2016-17 prices?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CL ad was posted yesterday listing one ton of NEWPS for $125 in Wenham, MA. Ad is already deleted but hope someone here snagged it. As I said in other posts, patience will be rewarded. Nothing like 80-90 degree temps in mid-Sept to drive prices down.

Reactions: bogieb
I'm surprised to see pellets starting off at what they were last year. big boxes are same at $259/ton. I believe they will come down due to several factors at play.

1. colder winter expected - this seems to be the only thing they are taking into consideration.
2. people have leftover pellets from last year.
3. oil is cheaper than burning pellets at $259 a ton. pellets are more work than oil.
4. At the end of last year there was a huge surplus of unsold pellets. hundreds of tons and they let them all go at $199 a ton. a lot of pellet users like myself, stocked up on many years worth. I bought so many i was concerned in the beginning about my garage slab being able to hold all those pellets. I will not be buying pellets again for at least 3-4 years unless i see $200 a ton pricing, at which point i will top up the stash. I re-arranged my garage 2 weeks ago and i believe i can fit another 4 tons in there.

I'm concerned though because if we help to control runaway prices by stocking up at low prices like I have, pellet mfg facilities close up shop. several went out of business last season. Next, the big boxes will stop carrying them.

I did find 1 local place already that has cash&carry pellets for 200 a ton. I didnt even stop to look because all summer long those pellets were outside in the yard. they cant be in great shape.

My pellet supplier went from selling pellets 2 years ago at $160 a ton next year $220 a ton and now $165 a ton so not so sure there isn't a little extra profit to be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.