2016/2017 VC owners thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's wrong with your current Cat?
its missing a few things, and it is cracked
20161223_165802.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Came across this and thought others here could use it. A complete list of gaskets for all VC models.

Attachments

• Vermont Castings Gaskets by Model.pdf
    55 KB · Views: 1,773
Got the 2550 running on all cylinders here along the Gulf Coast. Supposed to be in the low 20's by morning. I love my woodstove.

My new 2040 that previously would maintain a 400 deg stove top temp for hours will no longer perform that. A full load burns off in 6 hours with stove top temp of 550-625 with air control on low. I have done a smoke stick can't find a source of uncontrolled air. I think it started doing this last week when I got busy for a few minutes and closed damper at 650 deg stove top and put it on low to bring it down. Hasn't been the same since. I don't see any signs of warping.
Any tips or tricks? I need my old stove back I don't trust it anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_3390.JPG
    IMG_3390.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 174
A full load burns off in 6 hours with stove top temp of 550-625 with air control on low.

This is pretty average for this stove.

Gaskets maybe. Or an obstruction with the primary air inlet. Do you have any control?

Reactions: BronYrAur
You see 600' midway through burn cycle on low?
600 might be a bit high, but 500-550 yup. The magnetic thermo might be off too....

But if you have no control over the stove. That is, set fully closed and you see lots of flame in the box, then a leaking gasket somewhere for sure!
First one to check would be the ash pan.

Reactions: BronYrAur
Thanks for the help guys.

I have moderate to good flame control but coals tend to glow brighter than before... don't get to tell the stove top temp what to do like I was able previously, I marveled at the control I had before.

Checked the primary air function it is behaving and closing completely
I smoke penned the front doors and ash pan, no draw but I'll adjust them tighter. After I had closed the damper that time it got hot there was a louder pop/click than the stove usually makes from time to time which led me to believe I had cracked something or popped a piece of stove cement out. I peeked around the inside the stove the best I could didn't see anything out of place although I am new to this stove.

I wouldn't think closing damper at 650 would crack anything. 650 is warm for sure but not nuclear reactor warm.

Once stove cold, do the dollar test on the damper.
Don't forget, the colder outside.. the stronger the stove will draw.

Yeah I thought the same thing as far as temp, the book says don't make her glow! Im down to coals I'll run her down the rest of today and check the damper gasket this eve.

I've got 25 ft 6" SS liner in prefab chimney outside air temps are mid 20's. We were -10 deg 3 weeks ago and I could control it better.

Thanks for the input fellas.

Three hours into the burn:

Stove top 550
Flue probe 300
Cat probe 1350

Wisps of blue flame in the firebox
Sounds like a good burn.

I had a really good burn last night in my defiant. Cat peaked at about 1625. Cruised real well. Then this morning on my reload the cat raced up to 1100 then dropped to 875 then climbed back up to 1050 then dropped to 775 then went back up and dropped again. Finally after watching it do this for awhile it settled in at 1300. Wired. Don't know what to make of it.

I will get that kind of behavior sometimes on windy days. Also, when was the last time you removed the hood and looked at the cat?

Anytime my stove is cold (not very often lately), I will take a peak at the cat. Take a small brush with soft bristles and gently run it across the top of the cat. There is always a bit of ash on top of the cat.

I am currently letting the stove go cold so I can give the cat a cleaning.

Randy

In your avatar, are the splits resting against your stove (leg)?

Yeah just on the leg and staked in a pyramid away from the side of the stove. A bit on the close side.

I would say.....a bit close!!

This pic was taken some time ago and wood is no longer set there. Due to obvious reasons.

Nice.

My stove is still trying to destruct itself.
I have a marker on my thermostat, the marker does read 30-40 deg high.

All gaskets are good. Thermostat assembly operates correctly. This was on low and towards the later half of the burn cycle. Also the cat is operating much warmer and there's an audible rumble, I don't have the AT100 probe but do have factory probe its reading upper 1/3 to 1/4 during burn cycle.

Any of you ever pressurize your stove to seek out leaks?
I've got to nail this down or it's time to call my dealer and see if this could
be a warranty matter. The stove was installed mid November.

Attachments

• IMG_3404.JPG
    IMG_3404.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 183
Status
Not open for further replies.