2016-17 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wait to hear your review on the steel cat, especially since it doesn't need a gasket! Where did you get it and how much did you pay?

Condar

$296.00 plus 15.00 shipping

The review may be a while. Been unseasonably warm here and the weatherman said to expect that trend hold to the end of October.

I can't wait to hear your review on the steel cat, especially since it doesn't need a gasket! Where did you get it and how much did you pay?

I wonder if the steelcat can be removed and replaced repeatedly without a gasket. How convenient to be able to remove the cat for regular service like a Woodstock. They earned a win in that category.

Yes, a very important question as the Condar web site states no gasket is necessary. Perhaps due to packaging the leakage is minimized or they don't care about obtaining the lowest possible grams per hour?

Yes, a very important question as the Condar web site states no gasket is necessary. Perhaps due to packaging the leakage is minimized or they don't care about obtaining the lowest possible grams per hour?

Condar might not care but the BK was tested with a gasket and the emissions rating was earned that way. We see how important a super tight bypass seal is for reducing emissions so an actual gap around the cat is not bueno. Not to mention the cat might actually fall out.

Unless there is some type of expansion that is expected to occur during warm up that will create a seal around the cat (good idea but doubtful) then the gap will lead to increased emissions.

I hope @BKVP gets a chance to weigh in. Probably very busy this time of year.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I received my steel cat from condar today and it is durafoil. There's something wrapped around the outside of the can. It appears to be tape, I'm not sure why it's there. It goes around the whole perimeter of the can. I still have my ceramic cat installed so I'm not sure of the fit. Maybe the gasket is between the durafoil and the can and the can will expand outwards? I guess there's only one way to tell and that's to install and fire it up!

Reactions: tarzan
For what it's worth, all the Blaze Kings that are equipped with a steel cat from the factory have a gasket.
I find it highly unlikely that a gasket is not required. I've never seen one that had a gap around it that didn't require a gasket.

Reactions: Ashful
View attachment 184517 View attachment 184518 View attachment 184517 I received my steel cat from condar today and it is durafoil. There's something wrapped around the outside of the can. It appears to be tape, I'm not sure why it's there. It goes around the whole perimeter of the can. I still have my ceramic cat installed so I'm not sure of the fit. Maybe the gasket is between the durafoil and the can and the can will expand outwards? I guess there's only one way to tell and that's to install and fire it up!
I guess I am confused a little, Woody didn't you buy you stove the same time I bought mine, last fall? If so why are you replacing your cat after one season? Did it get damaged or do you just want to try a steel cat?

Condar might not care but the BK was tested with a gasket and the emissions rating was earned that way. We see how important a super tight bypass seal is for reducing emissions so an actual gap around the cat is not bueno. Not to mention the cat might actually fall out.

Unless there is some type of expansion that is expected to occur during warm up that will create a seal around the cat (good idea but doubtful) then the gap will lead to increased emissions.

I hope @BKVP gets a chance to weigh in. Probably very busy this time of year.
All our products, 100%, require interam expanding gasket. 100%!

I guess I am confused a little, Woody didn't you buy you stove the same time I bought mine, last fall? If so why are you replacing your cat after one season? Did it get damaged or do you just want to try a steel cat?
Two reasons, one I want to try the steel to see if I notice a difference and 2, I want a backup in case something happens in the dead of winter because this stove is our only source of heat.

Stopped by my local BK dealer today with a random split out of my stacks and my handheld BK moisture meyer thingy.

I asked if the MM was broken because it wouldnt indicate how dry my wood is.

The three guys behind the counter verdicy is my MM is working fine ( the three of them tested a BUNCH of pieces), my random split is under 7% MC, and i think they were joking about having a trophy ready for pick up at my next visit.

Reactions: Badger and Ashful
Stopped by my local BK dealer today with a random split out of my stacks and my handheld BK moisture meyer thingy.

I asked if the MM was broken because it wouldnt indicate how dry my wood is.

The three guys behind the counter verdicy is my MM is working fine ( the three of them tested a BUNCH of pieces), my random split is under 7% MC, and i think they were joking about having a trophy ready for pick up at my next visit.

I got to use my fancy BK moisture meter this weekend too! My splits were all between 9 and 12% after sitting out in the weather for two years and top covered for the third summer. Should make good stove chow.

Reactions: Poindexter
I got to use my fancy BK moisture meter this weekend too! My splits were all between 9 and 12% after sitting out in the weather for two years and top covered for the third summer. Should make good stove chow.

Where does one acquire one of these BK moisture meters?!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where does one acquire one of these BK moisture meters?!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I got mine at my BK dealer. I am pretty aure it is an mic unit with a BK sticker on the front. I bet i can find mic on the back of the unit is less then tem seconds, from tbe baxk yard in a chair.

Brb...

Hmmm. After 25 seconds i couldnt find mi anything on the outside.

It was about 25 bucks.

I will say when it broke i was able to take it apart and fix it, but unique among $25 moisture meters i was able to put it ba k together and keep using it.

I have no reason to think it is any more or less accurate than any other $25 unit, but the bk logo on the front is cool.

Fired up the stove last night. It wasn't quite stove weather but I really wanted to see if this new, no gasket required Steelcat had some kind of magical expanding properties.

It doesn't! If anything it feels and looks like a looser fit than before I lit it off.

I did contact Condar via E-mail before I tried it concerning the 1/4" gap and asked about a gasket. I got a quick reply that stated no gasket is required and to remember air would take the path of least resistance. Ok, I would think a 1/4"x10 1/2" opening above the cat would offer very little resistance But what do I know lol

All our products, 100%, require interam expanding gasket. 100%!

Well there you have it folks- condar or not there is no way I will run mine without a gasket.....

That said, where is the cheapest place to buy it in bulk?

image.jpeg

I used the tip of the screwdriver to push the cat up. It was easier to show the gap from the bottom than trying to get a pic from the top of the cat. Besides the tip of screwdriver makes a good reference.

I doubt I will pursue this any further with Condar. It's pretty clear that they believe no gasket is needed and I believe it is.

View attachment 184629

I used the tip of the screwdriver to push the cat up. It was easier to show the gap from the bottom than trying to get a pic from the top of the cat. Besides the tip of screwdriver makes a good reference.

I doubt I will pursue this any further with Condar. It's pretty clear that they believe no gasket is needed and I believe it is.

See, once again, buying direct from BK would have prevented this issue. The third party has no idea what they are doing. They have "doubled down" on their decision that no gasket is needed which is in obvious and direct conflict with the manufacturer and even the law. You are bypassing an emissions device without that gasket.

Condar is a pretty big name, they are the OEM manufacturer for some things. You'd think that they could get this right.

Possibilities:
1. Any cat bypass will result in a dirtier burn. Not good. How much dirtier and if you care are different questions but as for me, I still inhale. I paid the big bucks to have and am proud of a stove that emits .8gph. I do brag about this.
2. Due to thermal movement, the cat might flop out of the frame and lean against the anti flame impingement plate. Bad things might happen.
3. Creosote might build up and lock the cat in place. It might, in the long term, cause corrosion of the holder.
4. An unanticipated bad thing might happen. BK has already spent the time and dollars to a prove a combustion system. For $13 why change it. BKVP is the authority here. He might enlighten us to the specifics as to why the gasket is %100 of the time to be used.
5. Having a gasketless cat makes cleaning/inspection somewhat easier. Good selling point for Condar. The pollution police might disagree tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.