Heavy wall steel.

Reactions: Ashful
My lopi has them. Part of the airwash system. I know what they look like. No tubes. This is the princess insert. It must just come out in the lower fron,t below the door, and behind the firebricks. I've looked at the online manual, and don't see anything, including pics of any tubes.

I've also noticed there's also metal "tabs" on both sides of the cat. I don't see any info on those either in the manual. What the manual does talk about is different "tabs" that's helps hold the cat into place. These are on the other side of those. Some sort of air diverter, or blocker I guess. It's thin metal, not attached to the top, so it wiggles if you touch it.

Last edited:
My lopi has them. Part of the airwash system. I know what they look like. No tubes. This is the princess insert. It must just come out in the lower fron,t below the door, and behind the firebricks. I've looked at the online manual, and don't see anything, including pics of any tubes.

I've also noticed there's also metal "tabs" on both sides of the cat. I don't see any info on those either in the manual. What the manual does talk about is different "tabs" that's helps hold the cat into place. These are on the other side of those. Some sort of air diverter, or blocker I guess. It's thin metal, not attached to the top, so it wiggles if you touch it.

The extension on those tabs on each side of the cat also hold the back of the bypass damper in place. I found that out when I shut my bypass with them out. Without them the damper will raise up out of its slots

Last edited:
I figured out where the tubes are. It's more of a false wall on both sides with a tube on the inside of the false wall. The left side is for the blower fan. The right side is the air intake. It goes up the front right corner, and then comes out in a space about an inch tall, and as wide as the glass right above the glass. It's basically just hidden better than tubes out in the open.

Reactions: claybe
Can someone please lead me to the link to lubricate the air control on my King? I have the fans. 20160922_202724.jpg

Stove pipe is all painted andI don't want to reinstall it without doing this. Thanks!

2nd burn of the season. 6 small splits. Kind of a minimum load, just enough to get the cat active and take the chill off.

Can someone please lead me to the link to lubricate the air control on my King? I have the fans.View attachment 184301

Stove pipe is all painted andI don't want to reinstall it without doing this. Thanks!
I have the princess so I'm not sure this will work for you but it's very simple. In between the two fans is the thermostat housing. Mine had a sticker on it saying do not remove this cover. It's held on by 2 screws and possibly a blob of silicone. Pull that off and lube where the shaft rotates with nickel anti-seize. If I remember correctly I used a little acid brush. I was told don't worry about reapplying any silicone when you reinstall it. Btw nice swoosh sticker

Reactions: mwhitnee
image.jpeg

Pic of the new steelcat. I'm going to hold out judgment on it NOT having a gasket for now. The only instructions is "do not use a gasket, just put it in leaving room for expansion." I found that I have about 1/4" gap between the top of the cat and the stove but after an e-mail inquiry was told that was fine.

I wonder what the "official" recommendation is on the cat gasket? To use or not to use? Today I made a pyramid of small splits 6" high and 8" wide in the center of the stove for a short fire. After 12 minutes ,when the flue hit 400, I rolled the damper over with the cat thermometer pointing at "I" on inactive. Two minutes later the Cat thermometer was in the active zone bellowing heat. I guess this amazes me because my previous stove was a "downdraft" type burner and required at least 20 minutes before damper rollover. An early rollover would result in a cat ignite failure and a lot of smoke at the flue cap. Eventually I purchased an electronic cat thermometer so start-ups were not done blindly. A mechanical thermometer could not be used as it was inserted at the rear of the stove. I was not happy with that situation at all.

View attachment 184325

Pic of the new steelcat. I'm going to hold out judgment on it NOT having a gasket for now. The only instructions is "do not use a gasket, just put it in leaving room for expansion." I found that I have about 1/4" gap between the top of the cat and the stove but after an e-mail inquiry was told that was fine.

My steel cat came with a new gasket. I would acquire the required gasket and think that this is another case of a dealer more concerned with profit than making it right. The cat does look like durafoil though.

My steel cat came with a new gasket. I would acquire the required gasket and think that this is another case of a dealer more concerned with profit than making it right. The cat does look like durafoil though.

Agreed, I will get a gasket but am going to try it without just from curiousity. I don't see it expanding to the point of closing that kind of gap but only one way to find out.

The sides are fairly snug but since they advice not to use a gasket I think at least putting a lip across the top of the cat would have been better.

Agreed, I will get a gasket but am going to try it without just from curiousity. I don't see it expanding to the point of closing that kind of gap but only one way to find out.

The sides are fairly snug but since they advice not to use a gasket I think at least putting a lip across the top of the cat would have been better.
I ordered a steelcat from them too. It will be here Monday. I will see how mine fits. I read that no other gasket is needed

Yes it is the Condar unit that indicates in 50F steps. I do have a Condar probe mechanical unit in the flue. The silly electrical unit turns itself off every 2 minutes. Quite a nuisance to keep pushing the on button. Any cat stove that does not come with a cat thermometer is questionable in my book.

The silly electrical unit turns itself off every 2 minutes

At one time they sold an AC adapter for those older units, looks like they have ditched all reference to the old one in favor of the new watchmen unit. I think on AC power the unit stays on.

Most of us got the Auber AT-100 which is a lot better. Digital Cat Probe

Wonderfully, the BKs use the elegantly simple and reliable mechanical indicator. The go/no go scale is great. Could not be easier to use.

Wonderfully, the BKs use the elegantly simple and reliable mechanical indicator. The go/no go scale is great. Could not be easier to use.

That is one dial that doesn't need numbers!

Some of us have intimate knowledge of combustion. Many burners do not. The "increment less" dial permits most anybody to operate the stove with excellent results by just following the manual. Like the thermostat swoosh, having no increments avoids a lot of unnecessary operational questions induced by so-called experts that only result in improper stove operation. Then again, some people will use the manual to start the fire and condemn the stove as no good. If you are an inquisitive combustion tech, replace the thermometer with one that has marked graduations and analyze away. Ask all the questions you want. Just do it here, where the true experts will actually reside.

...my previous stove was a "downdraft" type burner and required at least 20 minutes before damper rollover. An early rollover would result in a cat ignite failure and a lot of smoke at the flue cap. Eventually I purchased an electronic cat thermometer so start-ups were not done blindly. A mechanical thermometer could not be used as it was inserted at the rear of the stove. I was not happy with that situation at all.

Ditto, on that. Mine was a Jotul F12, and I got used to it, because I didn't know any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 184325

I can't wait to hear your review on the steel cat, especially since it doesn't need a gasket! Where did you get it and how much did you pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.