2016/2017 VC owners thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My stove is still trying to destruct itself.
I have a marker on my thermostat, the marker does read 30-40 deg high.

All gaskets are good. Thermostat assembly operates correctly. This was on low and towards the later half of the burn cycle. Also the cat is operating much warmer and there's an audible rumble, I don't have the AT100 probe but do have factory probe its reading upper 1/3 to 1/4 during burn cycle.

Any of you ever pressurize your stove to seek out leaks?
I've got to nail this down or it's time to call my dealer and see if this could
be a warranty matter. The stove was installed mid November.
Can you try putting a very bright light in the stove and turn all the lights off? Obviously the stove has to be cold and it has to be night time. I have also read on here about people putting a "smoke stick" in their stove to check for leaks. I don't exactly know what it is or where you obtain one. I sure someone here does however.

May try the light trick tonight. I may block everything off and ignite a nice pile of red oak kindling and pump it full of smoke that has a good smell to it. Gotta figure this issue out, I hate flipping the switch on the house thermostat.

Last edited:
My stove is still trying to destruct itself.
I have a marker on my thermostat, the marker does read 30-40 deg high.

All gaskets are good. Thermostat assembly operates correctly. This was on low and towards the later half of the burn cycle. Also the cat is operating much warmer and there's an audible rumble, I don't have the AT100 probe but do have factory probe its reading upper 1/3 to 1/4 during burn cycle.

Any of you ever pressurize your stove to seek out leaks?
I've got to nail this down or it's time to call my dealer and see if this could
be a warranty matter. The stove was installed mid November.

You can not pressurize this stove. 750 is indeed high.
What do you mean 1/3 to 1/4......

Smoke and light test yielded negative results. I was intrigued when using the light that there is an air inlet above the primary air that feeds the catalyst, I could see light coming through out the rear of the stove. Does this secondary air inlet have any regulation?

I am calling my local HVAC I bought it from tomorrow to see if they have a smoke bomb I can try, wasn't able to pump it full as smoke like I wanted. I'm hoping he has some good input and goes the extra mile to get this stove back in service.

The stove is cold and so is the air outside tonight.

Smoke and light test yielded negative results. I was intrigued when using the light that there is an air inlet above the primary air that feeds the catalyst, I could see light coming through out the rear of the stove. Does this secondary air inlet have any regulation?

I am calling my local HVAC I bought it from tomorrow to see if they have a smoke bomb I can try, wasn't able to pump it full as smoke like I wanted. I'm hoping he has some good input and goes the extra mile to get this stove back in service.

The stove is cold and so is the air outside tonight.
If the stove design is the same as my 2550 there should be a shutter connected to a coil. As the stove heats up the coil expands and shuts the shutter regulating the secondary air.

How old is the stove?

He said it's a new 2040. I just tried looking at a parts diagram but I wasn't getting much luck with the particular website I was on.

I am pretty sure the 2040 has the same thermostatic coil and the two EPA holes at the front. Just like the 2550.

I was not sure exactly what he meant regarding the 1/3 and 1/4 on the cat probe.

remove the bottom heat shield?
I'd leave the shield on, to keep the heat in the stove and room as much as possible instead of heating concrete and dirt...

I'd leave the shield on, to keep the heat in the stove and room as much as possible instead of heating concrete and dirt...

i am going to leave it, but my original thought is that since i have a big area of ceramic tile, it might heat up and radiate a bit more. Once the floor is warmed up, it is really nice :)

i told my wife that when we redo the bathroom, we are going to do radiant heat flooring....

i am going to leave it, but my original thought is that since i have a big area of ceramic tile, it might heat up and radiate a bit more. Once the floor is warmed up, it is really nice :)
Well yeah, a warm floor is nice, but there is going to be some heat lost to the outdoors...
I was not sure exactly what he meant regarding the 1/3 and 1/4 on the cat probe.
I'm guessing the needle was 2/3 to 3/4 of the way to the top of the scale?

Well yeah, a warm floor is nice, but there is going to be some heat lost to the outdoors...
I'm guessing the needle was 2/3 to 3/4 of the way to the top of the scale?

That would make sense as for the needle.

I am calling my local HVAC I bought it from tomorrow to see if they have a smoke bomb I can try, wasn't able to pump it full as smoke like I wanted.
I would go around the outside of the stove along seams with an incense stick when the stove is running, and see if smoke is being pulled into the stove anywhere.

I would go around the outside of the stove along seams with an incense stick when the stove is running, and see if smoke is being pulled into the stove anywhere.

That is what I would do. But I think this is a new stove.

Can you try putting a very bright light in the stove and turn all the lights off? Obviously the stove has to be cold and it has to be night time. I have also read on here about people putting a "smoke stick" in their stove to check for leaks. I don't exactly know what it is or where you obtain one. I sure someone here does however.

VC cat stoves are unfortunately prone to run too hot with ANY leakage. It is just how they were engineered.
To find an air leak in the casts or gaskets, or in the ash pan assembly attachment, use a SMOKE PELLET. They are available from a good stove shop or online, or maybe fire depts ( Jake ? )
First block off the flue ( the attorney says: " Extinguish the fire" (sic ) ).
Light the smoke pellet ( attorney also says : "vent room" ).
The smoke pellets are cone shaped, about a couple of inches tall, and do produce mucho smoke.
The incense sticks or light will not always show leaks.

How'd I do ?

Reactions: Reckless
I think the door helps with that too :)
07e8063f-538d-4263-b91d-0e4e58398b69.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Woody Stover
That is what I would do. But I think this is a new stove.
Something changed since he got it, as he was able to run lower until recently...

He should plug one or both of the EPA (locate them first) and see if the stovetop temps are more controllable. If so, then go krazy with re-gasketing!!

I talked to my stove dealer, he does not have complete knowledge on the stove, told me I shouldn't be running with the cat engaged consistently because it creates a large amount of heat and he thought that was my problem and also asked if I had the flappers closed on the side of the stove that let air in.
Filled him in on the operation of the stove and the details on how it used to run.
Called him this morning with my problems he was going to do his research and print me a service manual, didn't have time with work to go and pick it up. Ill be at his door tomorrow morning.

I asked about the inert smoke emitters he doesn't have them, called several other hvac companies nobody does. I'm going to order a pack of them tonight.

And yes when I was talking about the catalyst probe the needle was on the high side of the gauge and cat operation quite audible which was not the case prior. Maybe my secondary isn't closing correctly? I didn't know it was regulated. Also I did try incense stick and also a lighter, no luck.

when I was talking about the catalyst probe the needle was on the high side of the gauge and cat operation quite audible which was not the case prior. Maybe my secondary isn't closing correctly? I didn't know it was regulated. Also I did try incense stick and also a lighter, no luck.
I think that "rumble" is often heard when the re-burn gets rolling good.
Strange that you can't find any additional air being drawn in.
Have you got some bigger splits to burn? They should result in slower, more controlled gassing of the load. What split size have you been using?

Yes try bigger splits on reload. I do hear a rumble on my old 028 encore if reloading with smaller splits with a lot of hot coals and let it get too hot before turning down air

I use larger splits whenever I can, this isn't a fuel issue. I burn primarily red and white oak with occasional shag bark hickory I harvest on our farms.

The dealer seems to think there is no service manual for the stove, I disagree. I can find a service manual for a 0028 online.

Status
Not open for further replies.